DVD Talk
Who does the most audio commentaries in your DVD collection? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Who does the most audio commentaries in your DVD collection?

Mondo Kane
11-16-08, 02:40 PM
Just another random statistic to know about your collection.

Rules:

- If a commentator does more than one commentary for the same movie/feature (On the same disc) it still only counts as "1". This also goes for TV box sets with the creator/director/writer/actor,etc. But different season box sets do count as seperate commentaries.

-Make sure it's a "Live" commentary where the commentator is watching and replying to the feature with you. Not the ones that are spliced together from older, existing interviews (This rules out a few Marty Scorsese commentaries)

(At the moment) Mine:

7-Quentin Tarantino, Bey Logan, Tom Mes

6-Perry Martin, Kevin Smith, Scott Mosier, Jason Mewes, The "Peckinpah Bunch" (Seydor,Redman,Simmons,Weddle), George Lucas, Joe Bob Briggs, Robert Rodriguez

5-Francis Ford Coppola, Tom Weaver, John Cork, Ben Burtt, Chris Desjardins (Chris. D)

4-Sam Raimi, David Naylor, George Romero, Spike Lee, Sir Christopher Frayling, Tom Savini, Oliver Stone

OldBoy
11-16-08, 02:43 PM
directors of the movies :)

Mondo Kane
11-16-08, 03:00 PM
directors of the movies :)

Authors tend to do more commentaries than directors
-ptth-

RobCA
11-16-08, 03:02 PM
I have no idea. Probably John Waters, and the executive producers of Friends.

Rob

OldBoy
11-16-08, 03:03 PM
Authors tend to do more commentaries than directors
-ptth-

really? book authors or screenwriters? i can't believe that is so...

Numes
11-16-08, 05:44 PM
I would love to contribute to this thread, but Mondo Kane - I must know how you generated your stats.

davidh777
11-16-08, 06:08 PM
I'm sure Avi Arad is overrepresented in my collection

shaggy
11-16-08, 06:15 PM
I didn't count but I'm sure its Kevin Smith, followed closely by Ed Burns. Also have a bunch by Ben Burtt, Oliver Stone, and Sam Raimi.

chris_sc77
11-16-08, 06:18 PM
I have all of the Dragon Dynasty titles up to No. 28. I think about 20 of those have Bey Logan commentaries.

Dimension X
11-16-08, 07:14 PM
Probably Dave Friedman.

NoirFan
11-16-08, 07:17 PM
I'm going to guess James Ursini and/or Alain Silver.

Mondo Kane
11-16-08, 08:10 PM
I would love to contribute to this thread, but Mondo Kane - I must know how you generated your stats.

Commentator per disc. This includes moderators (Which is why Perry Martin shows up so often)

really? book authors or screenwriters? i can't believe that is so...

It's believable if you include Authors/biographers who comment on a director's work (If that director is no longer with us)

Numes
11-16-08, 08:14 PM
Commentator per disc. This includes moderators (Which is why Perry Martin shows up so often)

What I meant was, how did you compile your stats? You didn't do it manually, did you? I can't think of a way to even generate a raw list of commentary participants unless I did some crazy lookup to ratethatcommentary.com or something. DVDProfiler doesn't list commentary participants, I know that.

Rammsteinfan
11-16-08, 08:15 PM
Mine would have to be the group from Futurama. They do every single episode and the 3 movies so far.. so thats like a million commentaries by the same group for the most part. ;) Other than that John Carpenter probably since i have all his movies and he does most of the movies.

Mondo Kane
11-16-08, 08:19 PM
You didn't do it manually, did you?

In fact, I did. But for those of you who pack over 2000 DVDs, feel free to try another easier option. :lol:

Numes
11-16-08, 08:36 PM
In fact, I did. But for those of you who pack over 2000 DVDs, feel free to try another easier option. :lol:

Your DVDAf lists 895 movies, I just assumed you didn't do it manually! Wow!

Now I really want to know my commentary breakdowns. Why don't you go ahead and compute mine too. ;)

Solid Snake
11-16-08, 09:30 PM
I'm only doing the more than one, cuz there'd be too many to count if counted those single ones. And Ditto on the Scorsese..sometimes I can't tell if it's a live one or not...

