Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Deal of the Day: The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus 16-Ton Megaset $40

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon Deal of the Day: The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus 16-Ton Megaset $40

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised no one made a thread yet.

Save 60% on The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus 16-Ton Megaset

True Pythonites will want to own this megaset of all 45 episodes (in chronological order) of "Monty Python's Flying Circus." This "persistently silly" collection encompasses three-and-a-half seasons of dead parrots, cross-dressing lumberjacks, loonies, upper class twits, and spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, and spam.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Pytho.../dp/B0009XRZ92
Old 11-20-08, 10:14 AM

Just a reminder that the new Monty Python Flying Circus collector's megaset came out this week (and can be bought for about $70 at DD with a 25% off coupon). The 21-disc set includes a couple extra documentaries and the Personal Best DVDs.

But one DVDTalk review of the set says the older 16-Ton Megaset is "the best bang for your buck."
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35468...s-megaset-the/

Last edited by ASAPadam; 11-20-08 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 11:09 AM

Deepdiscount has it for $54.89. With their current 25% off promotion, that brings it down to $41.17, a couple bucks less than Amazon's price (if you live in a state that adds tax to Amazon orders).
Old 11-20-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

70$ for the newer set at Buy.com too - http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...54&dcaid=17654

Old 11-20-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought this for $80 a couple years ago at Costco. Still haven't watched any of it. My life sucks.
Old 11-20-08, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by punit
70$ for the newer set at Buy.com too - http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-28092...54&dcaid=17654

What are the differences between this new set and the old one? I was about to buy the old.
Old 11-20-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by SPRBD
What are the differences between this new set and the old one? I was about to buy the old.
The new set has two new hour-long documentaries and six hour-long "Personal Best" clip shows.
Old 11-20-08, 01:45 PM

Is the video quality the same?
Old 11-20-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by SPRBD
Is the video quality the same?
Yes. I don't think the video quality has changed since the initial A&E releases in 1999-2000.
Old 11-20-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yakuza bengoshi
the new set has two new hour-long documentaries and six hour-long "personal best" clip shows.
ありがとう
Old 11-20-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

どういたしまして
Old 11-20-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Give them a few years and they'll have the Super Duper Deluxe Mega 38 disc set. It is nice and all but wasn't a 14 disc set sufficient?
Old 11-20-08, 09:07 PM

I'd definitely go for the older one due to "the dramatic increase in package size over the prior Thinpak 16-disc set." I'll take a large shelf space reduction over a couple of documentaries any day of the week.
Old 11-20-08, 11:18 PM

I own the older set and watch it very often, as I love monty python, my only complaint about it is one that I am sure carries over to the newer set as well. Each disc only has 3 30min episodes on it, which drags the collection out to a huge size. The complete monty pythons flying circus could have prob been maybe a six disc set if that, if they had put 6 or 8 episodes on a disc which prob wouldnt have been much of a problem, but then, they prob couldnt have charged over a hundred dollar for it, like they did when it was 1st released. greedy bastards!
Old 11-21-08, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

For anyone half as interested in the evolution of this release since 1999 as I am, here's the scoop (excerpted from my longer review of the box set):

Between the fall of 1999 and the fall of 2000, A&E released the entire 45 episode run of Monty Python's Flying Circus on DVD as fourteen single disc releases (MSRP $19.95 each) or seven two-disc sets (MSRP $39.95 each). Then as soon as A&E completed the individual releases, it rolled out a 14-disc box set, entitled Monty Python's Flying Circus - The Complete Collection (MSRP $199.95).

A year later, A&E released its first collection of supplementary material. Entitled Monty Python Live!, the two-disc set (MSRP $19.95) included four-and-a-half hours of bonus material consisting of Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1982), Monty Python's Flying Circus: Live at Aspen (1998), Parrot Sketch Not Included: Twenty Years of Monty Python (1989), and Monty Python's Fliegender Zirkus: German Episode #1 (1972).

In August 2005, A&E bundled the fourteen-disc release of the complete series with the supplementary two-disc set Monty Python Live!. Entitled The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus - 16-ton Megaset (MSPR $199.95), this new set replaced the bulky alpha cases of the earlier releases with compact Thinpaks.

Concurrent with The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus - 16-ton Megaset, A&E rolled out hour-long "Personal Best" discs for each of the six Pythons (MSRP $19.95 each). With almost no new material and highly edited segments, these discs were targeted presumably at that segment of the market that enjoys the concept of a "greatest hits" collection that doesn't want to plunk down more than a $100 for an entire collection in one go. In August 2006, A&E boxed the six "Personal Best" discs together and released them as Personal Best of Monty Python's Flying Circus (MSRP $44.99).

Now, two years later, A&E is back with yet another collection this time entitled The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus - Collector's Edition Megaset (MSRP $159.95). This latest collection includes the everything in the The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus - 16-ton Megaset, plus everything in the Personal Best of Monty Python's Flying Circus box set, plus two new documentaries Before the Flying Circus and Monty Python Conquers America.

The 21-disc set comes in an attractive and hefty package which contains two fold out sets of discs: fourteen for the entire series itself and seven more for the extras. Though the packaging will look very nice on the shelf, collectors that prefer compactness will bemoan the dramatic increase in package size over the prior Thinpak 16-disc set.
Old 11-21-08, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgorow
I own the older set and watch it very often, as I love monty python, my only complaint about it is one that I am sure carries over to the newer set as well. Each disc only has 3 30min episodes on it, which drags the collection out to a huge size. The complete monty pythons flying circus could have prob been maybe a six disc set if that, if they had put 6 or 8 episodes on a disc which prob wouldnt have been much of a problem, but then, they prob couldnt have charged over a hundred dollar for it, like they did when it was 1st released. greedy bastards!
That's a big problem with most of A&E's sets. Space 1999 is something ridiculous like a 17 disc set.
Old 11-21-08, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
That's a big problem with most of A&E's sets. Space 1999 is something ridiculous like a 17 disc set.
they obviously must think that people are stupid, that if they put less content on each disc, putting 90min worth of content on a disc that can easily hold 3 hours, stretching the sets out to more discs than nec, that they can justify a higher price point.