Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the Only One Who Hates "South Park"?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I admit there have been a few moments on the show that I have laughed out loud, but most of the time it's been a painful slog throw long-drawn out one joke scenes repeated ad infinitum (for the more slower witted SP fan?), and excruciating quasi-Libertarian soap box speechifiying (okay, Matt and Trey, we get it--hippies and environmentalists suck--does it have to be injected into every episode?) The acclaim it's gotten over the years is truly galling, and they are in no way, shape, or form as brilliant as Matt Groening. Nope, uh uh. Matt never made shit like "Orgazmo"; "Basketball"; or "Fox News Presents 'Team America'".

Am I the lone detractor here on this planet?

Oh, I also thought of a retort scene for "Family Guy" (though I know they couldn't use it)

*Stewie and Brian are watching South Park on TV. All the characters are repeating variations of the joke: "Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?"*

Brian (trying to stay awake): "Does Comedy Central force this show to ration out their jokes? I mean, why has it won a Peabody?"

Stewie: (also trying to stay awake): "Um...for ripping on us."

*Stewie and Brian fist bump*
Old 11-14-08, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
No, your not the only one. I was a moderate fan at best in the late 90's and then I watched South Park: The Movie in theatres and absolutely hated it. Then I stopped being a fan. The only episode since then that I watched strictly out of curiosity was when Chef was killed off.
Old 11-14-08, 04:49 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
nope, I can't stand the show either.
Old 11-14-08, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stand it really. I kinda enjoyed the movie and very select episodes here and there. Other than that its really awful.
Old 11-14-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have no stance but it is telling that you quote Family Guy in your post.
Old 11-14-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Also a little telling that the details in your post indicate that you are more than a casual viewer of the show. If you hate it so much, why are you watching it? Change the channel and move on.
Old 11-14-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you the only one who hates South Park? In the world? Probably not.

/thread.
Old 11-14-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think the show is incredibly inconsistent for all the praise it gets, but when it gets it right, it is unbelievably hysterical.

Unfortunately I always seem to forget to DVR it so I have to catch up later.
Old 11-14-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you hate it if you haven't watched it enought?
Maybe you just don't get it.

I hate it. I have never watched one full episode. I've watched bits on tv, the web, youtube, etc. I have a lot of friends that love it. Really love it, like if they could, they would make love to the show. I really hate it.

Maybe I need to watch a full episode and then my opinion will change.
Old 11-14-08, 09:45 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I am going to disagree, I find South Park to be far more consistent then Family Guy. But South Park does tend to be a bit preachy at times, but it is still a fun show.

But I can understand people not liking the direction the show is in now...and rightfully so. A lot of people don't like spoofs on current events, I do. But you can't win them all.

Family Guy on the other hand, has really lost it. Those first three seasons are great, the last few not so much, but there are moments. But comparing the two (which happens a lot) doesn't make sense. South Park should be compared to The Simpsons, since it is much closer in tone and execution. My opinion though.
Old 11-14-08, 09:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've seen every episode 2-3 times, and have hated this show since the beginning. It's terrible.
Old 11-14-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I've seen every episode 2-3 times, and have hated this show since the beginning. It's terrible.

South Park ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Old 11-14-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
When I saw the thread title, I was like "why do I have a feeling this is going to be about how funny Family Guy is?" Corvin nailed it...

Really, what the fuck? I think family guy is supremely unfunny, but I could give a shit if anyone else watches it. why do people care if I worship South Park. it's not like one will go away if people like the other...
Old 11-14-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to love it, but the last few seasons have been pretty awful. I am thinking of dropping it.
Old 11-14-08, 01:15 PM

Okay, just to be clear, I'm waaaay more of an "American Dad!" fan than "FG". I just think that Trey and Matt slamming FG is like the Bee Gees taking an artistic stand against KC and the Sunshine Band--rings a little hollow.

But I'd still be put off by South Park if FG never existed. Its politics aside, most of the episodes could be presented in 10 minutes time if they trimmed the padding of drilling the same gag into the center of the Earth.

Wait!? This *is* 2006, right? I lept two years far to be fresh! Goddamn it! :laugh:
Old 11-14-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by PatD
... or "Fox News Presents 'Team America'".
Are you being funny or just stupid? No offense but seriously.

And why the fuck do you need a thread telling us you don't like South Park. What could possibly be the reason?

And Matt hasn't been brilliant for at least 8 years
Old 11-14-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
but most of the time it's been a painful slog throw long-drawn out one joke scenes repeated ad infinitum

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E5HiuxdcODg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E5HiuxdcODg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/02rlGHsqLOQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/02rlGHsqLOQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and so on

Old 11-14-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I never thought South Park padded episodes. And I really like the show, much more then recent Family Guy. American Dad I thought was terrible from the get go.
Old 11-14-08, 02:07 PM

South Park is ALMOST dead to me. Last season, and this season thus far, have been terrible.

It's had some great moments over the years, though. And the movie was wonderful.
Old 11-14-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I liked it during it's 1st season run...that was when I was in the 8th grade.

As I continued to buy the DVD seasons over the years, after about season 5 I realized that I was not even enjoying the episodes anymore, so I quit watching.
Old 11-14-08, 04:15 PM

In response to a few replies:

First, yeah, that's true about FG doing that repetitious gags on occasion, except SP would do the ENTIRE episode about the chicken fight instead of a long drawn out scene.

Second, there's no need for name-calling. I thought the point of this forum was to exchange information and express opinions--I thought that's what I was doing...

Last edited by PatD; 11-14-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-14-08, 04:16 PM

It's also, apparently, about being "that guy."
Old 11-14-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PatD
First, yeah, that's true about FG doing that repetitioous gags on occasion, except SP would do the ENTIRE episode about the chicken fight instead of a long drawn out scene.
Care to give a specific example? Go to http://www.southparkstudios.com for all the episodes they've done and feel free to paste a link to the episodes that are a one-note joke with no other social commentary.
Old 11-14-08, 04:18 PM

"It Hits the Fan" is the only one that comes to mind for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.