Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360 HD-DVD player won't play HD-DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Xbox 360 HD-DVD player won't play HD-DVD's

Hey guys I have a buddy who just got the add on for his 360. The HD player plays SD discs but not HD discs. He brought it over my house and it worked fine. He did install the installation disc on his xbox. Why in the world would this appen?

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?
Old 11-23-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Just to get this out of the way, he's not trying to play a Blu-ray Disc, right? It may be a stupid thing to ask, but I wanted to be sure that's not it.

Which disc(s) won't work?
Old 11-23-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Did he do the update? I bought the HD DVD add on for my 360 and I had to do an update the first time I used it. Weird it works on your 360 and not his.
Old 11-23-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried multiple discs? I have a National Geographic HD that my player won't load at all.
Old 11-23-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry C.
Hey guys I have a buddy who just got the add on for his 360. The HD player plays SD discs but not HD discs. He brought it over my house and it worked fine. He did install the installation disc on his xbox. Why in the world would this appen?

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?
Okay, so I don't have one of the add on drives for my 360, so not sure this is required, but is the output from the Xbox set to HD?

Last edited by sniper308; 11-23-08 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
You don't have to set the output to HD. The XBox will downcovert the 1080i/1080p to 480i just fine.

Although you do have to make sure you are using the USB cable that came with it, software is installed on the 360, and you are playing the HD DVD in the add-on itself.
Old 11-24-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes he is playing HD-DVD's LOL and we have tried many different ones. And now for some reason its not playing on mine anymore. Now I do have my install disc I put in his but it didn't make a difference. Is there some new updated that might be needed. My disc is from 2006 but I see there is a 2007 update???
Old 11-24-08, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are either of you running the NXE desktop? I was having some problems w/ my HD drive until the update. Since then everything (well so far ) has been fine.
Old 11-24-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well maybe i should have said this before what he doesn't have his 360 connected online. He moved in with a chick that doesn't have internet. Yea he's a douche.... He brought his system to my house and we did the new dash update but still nothing!!!!
Old 11-24-08, 09:24 AM

One other thing (and one of the problems the NXE seems to have fixed) is what USB port are you trying it in? Originally mine would not work in the back port at all. On the 360 Elite version that I have there's front ports[1] on which the HD drive would work about 1/2 the time.

[1] I'm not that familiar w/ the hardware layout of all the versions so I don't know if all of them have these.
Old 11-24-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nah we don't have the elite. My works perfectly in the back, but on his we tried all. But what I don't get is the standard dvd's work perfect but HD DVD say unplayable disc.
Old 11-24-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Ahh...

Since his unit is not connected to the internet, he is not getting the automatic update file for HD DVD playback. Although he has the new NXE, he needs to be connected to internet when loading an HD DVD. It will automatically load the newest HD DVD update.

Go here for the update file.

Its best to burn a CD for this one.

If it still does not work after the update, you may have to contact Microsoft since they still support the drive.
Old 11-24-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
One other thing (and one of the problems the NXE seems to have fixed) is what USB port are you trying it in? Originally mine would not work in the back port at all. On the 360 Elite version that I have there's front ports[1] on which the HD drive would work about 1/2 the time.

[1] I'm not that familiar w/ the hardware layout of all the versions so I don't know if all of them have these.
Oh man, I thought that was just me. The functionality for my HD-DVD drive and Rock Band instruments have gotten wonky and switching the ports fixed it. Then they would get wonky again and I'd switch them back. Haven't played many games since I put the NXE on but I'll be happy if that issue goes away.
Old 11-24-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by emachine12
Ahh...

Since his unit is not connected to the internet, he is not getting the automatic update file for HD DVD playback. Although he has the new NXE, he needs to be connected to internet when loading an HD DVD. It will automatically load the newest HD DVD update.

Go here for the update file.

Its best to burn a CD for this one.

If it still does not work after the update, you may have to contact Microsoft since they still support the drive.

