DVD Talk
Paul (Mottola, 2009): extraterrestial comedy w/ Simon Pegg & Nick Frost [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Paul (Mottola, 2009): extraterrestial comedy w/ Simon Pegg & Nick Frost

NoirFan
11-12-08, 03:47 PM
From Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995683.html?categoryid=13&cs=1) "Superbad" helmer Greg Mottola will direct the extraterrestrial comedy "Paul" for Working Title and Universal Pictures. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, the duo behind "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," will star.....Story revolves around two British slackers who, after visiting Comic-Con, go on a road trip to Area 51, where they encounter a small alien named Paul, who enlists them to help him find his way home. Pegg and Frost penned the screenplay for the pic, which will shoot in March. Edgar Wright, who directed "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead," is exec producing.

Supermallet
11-12-08, 03:49 PM
Awesome! I'm there.

Giles
11-12-08, 04:02 PM
sounds like the next obvious film project, zombies, cops... aliens!

hooray the chemistry's back... Pegg you aren't funny without Frost.

Zen Peckinpah
11-12-08, 06:32 PM
The director of Superbad? Simon Pegg and Nick Frost? I'm there.

JPRaup
01-19-09, 04:21 PM
Story (http://thefilmstage.com/2009/01/19/superbad-director-to-take-on-aliens-with-pegg-and-frost/)

/Film reports in a recent podcast Director Greg Motolla discusses the alien character in the film:

ďThat movie is a far more technically challenging movie than Adventureland was because one of the main characters is a fully non-existent creature. Heís basically an alien who may be, letís say, 70% CGI and the big challenge is that he needs to be a very funny, comedic method actor. Itís not the kind of CGI character where we people to say ĎOh wow, look what they did, thatís so coolí itís actually the kind of CGI character where we want people to just treat like another actor in the film, and he should be fully believable and multi-faceted and has to give a great performance, he just doesnít exist. Weíve been doing a lot of test trying to figure out how to pull that one off.Ē

The film will also definitely be R-rated we can look forward to that. Motolla says:

ďItís rare that an R-rated comedy would have a CGI Creature right at the centre of it so Iím learning quite a bit.Ē

Pegg + Frost + Motolla + R-Rated looks like a win to me. I canít wait to see how realistic the alien character will be.

Jay G.
01-19-09, 11:16 PM
Edgar Wright, who directed "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead," is exec producing.
Nothing against Motolla, I'm sure he'll do a great job, but what's Edgar Wright doing that he can't direct this one?

JPRaup
01-19-09, 11:25 PM
Nothing against Motolla, I'm sure he'll do a great job, but what's Edgar Wright doing that he can't direct this one?

Looks like he is pretty busy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0942367/

4 movies on his plate.

NoirFan
05-16-09, 09:46 PM
From /Film: (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/16/pegg-and-frost-to-get-a-makeover-for-paul-massively-famous-film-director-to-make-a-cameo/)While not much is publicly known about Greg Mottola’s Paul, some lovely details are starting to filter up from very dependable sources. The film, written by and starring Hot Fuzz buddy cops Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, is a road movie sci-fi comedy. They will be playing two British geeks on a trip to the US for the San Diego Comic-Con who meet the titular Paul, an alien looking to go home.

Simon has the role of Graham Willy and Nick will be Clive Gollings. While Pegg, at least, can probably identify to a large degree with the characters’ requisite fanatical nerdiness, the two actors are going to need quite extensive makeovers to actually look the part.

According to the rock-solid info I’ve been given, Pegg’s Graham is a very greasy, lanky character with buck teeth. His wig (or extensions) will have to run down to his knees and false teeth
will definitely be required. The plan is also for him to wear very thick glasses too. As for Clive, Frost will be dressed in a long leather duster, standard issue sci-fi tie-in T-shirt and have a stack of tightly curly hair.

I can almost see them now. And in a way, I wish that I couldn’t.

As for how Paul himself will look, the physical description I was given was quite vague - he should be about three foot tall and have the standard-issue graylien almond eyes. His costume will be one of cut off jeans and flip-flop shoes… and nothing else, so we’ll get to see if he blends reptilian skin with mammalian nipples. In some scenes, apparently, he won’t look like anything at all because Paul has the ability to turn himself invisible with a similar chameleonic technique to that of a Predator.

I’ve been sworn to secrecy on almost everything else but I can reveal that Pegg and Frost have planned for the film to feature a special cameo appearance from a hugely famous film director in a key flashback. I won’t name him, but I think you can guess who - particularly when I confirm he has actually directed the duo, and recently too. Use your imagination.

