Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PS3 as a media hub: What do you DO with it?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-24-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear several people on this forum discussing the PS3 as a media hub. I know that some of the attraction is having PS3 with a big harddrive to store pictures, music, etc.

I haven't gotten that much use out of it as a storage device/media hub, and maybe its because I don't fully understand how I'm able to use it. More than anything, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something (or get some suggestions on how other people use it).

(My caveat to prospective PS3 readers is that I LOVE it for it's (my) main uses: upconversion, blu ray, and occasional gaming.)

Here's my situation:

1) MUSIC: I have more music than I could ever store on a 80gb (or 160gb) PS3. When I play music in our family room, I put in a cd. When I want to make a mix (e.g. we're having a Halloween party or something), I usually make it on my ipod, and use a cable to plug the Ipod into my receiver (Onkyo 605). I can imagine putting several of my favorite cd's on there for instant play, but that doesn't seem like a big perk to me. I know not everybody has as much music as I do, and it would obviously be cool if you could get your whole collection on there.

2) PICTURES: I know I can store pics on a PS3, but my computer just seems more logical: it seems much easier to create folders, email them to friends, burn to a CD, etc. on a computer.

3) BROWSER: I know there is an internet browser, but the virtual keypad obviously isn't very efficient. What do people use their internet browser for?

4) PSN: I realize that people can use the harddrive to download episodes, movies and games. I have downloaded a game or two, but don't foresee doing it with movies/tv as between interlibrary loan and redbox, they get pretty much everything (though not so much blu-ray yet).

Again, I have been very impressed with pretty much everything on the PS3. This is the first console I have where I can plug into the internet, so PSN and even multiplayer games via the internet still impress me. I never did that much gaming on my computer.

Finally, I know everybody has their preferences, so maybe mine is using Ipod, computer and PS3 all separately. I'm fine with that, but just wanted to make sure that I understood how to get full use out of PS3 prior to rejecting its other applications.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me start by saying that I DO use my PS3 as a media hub, with a 320 GB HDD and my entire 60 GB of music MP3s I ripped from my own CDs on it, plus a few movies and pictures. I can also stream all of those from my computer if I want using TVersity.

1) How many songs do you have? I have over 12,000 on my PS3
2) Imagine your hi-def pictures on a larger display? I can show my pictures on a 92 inch screen
3) I use the browser for sites just like this, where I do more clicking than typing, and even if I do, the virtual keypad works for me
4) I only use PSN to get games, add-ons, themes and wallpapers, and other content. Not really using it as a movie/show resource - yet

Let us know if you have more questions.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 11-24-08 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use TVersity on my PC. I download TV shows and stuff like that, stick them all in a folder on my computer that I direct TVersity to, and when I turn on my PS3 I can play all of the stuff on my PC on my TV. This is just about my favorite feature of the PS3 now other than it playing Blu-ray movies. I only found out how to do this a few weeks ago, and now I use it like this almost every single day.

It's also great to use like this for the pictures, music, and everything else.

Using a PC as a server, and playing all that media through the PS3 on my HDTV is just the best. I love, love, love it.
Old 11-24-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts
My son has mainly loaded music on it. Also a few videos. We also have some pictures. For net you know you could get a wireless keyboard if you want.
Old 11-24-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
I use TVersity on my PC. I download TV shows and stuff like that, stick them all in a folder on my computer that I direct TVersity to, and when I turn on my PS3 I can play all of the stuff on my PC on my TV. This is just about my favorite feature of the PS3 now other than it playing Blu-ray movies. I only found out how to do this a few weeks ago, and now I use it like this almost every single day.

It's also great to use like this for the pictures, music, and everything else.

Using a PC as a server, and playing all that media through the PS3 on my HDTV is just the best. I love, love, love it.
I do the same thing, except I use Nero instead of TVersity. It works great. I watch downloaded TV shows, etc. And I can also show family photos and videos on a nice big screen during family get togethers (it's MUCH better than trying to have everyone crowd around a computer monitor). I use the browser once in awhile, with a wireless keyboard. These were things I never planned on using the PS3 for when I bought one, but they are very welcome bonuses that work great. People who come over are always amazed how versatile this little machine is.
Old 11-24-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
I do the same thing, except I use Nero instead of TVersity. It works great. I watch downloaded TV shows, etc. And I can also show family photos and videos on a nice big screen during family get togethers (it's MUCH better than trying to have everyone crowd around a computer monitor). I use the browser once in awhile, with a wireless keyboard. These were things I never planned on using the PS3 for when I bought one, but they are very welcome bonuses that work great. People who come over are always amazed how versatile this little machine is.
Yep. I actually applaud the PS3 for being more than a game player for me.
Old 11-24-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I just use plain media player 10 setup to stream everything on my pc throught the ps3. I have a nice HTPC but sometimes I just don't want to switch inputs and whatnot just to watch a tv show i downloaded. The built in ablility to use media player 10 and it's library it top notch.

