Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

new gangster documentary from mill creek

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a very good new release from mill creek that can be found a good price almost anywhere. It was produced exclusivly for them. its called Hollywood vs the mob. 3 disc set of 9 mini documentaries about 1 hour each covering all aspects of gangsters and mafia from the earliest roots till the present. The interesting thing about this set is that they use clips from classic gangster films to help tell the story of the real life events that became the inspiration for these films. have only watched the 1st of the 3 discs so far, which featured in the 1st episode clips of edward g robinson in little ceasar to help tell the mafias early rise. the 2nd episode uses clips from james cagney in public enemy to tell of the prohibition years. very entertaining and informative set, about 10 hours long, which can be found for under 10 dollars most anywhere. very good companion piece for any gangster movie collection.

Last edited by jgorow; 11-17-08 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-08, 12:53 AM

Nice. It does look very worthwhile for under $10.
Old 11-18-08, 08:08 AM

I just watched the 3rd episode, which compares the movie "scarface" not the pacino version, but the original, to the story of al capone. if i might add, so far in all the episodes I have seen, the clips from the classic gangster movies are not just little short clips, but full scenes, so this is a very good introduction to the gangster movie genre, for someone that might be new to it. I would say that each episode I have seen so far contains at least a good quarter of the classic gangster movie spotlighted, combined with newsreel footage of the real life events that were the inspiration for these films.
Old 11-19-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this has been in $ 5.00 bin at Walmart recently. I might get it.