If you’re going to Comic-Con this year you should be able to meet Graham and Clive in person because the plan seems to be to film some sequences of the film during the real event.

Spielberg, obviously.

BuddhaWake
05-17-09, 01:01 PM
so basically Paul the alien = Roger the alien from American Dad? and why does this gives me Kangaroo Jack flashbacks?

riotinmyskull
05-17-09, 01:07 PM
so basically Paul the alien = Roger the alien from American Dad? and why does this gives me Kangaroo Jack flashbacks?

yea the premise seems extremely lame but considering pegg and frost wrote it and mottola is directing i'm still in.

Brent L
05-27-09, 10:09 AM
I'm so looking forward to this picture. Check this out:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/26/seth-rogen-jason-bateman-kristen-wiig-bill-hader-join-greg-mottolas-paul/

Superbad/Adventureland director Greg Mottola’s next film is shaping up to be the funniest geek comedy ever filmed. But before I get into the new casting, let me tell you a little about the movie.

Scripted by and starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (the duo from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) as two British nerds, fresh off a trip to Comic Con, who decide to go on a road trip to Area 51. They meet an alien named Paul who asks them to help him escape from the U.S. Government. I’ve heard the script is laugh out loud funny, with tons of references to Aliens, Star Wars, and Back To The Future. So how can it get any better than that?

Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader and Jane Lynch have been cast in the movie. Rogen will be providing the voice for the alien creature, and we can only assume that Bateman, Wiig, Hader and Lynch will either play government officials or characters they meet along the way on their road trip adventure.

invisiblegt
05-27-09, 11:27 AM
Jason Bateman? And Kristen Wiig? Plus Jane Lynch?

My interest in waning...

(Although, the news of Bill Hader is almost enough to counter the three aforementioned actors.)

islandclaws
05-27-09, 11:37 AM
Sounds interesting, I suppose. If it were anyone else I'm not sure how interested I'd be, but Pegg, Frost and Mottola are enough to get me into a theater.

McLovin
05-28-09, 04:52 AM
Sounds like a hoot. I'm there.

golden_rod
05-28-09, 09:51 AM
Seth Rogen? Ugh. The things I will suffer through to see Jason Bateman on the big screen...

Zen Peckinpah
05-28-09, 12:34 PM
That supporting cast is killer.

Larry C.
05-28-09, 12:47 PM
Awesome!

RyoHazuki
05-28-09, 02:35 PM
Oh shit they cast Seth Rogen? Is he the only actor left? Why must he be in every single film released in theaters now?

NoirFan
06-02-09, 08:15 PM
From SDNN (http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-05-27/lifestyle/tom-blair-city-that-never-sleeps): British comics Simon Pegg and Nick Frost will film at the convention center and environs this summer on Paul, a comedy feature costarring Sigourney Weaver.

Supermallet
06-02-09, 09:03 PM
Sweet! I'll run around looking for a camera crew.

Supermallet
06-02-09, 09:03 PM
Sweet! I'll run around looking for a camera crew.

cungar
06-02-09, 10:23 PM
It was inevitable these guys were going to go Hollywood. I just hope they retain their British comic sensibility because thats what I love about their work.

Travis McClain
06-03-09, 10:20 AM
My only qualm so far is the explicit description of how Pegg and Frost will physically appear in character. I'm afraid that might be a sign that the humor will be more based on the stereotype of fanboys, rather than the kind of nuanced homage that Shaun of the Dead was for zombie pictures and Hot Fuzz was for buddy cop movies. Still, I don't see me resisting a movie with those credits.

tylergfoster
06-03-09, 01:08 PM
Jason Bateman? And Kristen Wiig? Plus Jane Lynch?I can see hating one of these people, but I don't understand how you could possibly hate all three AND like Bill Hader and the rest of the movie's creative team. That would seem to be a confusing maze of comic sensibilities.Oh shit they cast Seth Rogen? Is he the only actor left? Why must he be in every single film released in theaters now? Well, he won't be "popping up" in this one, since he's just doing a voice.

RocShemp
06-03-09, 01:37 PM
I'll be there for Pegg and Frost. I don't give two shits about the rest. It's a shame Edgar Wright isn't directing.

invisiblegt
06-03-09, 06:49 PM
I can see hating one of these people, but I don't understand how you could possibly hate all three AND like Bill Hader and the rest of the movie's creative team. That would seem to be a confusing maze of comic sensibilities.Well, he won't be "popping up" in this one, since he's just doing a voice.

Jason Bateman: In my opinion, he has only been good in one thing, and that was Arrested Development. He is not a particularly talented individual, nor a funny man. The only reason he was good in Arrested Devlopment was because of the creative team behind him, and because the role required him to be more the "straight man" to the other characters outlandish personalities.

