Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

George Harrison co-wrote Cream's "Badge" -- (I learn something new every day!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was never a huge Cream fan - I knew the big hit songs, of course (Sunshine of your Love and White Room), but not really some of their other tracks. I appreciated I Feel Free after hearing it on The Sopranos, and I just happened to recently stumble across Badge, which was a cut off Cream's final album Goodbye.

Anyway, when I first heard Badge, I didn't know which group was performing it. I initially thought it might be Chicago, but I did a Google search by a line in the song, and sure enough discovered it was Cream. Doing more research, I found out it was co-penned by George Harrison (on the record, he was credited as L'Angelo Misterioso for contractual reasons - where the hell did they get that name?)

I never heard about this before, and I thought I knew quite a bit about the boys from the Beatles writing for other groups - but I guess you can't know everything. I wonder what else I don't know about "ghost-writers" for other bands.
Old 11-13-08, 09:37 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The Clapton-Harrison relationship is one I find fascinating. Clapton and Harrison were very close friends right up until Harrison's death, but there are surprisingly few collaborations between them. The most notable are probably Badge and While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Clapton plays guitar on the version that is on the White Album). They also toured together a few times. But it just seems odd that the two never released an album together.

Another interesting fact -- Harrison's was married to Pattie Boyd in the late-60s and early-70s; after their marriage fell apart, she married Clapton. Through it all Clapton and Harrison remained close friends.

You could probably make a good movie about the Harrison-Clapton-Boyd relationship.
Old 11-13-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George wrote 'Something' for Pattie as the Beatles ended and then Clapton wrote 'Layla' for her as he was beginning to make his feelings known to her. He even played the tape of the fresh recording to her as he watched for her reaction as she realized the lyrics were about her. It really is a fascinating part of music history.
Old 11-13-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
"Wonderful Tonight" is also about Pattie. She was quite a muse, apparently.

I like their duet "Run So Far" on Clapton's Journeyman album (it also appears on Harrison's posthumous Brainwashed album as well).
Old 11-13-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those interested in the Harrison/Clapton relationship should check out Patti Boyd's recent memoir, Wonderful Tonight.
Old 11-13-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
It's pretty funny that she named her book that considering (from what I've read) the song is actually somewhat of a put down.

The story I've read is that one night when Clapton was trying to head out Patti took FOREVER to get ready and he wrote that song based on the experience of waiting for her.
Old 11-14-08, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
"Something" may be about her, too -- I think Harrison originally said it was, but later said it wasn't. She was also the inspration behind "Bell Bottom Blues."
Old 11-14-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to Martin Scorsese's docu-film about Harrison. I wonder if he will cover the Boyd-Clapton-Harrison relationship.
Old 11-14-08, 09:23 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Listen to "Here Comes the Sun" and then listen to "Badge" and see if you notice any similarities.
Old 11-14-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Listen to "Here Comes the Sun" and then listen to "Badge" and see if you notice any similarities.
Oh, I definitey hear some similarities. "Badge," isn't a carbon copy or anything, but there are some really similar melodies, and both are great songs.

A full album project around 1970 or '71 with Harrison and Clapton could have been amazing.
Old 11-14-08, 09:57 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Oh, I definitey hear some similarities. "Badge," isn't a carbon copy or anything, but there are some really similar melodies, and both are great songs.
The guitar break in "Badge" at around 1:10 is the same as the guitar break in "Here Comes the Sun" that precedes the bridge.
Old 11-14-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
In a radio interview, Clapton was telling how the song "Badge" got it's name. The music was laying on a table and Ringo sat down where he was looking at the music sheet upside down. To him the word "bridge" looked like "badge" when seen upside down. Ringo said, "Badge? What the fuck does badge mean?"
The others there got a laugh out of it. "It says bridge stupid!" And decided to name the song Badge.
Old 11-14-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huh, I didn't know this either. Well, maybe a while back. Still, Badge was always one of the few Cream songs I liked. For some reason, I've always hated Eric Clapton and Cream was ruined for me. As a drummer, that means little Ginger Baker.

I'll have to check out the Here Comes the Sun part and compare the two, while I'm at it. I don't think I've heard Badge in about 10 years (I'm 29, by the way)
Old 11-14-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
In a radio interview, Clapton was telling how the song "Badge" got it's name. The music was laying on a table and Ringo sat down where he was looking at the music sheet upside down. To him the word "bridge" looked like "badge" when seen upside down. Ringo said, "Badge? What the fuck does badge mean?"
The others there got a laugh out of it. "It says bridge stupid!" And decided to name the song Badge.
That's a great story. I hadn't heard it before.
Old 11-14-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is one of my favorite 'unofficial' live recordings of Badge.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BCyy5UFF6bw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BCyy5UFF6bw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-14-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I remember hearing that BADGE was the chord progression of the song.

B-A-D-G-E

I think it's been disproven by the fact that that's not the chord progression
Old 11-14-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's also the story of Ringo coming in drunk and telling Eric and George about the swans that live in the park......and that's how that line got in the song.

Boy, that Ringo.
Old 11-14-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Boy, that Ringo.
Luckiest man alive.
Old 11-14-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeh - he didn't do too bad for a high school drop-out. Hecka, I think ole Ringo was a Junior High Drop-out, but he still loved his rings.

In regards to the topic, I wonder what other secrets there are out there that I "overlooked." What else did Mr. Harrison co-write for other groups? (probably nothing.)
Old 11-14-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe too well known, but Clapton's all over Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" as well, completely uncredited as he didn't get his record company's permission. His solo on "Wah Wah" may be my favorite thing that Clapton ever did:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dd8K5juJ_1M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dd8K5juJ_1M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He played on a few tracks on Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band" as well.

Sidenote: if you haven't heard those two albums, get them immediately.
Old 11-14-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
In regards to the topic, I wonder what other secrets there are out there that I "overlooked." What else did Mr. Harrison co-write for other groups? (probably nothing.)
Man, there's way too many for my typing skills. Here's a pretty comprehensive list where you can click on various decades and see what collaborations he was up to.

http://http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~garp/hari/goff1960.htm
Old 11-14-08, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Clapton and Harrison were very close friends right up until Harrison's death, but there are surprisingly few collaborations between them.
A little less close in the aftermath...George's modified Bye, Bye Love lyrics from Dark Horse

There goes our lady
With a "you
know who"
I hope she's happy
And "old
'Clapper' too"
We had good rhythm
(and a little slide)
Then she stepped in
Did me a favour
I threw them both out.
Old 11-15-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
I remember hearing that BADGE was the chord progression of the song.

B-A-D-G-E

I think it's been disproven by the fact that that's not the chord progression
I've heard that's how Genesis named the song "Abacab"

There's a lot of live Harrison with Clapton on lead guitar.

The Concert for Bangladesh and the awesome George Harrison Live in Japan. On Japan you can hear Clapton play lead on stuff like Taxman, What Is Life, Old Brown Shoe, Give Me Love.