30 Rock -- "The One With The Cast Of Night Court" -- 11/13/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
30 Rock -- "The One With The Cast Of Night Court" -- 11/13/08

"The One With The Cast Of 'Night Court' "
Spoiler:
Free-spirited, "Fatal Attraction"-like stalker Claire Harper randomly shows up in New York to visit Liz and Jenna. Claire zeroes in on Jack upon first sight and claims him for her own. Kenneth, distressed and let down over the new page uniforms, turns to Tracy for some cheering up. To make Kenneth smile again, Tracy has a surprise involving the cast of "Night Court."

Originally Aired: November 13, 2008
Old 11-13-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are they really going to be on? That would be pretty sweet.
Old 11-13-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the three from Night Court featured really that old looking or is that makeup? Laroquette does seem to have aged better than them if they really look like that and he really looks like what he did on shows he has recently guested on.

The title of the show is brilliant given the principal guest star.
Old 11-13-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

But this was for me one of the worst episodes in the series - mainly due to Aniston and the writing. A big drop from the first two.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Laroquette does seem to have aged better than them if they really look like that and he really looks like what he did on shows he has recently guested on.
yes, the only one to walk away with the Emmy on that show has aged better than the other principal cast members (Harry hitting the bottle could explain his appearance ).
Old 11-13-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they put a little too much work into the set up tonight and not enough work into the scriptwriting. I enjoyed it overall but can definitely see the point of those who did not. It almost didn't feel like a true episode of the series in a way.
Old 11-13-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was nice to see Harry Stone back with the gavel and see Kenneth do the freeze poise. The bits with Aniston weren't funny at all.
Old 11-13-08, 10:21 PM

Thanks for making the only episode that didn't crack me up, Jennifer Aniston. I understand comic timing is is hard but you think she might accidentally get something right out of sheer dumb luck.

I'm getting increasingly wary of the focus on guest stars this season. I mean, they've always had guests, but they worked them in magnificently (see: Pee-Wee as that inbred prince). It's starting to look lazy and the guests are only showing up to try to get viewings up. I wonder if 30 Rock is going to do some sort of "Save Our Bluths" episode.
Old 11-13-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think we only have to worry about the guest star phenomenon if it persists into 2009. I can tolerate a few episodes at the start of the season (and during November sweeps in particular) with name stars if NBC is trying to get the viewership up as long as the bulk of the season isn't impacted. If this run of guest stars doesn't work, no amount of them will. There's no reason to continue it at the expense of the show, as some could argue some of the guests have done.
Old 11-13-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think they put a little too much work into the set up tonight and not enough work into the scriptwriting. I enjoyed it overall but can definitely see the point of those who did not. It almost didn't feel like a true episode of the series in a way.
I agree. Totally didn't feel like an episode of 30 Rock. That's the best way to describe it.

NBC is clearly putting pressure for them to get stars to help with the ratings and, while I'm not a fan of that at all, Tina and the staff have mixed bigger names with smaller names AND managed to find a way to really make the guests fit into the show. This time it felt like the show was written for the stunt-casting and not vice versa.

I may have disliked that episode more than any other, if for no other reason than it felt like it wasn't a real episode of my favorite sitcom.

ps-I always seem to post something while others are posting much of what I'm trying to contribute. Why do I bother?

Last edited by dolphinboy; 11-13-08 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
ps-I always seem to post something while others are posting much of what I'm trying to contribute. Why do I bother?
It happens to all of us from time to time. Just consider it great minds thinking alike.
Old 11-13-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The episode wasn't that bad, and Aniston wan't overall bad, she just didn't fit into the series screwball universe. Why don't we just get this three way on?

Jenna has been awesome in her short bursts this year.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-13-08 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-14-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
This episode rocked!! Shut up you haters!!!
Old 11-14-08, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
NBC is clearly putting pressure for them to get stars to help with the ratings
Yeah, HIMYM is doing the same thing. I mean, Kim Kardashian, Flesh-Beard and Heidi, and one of the "Girls Next Door" all in one episode? I mean, do they think that those people will seriously bring more viewers in? This is just stupid. Did anybody watch 30 Rock today for the first time just for Jennifer Aniston? This is dumb.
Old 11-14-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would rather have a few episodes with guest stars than no 30 Rock.
Tonights episode did seem a bit off but there was some enjoyable stuff.
Jenna as the Wherewolf Lawyer was pretty cool.
Old 11-14-08, 02:02 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
never saw night court, but I miss aniston in my tv or movie watching life;.
Old 11-14-08, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A big letdown after last week.
Old 11-14-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to watch Night Court religiously, but really can't remember how the show ended. John Laroquette showing up would have really made this much better.