Kristen Wiig: In this instance, every character she has ever played is the same. Which would be fine, as it has worked for many people in the past, and will work for many in the future. However, for her, all this means is that she affects a funny voice, and has some odd tic. For me, she always feels out of place in what would otherwise be somewhat grounded comedies (beyond Walk Hard, mind you).

Jane Lynch: I actually like Jane Lynch. However, her "tough lady" schtick is starting to wear a bit thin with me.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost gave me one of the finest examples of sitcom-ery in the past decade or so with Spaced, and then proceeded to put forth what may not only be one of the funniest movies in recent years, but also one of the better "zombie" films out there as well.

And for Bill Hader? Well, he's a bit like Will Forte for me. Something in the inflection of their voices just manages to make me laugh almost any time either of them speaks.

Then again, what do I know? I still think of the funniest movies of all time is The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, so perhaps my sensibility is skewed a bit more than most.

DJLinus
09-24-09, 08:39 PM
First pic!

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5648/paulh.jpg

http://www.collider.com/2009/09/24/first-image-of-simon-pegg-and-nick-frost-in-greg-mottolas-paul/

Nick Frost with long hair. :lol:

riotinmyskull
09-24-09, 08:47 PM
nick frost gained some weight

Zen Peckinpah
09-25-09, 12:53 AM
They look gloriously nerdy. Can't wait for this, talent behind and in front of the camera is killer.

RichC2
10-18-10, 09:20 AM
I see a giant scroll box.

RocShemp
10-18-10, 09:56 AM
<embed src="http://img.widgets.video.s-msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf" width="596" height="425" id="ib0p3oto" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" bgColor="#ffffff" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" base="." flashvars="fg=&configCsid=msnvideo&mkt=en-gb&configName=syndicationplayer&brand=v5%5E544x306&from=sp&player.v=1b36d664-8609-4637-9dbb-892bd6918703&"></embed>

Had to eliminate some junk from the embed link to make it work.

Groucho
10-18-10, 10:03 AM
Not a promising trailer. :(

sauce07
10-18-10, 10:05 AM
I don't think it looks horrible, that's just doesn't sell it very well.

tylergfoster
10-18-10, 11:35 AM
It's also less than a minute's worth of footage.

Rammsteinfan
10-18-10, 12:33 PM
Roger would have made a better movie... still gonna check this one out regardless.

http://www.zap2it.com/media/photo/2009-10/49603356.jpg

Supermallet
10-18-10, 12:48 PM
Not a promising trailer. :(

I would barely call it a trailer at all. I'll wait till something more substantial pops up before deciding how I feel about it.

Solid Snake
10-18-10, 01:03 PM
It's got my interest at best. It's got all the right people in it for it to do so. But like mallet said...it's barely anything to really get a grasp on.

kstublen
10-18-10, 01:24 PM
Yeah, not really enough there for me to form a real opinion, but based on the people involved I'm interested.

I got a decent chuckle from Pegg's delivery of the final line though: "We're just a couple of regular guys...walking down the street...with a small cowboy."

Matthew Chmiel
10-19-10, 04:17 AM
It's a trailer put together by Universal, of course it's going to suck.

Boba Fett
10-19-10, 05:52 AM
The script is quite funny and has some great twists. The only thing I don't like is the "normal" eyes for Paul; I'd rather he have the soulless black eyes that are common with depictions of "Greys."

DJLinus
12-16-10, 11:39 AM
Poster!

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9585/paulk.jpg

A Simon Pegg tweet (http://twitter.com/simonpegg/status/15068682875052032):

Morning all. The full length Paul trailer will premiere as a Yahoo exclusive this Friday, then go wide after 24 hours. Hold onto your butts.

He also later retweeted that the trailer will be attached to Little Fockers, in the UK at least.

Rival11
12-16-10, 10:47 PM
Ok, it's good enough for me that Pegg & Frost made another flick together again but Bateman being in this is just icing on the cake.

I thought it was a good trailer for being so short. Looks promising.

Numanoid
12-17-10, 10:18 PM
Hmmm. I mustered up one half-smile, and zero laughs, during the entire trailer. Not a good sign.

Paul1957
12-21-10, 12:51 AM
<object width="720" height="436"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/32112"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/32112" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="436"></embed></object>

Supermallet
12-21-10, 01:57 AM
Still doesn't look fantastic, but I feel like I'll enjoy it just for the cast.

DJLinus
12-21-10, 07:45 AM
Still doesn't look fantastic, but I feel like I'll enjoy it just for the cast.

