Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Any News/Hope of a Futurama Resurrection?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started this thread to see if anyone had any news/rumors of a return to television for Futurama, as well as just to mark my deep appreciation for the show.

While I certainly enjoy and appreciate all the major prime-time animation programs (Simpsons/South Park/Family Guy/American Dad), Futurama, with
its sci-fi themes is definitely my personal favorite. For an animated comedy, I find the characters to be quite multidimensional and easy to identify with. Besides the grand adventures, the writers fill the dialogue with an absurd amount of quotable lines! Equally amazing is that the writers were able to
manage a handful of extremely touching episodes along with the zany adventures. I admittedly shed a few tears with episodes like "Luck of the Fryish" and "Jurassic Bark", and I know I'm not the only one~!

It's disappointing that Fox didn't really back this show like it should have. I remember that between the varying sports events, etc, that it wouldn't be
on and the time was rarely consistent. I saw a good deal of the episodes for the first time only after I purchased the DVDs. When the show was finally
given a chance on Cartoon Network, people finally got a chance to appreciate it. With only four seasons, the ratings for the show have been
excellent---with the quality and replay value, fans tune in time after time even if their hundredth time seeing the rerun! Unlike Family Guy, Futurama
holds up and will continue to do so, even without catching or knowing of
the zillions of references hidden in the show, one can still enjoy it simply for the adventure aspect and witty dialogue!

Additionally, the dvds (both the seasons and the 3 movies released so far), every one contains a commentary track--which are both informative and quite entertaining. You can tell, especially from executive producer/writer David X. Cohen, that Futurama is a labor of love, and it shows with the
entire cast and crew! If you enjoy the show, it will just make you appreciate even more. (The seasons are extremely cheap as well, I've seen them at regular price at Wal-Mart for $20/each)

With the three movies released and one to go, I'm sad to think this may
be the end of Futurama. I believe that the DVDs are selling extremely
well and the fanbase is growing further with the show's reruns playing
on comedy central. It baffles me to hear nothing of a possible resurrection thus far. It is downright frustrating to hear Fox bringing a Family Guy spinoff "Cleveland" to air when a proven show like Futurama is just thrown to the curb...

Does anyone know what the current arrangement is with Fox? Could some other network like Cartoon Network or Comedy Central bring it back? I know
the show's animation is expensive, couldn't they agree to do shorter seasons?

Thoughts?

If for some reason this post bores or does not satisfy you, I hate you.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
Old 11-22-08, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering the shit FOX put me through when the show was actually on the air, I still to this day hope that someone else picks it up (if it ever returns).

I love the show greatly, but the DVD movies aren't really giving me the same satisfaction as the show did.