Is this episode's title supposed to be a play on how the Friends episodes were always titled?

Tracy's line towards the beginning about being so angry he wanted to pee on someone had me

Last edited by Snowmaker; 11-14-08 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-14-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Surprised at all the hate. I thought the episode was pretty damn funny. Then again I can't help but laugh at anything Alec Baldwin does. His speech about crazy girls and sex was fantastic.
Old 11-14-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Is this episode's title supposed to be a play on how the Friends episodes were always titled?
Yes. Every episode was called "The One" with/where something something something.

I enjoyed it well enough. Better than HIMYM lately and still one of the funniest comedies on (hello? see Kath & Kim).

[EDIT]Oh yeah - I loved when she introduces herself as "Esmeralda Fitzmonster".

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-14-08 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-14-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I liked this one a lot...ME OW...

And man Jennifer Aniston is still looking pretty hot these days...

Also, how many of us saw Markie Post and thought of The Monarch's line from Venture Brothers? Show of hands...
Old 11-14-08, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
never saw night court, but I miss aniston in my tv or movie watching life;.
"Court? At night? I'm laughing already!"
"They're making him wear a coat that's different from his other coat!"
Two of Tracy's lines that I enjoyed.

There was also Kenneth's speech about friendship and the ensuing group hug ("Who does that? Really?")

I also like it whenever Liz tries to act cool. So in this episode it's her making up the club she went to last night, Chilis, with the guy whose nips she could see who took her back to his loft and proceeded to "give her the business".

Pretty good episode. I think 30 Rock does a pretty good job when ti comes to incorporating guest stars. It would've been so easy for every guest to just play themselves like in Extras, which is hilarious, but they've managed to do a little bit of both. Self parody and actual characters. Tim Conway and Cooter Burger being the best of each, I feel.
Old 11-14-08, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I used to watch Night Court religiously, but really can't remember how the show ended. John Laroquette showing up would have really made this much better.
I also loved Night Court and was hoping for a Reinhold reference (inside joke), but at least they did the freeze frame. They had a horrible final episode so kudos to Kenneth for correcting this deficiency! Christine moved out of New York with a cop (?) boyfriend so there was no closure with Harry, Bull was voluntarily abducted by aliens, and Harry just kept on being a night court judge. I think Dan got a promotion of some sort.

Originally Posted by macnorton
Also, how many of us saw Markie Post and thought of The Monarch's line from Venture Brothers? Show of hands...
I also love the Venture Bros. and have no idea what you’re talking about. The only Monarch line I can think of is, “Feel the wrath of the Monarch!” Are you referring to the episode where he marries Dr. Girlfriend?
Old 11-14-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the Jennifer Aniston parts were really good.

The Night Court stuff fell flat on me. I watched it when I was a kid, but I seriously didn't remember much at all, let alone that those two were going to get married. I would have probably enjoyed (or understood) it more if they used a more recent NBC show like something like Caroline in the City that did end on a cliffhanger if I remember correctly. Of course I am sure Night Court has more fans.

I did love when Liz told them they are probably violating Warner Bros intellectual property or something lol
Old 11-14-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Barings
I also love the Venture Bros. and have no idea what you’re talking about. The only Monarch line I can think of is, “Feel the wrath of the Monarch!” Are you referring to the episode where he marries Dr. Girlfriend?
The third season premier where the Guild are questioning the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend:

Councilman 2: Unfortunately, we have no visual records of your time in college.
Monarch: Really? So we're not gonna have to sit through hours of me abusing myself to Markie Post?
Old 11-14-08, 10:36 AM

Fun episode. Didn't mind Aniston at all. Alec's acting was great, I thought. Liz acting cool, funny as always. The "F"-Train.

One thing that I'm not sure I got was the name for Aniston's character that Liz wrote because it was just too bad. "Crazy Buddy"? Am I missing something obvious?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.