That's exactly what I thought going into Smokin' Aces. It didn't turn out well. :(

RocShemp
12-21-10, 09:29 AM
So it's basically Roger: The Movie just only mildly amusing. I still wanna see it cos of the cast but this doesn't look very promising. And I say this as one of maybe five people that actually enjoyed How To Lose Friends And Alienate People.

BJacks
12-21-10, 03:16 PM
I love Simon and Nick but this looks awful. They shouldn't have gone with a CGI alien. Makes it look too cartoony, like Spacejam.

d2cheer
12-23-10, 12:51 PM
IDK, I thought that trailor in post #44 was pretty damn funny. Except the part where he ate the bird saw that coming a mile away.

Would I see this in the theater?? Doubtfull but it will make a good weekend rental when it comes out on DVD.

Dr Mabuse
12-23-10, 01:28 PM
I'll see this for sure.

The trailer looks like a lame marketing attempt to me(like most), and thus a poor reflection of the film, but maybe not.

Daytripper
12-23-10, 03:24 PM
So it's basically Roger: The Movie just only mildly amusing. I still wanna see it cos of the cast but this doesn't look very promising. And I say this as one of maybe five people that actually enjoyed How To Lose Friends And Alienate People.

Guess I'm one of the five people because I loved "HTLFAAP". Bought the BD from England and have watched it about a dozen times since. And counting.

RocShemp
12-23-10, 04:05 PM
Guess I'm one of the five people because I loved "HTLFAAP". Bought the BD from England and have watched it about a dozen times since. And counting.

It's great to see someone other than myself in this forum who thought it was great. :up:

Daytripper
12-23-10, 05:27 PM
It's great to see someone other than myself in this forum who thought it was great. :up:

If you are expecting the frenetic pacing of "Shaun" or "Fuzz", then you will be disappointed. Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this film. It's very funny and engaging. With a terrific cast. Now "Run Fatboy Run" on the otherhand? WOOF!

maingon
01-07-11, 12:45 AM
Heres the trailer. looks great

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/paul/

BJacks
02-17-11, 05:15 PM
Saw "Paul" last night and it's good, not great. It's probably one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, and definitely a good stoner flick. Going in I was worried that having Seth Rogen be the alien's voice would be distracting, and I still felt that coming out. I'd rather they went with an unknown. But overall, if you're a nerd like me and a fan of Simon and Nick, you'll probably enjoy this.

jfoobar
02-17-11, 06:59 PM
Currently 65% (25 reviews) at RT.

PopcornBandit
02-17-11, 07:00 PM

Count me in as one of the five also. Great movie.

That being said, the cast of Paul alone will get me into a theater.

GenPion
02-17-11, 08:19 PM
I'm going to do everything in my power to see this at the SXSW film festival. I cannot wait! As a huge fan of Greg Mottola, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost it should be right up my alley.

jdslater1
02-18-11, 12:38 AM
Watched this on Tuesday and loved it. My girlfriend din't get all the injokes but she got enough to laugh alot of the time.
There are alot of Spielberg and Star Wars nods but not enough that you are drowning in them. Jason Bateman was a surprise in this. I love the guy but he can be quite one-note but he was great.
Also, the action scenes were very well handled and Rogan does a good job as Paul.

JJE-187
02-18-11, 01:13 AM
Is this going to get a Wide release or a limited run?

BJacks
02-18-11, 02:09 PM
Is this going to get a Wide release or a limited run?This is a wide studio release.

DJLinus
03-11-11, 07:31 AM
Just FYI, Best Buy has a deal right now where if you buy certain on-sale Blu Rays you get $10 in movie cash for Paul or Your Highness:

http://www.universalstudiosentertainment.com/Paul_moviecash_portal_rev2.jpg

(spoilerized for size)

http://www.universalstudiosentertainment.com/movie-cash.php

Most of those were $15, but I remember Scott Pilgrim being priced at $20.

Due to Pegg and Frost's involvement, I was planning on seeing Paul anyway, so I went ahead and upgraded my Shaun of the Dead DVD (which I planned on doing eventually) for essentially $5 or so.

I also went ahead and upgraded my Hot Fuzz DVD*, so I guess I'll be going to Your Highness, too.

*All of my work tracking down the Wal-Mart bonus disc and then exchanging the full screen copy of the movie seems for naught now. :lol:

Spottedfeather
03-11-11, 09:08 PM
I was really excited to see this....until I heard the alien speak. Seth Rogan. Ugh. Nothing he has done has been any good. I was also excited to see Green Hornet....until I heard that Seth Rogan was going to be in it. I can't STAND Seth Rogan. I hate him so much, I can't stand it. He's just not funny. And I'm sick and tired of everyone going around saying that he is. Someone isn't funny just because you want him to be.

islandclaws
03-11-11, 09:12 PM
This looks so fucking dumb.

