Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

FYE Rebates and Sale Prices?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 11-20-08, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to assume there is a thread about this, but has anyone compiled sale prices and rebates at FYE stores?

I ask because I went to my local FYE today which was selling the Wall-E 3-Disc DVD for $29.99 with a $7 mail-in rebate, which is only about 30 cents more than the DD sale price after taxes.

I'm most curious about what the offer will be for the Dark Knight and/or Lost Season 4 on 12/9, but am obviously curious about any deals.

Also, will these deals maybe be disappearing now that FYE is pushing their Backstage Pass progam?
Old 11-20-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
FYE has been doing MIB's for years and years. I don't see them going away, even with their overpriced Backstage Pass. $25 a year to save 10% on their overpriced merchandise is a hard sell unless you shop there quite often.

I personally don't bother with the MIB. Having a choice of a A$19.99 new release with a $7 MIB which takes 2 months to come in, versus paying $14.99 at a big box retailer is a no-brainer, but sometimes you'll get a decent rebate on a box set that is worth your while. Plus the ratio of me getting then is about 50/50, considering sometimes they seem to accept the price sticker and other times they expect me to cut up the box UPC.

You can probably expect a $7 MIB for Batman and $10 MIB for Lost. Seems to be their trend.
Old 11-21-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does Men In Black have to do with their rebates?
Seriously, I have no idea what MIB stands for. Anyway, their Backstage Pass program now gives you a $20 GC, so the $25 fee is much more worth it now... Dunno if that deal is limited to Suncoast (where I saw it) or all TWEC chains, but it sounds like a good deal.
Old 11-21-08, 07:31 AM

MIB=Mail in Rebate.
Old 11-21-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Anyway, their Backstage Pass program now gives you a $20 GC, so the $25 fee is much more worth it now... Dunno if that deal is limited to Suncoast (where I saw it) or all TWEC chains, but it sounds like a good deal.
Can you elaborate on this $20 GC deal? I let my membership expire a few months ago but the current B1G1 sale has got me thinking about renewing.
Old 11-21-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GMan2819
Can you elaborate on this $20 GC deal? I let my membership expire a few months ago but the current B1G1 sale has got me thinking about renewing.
Well, I haven't done it. But according to the sign, if you buy a Backstage Pass membership, you get a $20 gift card. That's all it said.
Old 11-21-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anono
MIB=Mail in Rebate.
I figured that's what you meant. But shouldn't that be MIR? I've never seen MIB used before. But maybe I just haven't paid attention...
Mail-in-bate should be for fishers who order their bait online.
Old 11-21-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Well, I haven't done it. But according to the sign, if you buy a Backstage Pass membership, you get a $20 gift card. That's all it said.
Thanks. I will check the FYE's near me. The Suncoast near me closed down within the last year and the next closest one is a 45 min drive.
Old 11-21-08, 12:29 PM

I do like the FYE backstage pass, mainly because I trade a lot of stuff in there, and often they run deals where you get an extra 10% credit for trade-ins, etc. They also run quite a few buy 3 get the 4th free deals. A lot of their stuff can be over-priced, but they are good for quite a few bargains, and some hard to find stuff.

It's always wise to check out www.wherehouse.com before you trade stuff in, as they do offer some downright insulting trade prices for a good deal of titles.
Old 11-21-08, 12:54 PM

Frankly, I think it is extremely ill-advised at this point in the economic cycle to do any kind of mail in rebate, much less at FYE. Even when the economy was stronger, FYE was slow to pay rebates, often taking as long as 3 or 4 months. Their corporate parent is Trans World Music(TWMC), the stock is currently trading at 1.50, and they lost $28 million last quarter alone. According to their balance sheet, they had only $9 million in cash at the beginning of November. They will probably make money this Xmas, but there is another yahoo finance story where an analyst talks about their grim future.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/081120/nyth022.html?.v=101

http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany...html?ana=yfcpc

Even if you thought the company was going to survive and pay you, there is now an additional risk, as most rebates are handled by 3rd party processors. One of the largest rebate processors, a company called Continental Promotions Group, recently filed for bankruptcy. As a result, many people who had submitted rebates, saw their rebate checks bounce. There is a large thread on this on some of the other bargain boards, like Slickdeals, they handled rebates for places like Logitech, among others.

You may well find some bargains there, and the club card might be worth it, if you were going to use the gift card immediately, but there is no way I would do a mail in rebate with them at this point.
Old 11-21-08, 01:17 PM

The MIRs are a bonus for me when I buy DVDs at FYE. But then again, I only go for the Steelbooks. I got a $10 MIR for the Godfather Trilogy Steelbook put down the MSRP to $39.99 and a $7 MIR for Iron Man Steelbook to put it down to $18.99. They'll probably do a $7 MIR for the Dark Knight.
Old 11-21-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GMan2819
You should go to www.fye.com and throw something into your cart. Then sign in with your BSP number to see if you're still receiving the 10% off discount. My BSP should have expired in July, but I'm still receiving the 10% off online(I cannot speak for a B&M because I haven't bought anything in store since July).
Old 11-21-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You should go to www.fye.com and throw something into your cart. Then sign in with your BSP number to see if you're still receiving the 10% off discount. My BSP should have expired in July, but I'm still receiving the 10% off online(I cannot speak for a B&M because I haven't bought anything in store since July).
If you're planning on picking up something from the B1G1, you might want to check the B&M. I was there yesterday and noticed that some of the TV boxsets were on sale and quite a bit cheaper than the website. I believe the B1G1 is applied to the sale price. At least they were in the past.
Old 11-21-08, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by rmick
I have to assume there is a thread about this, but has anyone compiled sale prices and rebates at FYE stores?

I ask because I went to my local FYE today which was selling the Wall-E 3-Disc DVD for $29.99 with a $7 mail-in rebate, which is only about 30 cents more than the DD sale price after taxes.
While your reasoning would usually be right, it is not until this Sunday, when the 25% off sale will end at Deepdiscount.
Indeed, since you pay taxes on the $29.99, which where I'm from (Eureka, CA) comes to $2.17, the whole cost at FYE after MIR will be $25.16, whereas I only paid $19.32 for Wall-E at Deepdiscount (after 25% rebate), who does not charge me tax.
Even if Deepdiscount charged me tax, the total price (until Sunday) would still only be $20.72, or $4.44 less than what I would pay at FYE.
Old 11-22-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The rebates I've gotten from FYE have only taken about 6 weeks to receive. Also, the FYE I visit is not in a mall and their sale prices are pretty close to Best Buy and Circuit City. That extra 10% off helps too.