2- Michael Mann, Ang Lee, Zack Snyder, Judd Apatow, George Lucas, Donnie Yen, Julie Taymor
3-Edgar Wright, Christopher Nolan, George A. Romero, John Woo, Terry Jones, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
4-Quentin Tarantino, Sam Raimi, Guillermo del Toro, Francis F. Coppola, Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, David Fincher, Bryan Singer, Sir Christopher Frayling
5-Kevin Smith, Brett Ratner *Both Police Stories, X3 which i was given, and Rush Hour 1 and 2*
6-Robert Rodriguez
9-Bey Logan, Terry Gilliam

and I have no idea what films Arad has done commentary on but I know he does on DD: DC and I think on spidey...but I know on Daredevil he did one.,.and he defended how "awesome" that fight at the park was....even MSJ was kinda taken back by that

Moonstone
11-17-08, 03:37 AM
Matt Groening and his team from The Simpsons and Futurama.

Lastdaysofrain
11-17-08, 08:48 AM
Between both Region 1 and Region 2 titles I probably have about 50 or so Bey Logan commentaries.

Second is probably John Waters, between all his movies, plus the two he's done for non-Waters movies.

Third is probably Joe Bob Briggs, I have all the commentaries he has done (I think it's about 12?)

Ethan VanSciver
11-17-08, 10:08 AM
I wish Roger Ebert would do more commentaries. His commentary track for CITIZEN KANE was inspiring.

Me007gold
11-17-08, 11:55 AM
Matt Groening and his team from The Simpsons and Futurama.

yep, its not even a close second

majorjoe23
11-17-08, 02:00 PM
Also Matt Groening for me. Unless you count downloadable commentaries, in which case Mike Nelson of Rifftrax would be the winner.

Overpar
11-17-08, 03:24 PM
I have neither the interest or time to go through 1400 DVD's to find this out, but I will say that I enjoy Edward Burns' commentaries the most.

Numes
11-17-08, 04:42 PM
I have neither the interest or time to go through 1400 DVD's to find this out, but I will say that I enjoy Edward Burns' commentaries the most.

I have the interest, but not the time nor patience. Oh well. If I ignore TV shows (Simpsons, Futurama, Stargate) I would say that David Fincher is well represented from a commentary standpoint. I think he was in 3 of the 4 commentaries each on Fight Club and Se7en. The best part is that he does some of the best commentaries out there.

NoirFan
11-17-08, 05:25 PM
I wish Roger Ebert would do more commentaries. His commentary track for CITIZEN KANE was inspiring.

He also did commentaries for Casablanca and Floating Weeds.

Numes
11-17-08, 10:44 PM

Don't forget Dark City. Excellent commentary.

inri222
11-17-08, 11:24 PM
David Cronenberg (Shit, I like his commentaries so much I wish I had the Crash laserdisc.)

Dead Ringers
Spider
Videodrome
Naked Lunch
A History of Violence
Existenz
The Fly
Fast Company

Lastdaysofrain
11-18-08, 08:40 AM
I have the Crash LD, the Cronenberg commentary is pretty great. The only Cronenberg commentary I'm missing is the one on the Criterion Dead Ringers.

eedoon
11-19-08, 07:54 AM

And the wonderful documentary Crumb with Terry Zwigoff.

Trevor
11-19-08, 08:02 AM
Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo.

rocket1312
11-19-08, 10:38 PM

While I agree that more Ebert commentaries would be great, I'm pretty sure he's completely lost the ability to speak due to all of the health issues he's had over the past few years.

Other than the Simpsons crew, I count about 25 Bey Logan commentaries and at least 8 Werner Herzogs (best voice ever!) in my collection.

slop101
11-20-08, 10:55 AM
Between all the old HongKong Legends dvds I have and the newer Dragon Dynasty dvds, I probably have more commentaries from Bey Logan than anyone else - which is fine since he's one of the best commentary givers out there (most of the time - sometimes he can be a little lame).

Mondo Kane
11-20-08, 11:47 AM
Between all the old HongKong Legends dvds I have and the newer Dragon Dynasty dvds, I probably have more commentaries from Bey Logan than anyone else - which is fine since he's one of the best commentary givers out there (most of the time - sometimes he can be a little lame).

Point me to some of the lame ones! :D

I remember one time (Lost track of what movie it was) when he just all of a sudden did a Barney Rubble impression during the commentary. Totally out of character, but it sounded good!