Yes but why would it not work at my house. He had both the player and 360 we hooked it up and nothing... I have everything hooked up to the internet so his unit should have taken an update.

Still baffled how SD dvd's WORK but HD dvd do not!!!
Old 11-24-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Yes he is playing HD-DVD's LOL and we have tried many different ones.
I just wanted to be sure. FWIW, there is a thread in HD Talk where someone is asking about an "HD DVD player" and really means Blu-ray.
Old 11-24-08, 04:18 PM

Still baffled how SD dvd's WORK but HD dvd do not!!!
At this point I suspect you are looking at a hardware malfunction. I don't know the specifics of the HD drive but it wouldn't surprise me if there are in fact two lasers (one for SD and one for HD). If that is the case then the HD laser is probably the one w/ the problem. BTW does it not even recognize an HD dvd is in there or does it see it but not play it?

EDIT
but HD DVD say unplayable disc
Ok so it sounds like it sees there is something but it just can't do anything w/ it. Do you have another HD player around to make sure the DVDs are ok? I still think you're looking at a screwed up drive though.
Old 11-25-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I just wanted to be sure. FWIW, there is a thread in HD Talk where someone is asking about an "HD DVD player" and really means Blu-ray.
Thats funny!
Old 11-25-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At this point I suspect you are looking at a hardware malfunction. I don't know the specifics of the HD drive but it wouldn't surprise me if there are in fact two lasers (one for SD and one for HD). If that is the case then the HD laser is probably the one w/ the problem. BTW does it not even recognize an HD dvd is in there or does it see it but not play it?

EDIT
Ok so it sounds like it sees there is something but it just can't do anything w/ it. Do you have another HD player around to make sure the DVDs are ok? I still think you're looking at a screwed up drive though.
Yeah I have mine. All discs work perfectly on my player. Also whats werid is that the first time we put his hd dvd player on my xbox it didn't work. So then I put a different HD movie in there and it worked. All hd movies worked on his player from my xbox. He took it home and nothing. Thats when he brought his whole system over and we could not get it to play again.
Old 11-25-08, 03:56 PM

It's getting a little confusing, just to make sure we have the story straight...

Tried HD player on his Xbox, didn't work
Tried HD player on your Xbox, it worked
Tried HD player on his Xbox again it didn't work
Brought whole system to your house, HD player didn't work on either system now

SD DVDs work in the player on both systems
HD DVDs come up as unrecognized on the dashboard
Both Xboxes are running NXE
HD DVDs play fine on a console player you have

Does that sound about right? Again my guess is the HD laser in the drive is toast. Why it initially worked on your machine is anyone's guess... one final attempt at life maybe
Old 11-25-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you tried connecting it to a PC to see if it recognizes the discs? Vista will work right away, but if you have XP you'll need to look for some UDF driver.
Old 11-25-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it's getting a little confusing, just to make sure we have the story straight...

Tried hd player on his xbox, didn't work
tried hd player on your xbox, it worked
tried hd player on his xbox again it didn't work
brought whole system to your house, hd player didn't work on either system now

sd dvds work in the player on both systems
hd dvds come up as unrecognized on the dashboard
both xboxes are running nxe
hd dvds play fine on a console player you have

does that sound about right? Again my guess is the hd laser in the drive is toast. Why it initially worked on your machine is anyone's guess... One final attempt at life maybe
you got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Have you tried connecting it to a PC to see if it recognizes the discs? Vista will work right away, but if you have XP you'll need to look for some UDF driver.
LOL this is his problem I told him I through a line and see if my boys here can try and figure it out. You start talking about drivers and patches and crap and my boner goes away.

But thanks Drexl I will LMK
Old 11-25-08, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Go spend $40 on a brand new one. Problem solved

Or, go to Craigslist and pick up an A2/A3 for $70 or so and be happier.
Old 11-25-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He just got that one. I think he is calling xbox again today