TVersity is also nice, best solution probablly. Not the easiest for sure I couldn't get it to see folders I wanted so I gave up and went back to win player 10 support. Cause like I said I really don't even need it but it is nice.
Old 11-24-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use mine to stream music, videos and pictures from my computer through MediaTomb. I have no interest in storing everything on the PS3 itself.

I've only used PSN to download a few trailers or demos. I've only used the browser a couple times for a quick Google search or to check the weather forecast when my computer is off.
Old 11-24-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never had heard of TVersity, but now I have it up and running and am super impressed. I very much like the idea of PC as a server running to the PS3. Great!

Keep the suggestions rollin'! I'm glad I asked, and thanks again.

Edit: I've seen mention of a PlayTV... is this something available in the US? I'm browsing around, but not finding much. What other apps are out there?

Last edited by cgray; 11-24-08 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Also checkout PlayOn

You can use that software to stream Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, ESPN, and some other things to the PS3. Works pretty good, we use it a lot.

http://www.themediamall.com/playon
Old 11-26-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Also checkout PlayOn

You can use that software to stream Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, ESPN, and some other things to the PS3. Works pretty good, we use it a lot.

http://www.themediamall.com/playon
i downloaded it (weeks ago) and still cant figure it out

now i am just waiting for tivo to add netflix as a service in december.
Old 11-26-08, 11:51 AM
Suspended

I also use TVersity. Is it possible to stream your podcasts from TVersity? I never tried.
Old 11-26-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes it is, I've done that with Tversity
Old 11-26-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Instead of installing something like TVersity, I just share what folders with Windows Media Player.

Most movie files don't need to be transcoded with TVersity since the PS3 supports most types now.

Of course I can stream music with WMP and pictures too.

I installed PlayOn which has it's issues, especially with Netflix, but I have a Roku box for that and next month I can use my Tivo.
Old 11-26-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I use mine to stream content from Windows Media Player also.

I don't know how to rip my CD's though.....if someone could explain how to, that would be helpful.
Old 11-26-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have my PS3 and 360 hooked up with Tversity for podcasts and PlayOn for Hulu and its amazing. I also use WMP11 to share music and videos.
Old 11-27-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I use mine to stream content from Windows Media Player also.

I don't know how to rip my CD's though.....if someone could explain how to, that would be helpful.
Put the CD in, find it in the menu and triangle, I believe. Should give you the option there.
Old 12-03-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I had no idea a ps3 could do all of these things, I just thought it was a video game system that could play blu rays, may have to consider one of these since was thinking of pulling the trigger on a blu ray player soon.

Totally clueless on these ofcourse, but do you have to have some kind of software/service like TVversity or MediaTomb to stream stuff from you computer or is there software already included with the ps3 that allows you to stream from your computer?
Old 12-04-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have two 500 gb external drives hooked up to my desktop and I use Simple Center to run a media server through the PS3. Works beautifully. Sold all of my CDs about a year ago.
Old 12-04-08, 09:08 AM
Cool New Member

Anyone use a Mac to stream? i have an external drive hooked up to my IMac and stream to the PS3 using Nullriver Medialink. It works great except that the tracks show up on the PS3 in alphabetical order, instead of the order recorded. On the computer they show up in the correct order. By the way Itunes tracks stream to the PS3 in the correct order. Anyone else have this problem, and if so are there some settings to change on the medialink or on the PS3? I can't seem to find any.
Thanks
Old 12-24-08, 02:44 AM

Music and photos at the same time?

Does anyone know if you can show photos and listen to music at the same time on a PS3?

Cheers, Michael.
Old 12-30-08, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by guggle
Does anyone know if you can show photos and listen to music at the same time on a PS3?

Cheers, Michael.
Yes, you can. Play your music and then push the PS button and then view your pictures. I just found this out the other day as well.

Mike
Old 11-20-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: PS3 as a media hub: What do you DO with it?

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh

Totally clueless on these ofcourse, but do you have to have some kind of software/service like TVversity or MediaTomb to stream stuff from you computer or is there software already included with the ps3 that allows you to stream from your computer?

Just curious still a year later, as I might pull the trigger on one of these this holiday season. Also, if I have video files from recorded tv on my computer, I could stream those files to be played on the ps3 and tv? Also, same with music on my computer?
Old 11-21-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just use WMP11 to stream everything. Although, the PS3 seems to have issues with my music collection as it times out when streaming.

I tried TVersity once...but the interface seemed odd to me. I was also unsure if I had to disable WMP11 or not. WMP11 works GREAT for my 360 though. Can TVersity stream .mkv files? I usually just copy those to a portable HDD and run that way from my PS3...
Old 11-21-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been using this one for awhile now and it works well for me.

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.