Travis McClain
03-12-11, 06:35 AM
I was really excited to see this....until I heard the alien speak. Seth Rogan. Ugh. Nothing he has done has been any good. I was also excited to see Green Hornet....until I heard that Seth Rogan was going to be in it. I can't STAND Seth Rogan. I hate him so much, I can't stand it. He's just not funny. And I'm sick and tired of everyone going around saying that he is. Someone isn't funny just because you want him to be.

We've been over this: just because you have a dissenting opinion doesn't make it any more valid than the one with which you disagree.

kstublen
03-12-11, 06:44 AM
The trailers have left me sort of 'meh' about this, but I think it's just poorly done trailers. I like all of the people involved and will see this, either in theaters or on DVD.

We've been over this: just because you have a dissenting opinion doesn't make it any more valid than the one with which you disagree.

You're wrong. When I think a movie is bad or someone can't act, it's an opinion. When Spottedfeather thinks a movie is bad or someone can't act, it's a fact.

MoviePage
03-12-11, 08:07 AM
I was going to see this, but I'll probably be too busy going around repeatedly saying that Seth Rogen is funny.

Travis McClain
03-12-11, 08:33 AM
Incidentally, Best Buy has a handful of Universal titles on Blu-ray that come with $10 movie cash to see either Paul or Your Highness. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are on sale for $14.99 apiece, so we splurged and upgraded both of those. $30 got us those two Blus and we get to see Paul for free next week. Definitely win-win!

Solid Snake
03-12-11, 08:39 AM
I already own all the ones I want..so I'll just wait for a Thursday for College Day here and pay $3.50.

Osiris3657
03-13-11, 10:06 PM
The trailers for this have sucked. I like Frost and Pegg (although I didn't think Hot Fuzz was that great), and I enjoyed Motolla's Adventureland and Superbad, but this just looks bad.

Travis McClain
03-14-11, 09:13 AM
The trailers for this have sucked. I like Frost and Pegg (although I didn't think Hot Fuzz was that great), and I enjoyed Motolla's Adventureland and Superbad, but this just looks bad.

We watched Hot Fuzz on Blu-ray last night (first on that format, but not a first time viewing) and it still holds up great for us. I don't think the trailers have sucked, nor does this "just look bad." It looks like E.T. with frat humor to me, and I'm down with that.

TGM
03-14-11, 09:34 AM
this movie looks horrible, and while Shaun of the Dead is one of my all time favorites, I agree Hot Fuzz was "meh" at best. I won't be watching this until it hits netflix instant queue, if at all.

james2025a
03-14-11, 09:45 AM
For me, if Pegg and Frost do not have Wright backing them up then i am not interested. They do have Spielberg and Jackson behind them for the Tin Tin movie....but not really interested the source material there.

And i concur with any comments made about Seth Rogan and how unfunny he is. He is the living example of its not the talent that you have but rather the people you know.

pinata242
03-14-11, 10:13 AM
I'm going to do something crazy. I'm going to watch the movie and judge its suckiness after I watch it and not the trailers. I know, I know. I'm reckless with my $8 and gambling on the strength of three actors I love.

Groucho
03-14-11, 10:14 AM
For me, if Pegg and Frost do not have Wright backing them up then i am not interested. They do have Spielberg and Jackson behind them for the Tin Tin movie....but not really interested the source material there.Wright co-wrote Tintin by the way, but note that Pegg and Frost are supporting characters in that -- so don't go in expecting Hot Fuzz 2: The Thompson Twins.

TGM
03-14-11, 10:45 AM
I'm going to do something crazy. I'm going to watch the movie and judge its suckiness after I watch it and not the trailers. I know, I know. I'm reckless with my $8 and gambling on the strength of three actors I love.

you do that. I'll save the (for me) $11 but more importantly the 2 hours of my life.

tylergfoster
03-14-11, 12:20 PM
I liked How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Saw this film last week. Can't say what I thought but I think people need to go in accepting it's going to be different from their stuff with Wright.

Boba Fett
03-14-11, 03:49 PM
I read the script for the movie a year back and it's definitely not as witty or "smart" as their Wright films, but it still stuck me as clever in parts and funny elsewhere.

I hated SUPERBAD but loved ADVENTURELAND, so as far as Greg Mottola films go, I'm not sure what to expect.

Daytripper
03-14-11, 11:38 PM
The Brit fans, who are usually the harshest critics, have rated the film 7.5/10 so far.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092026/

Numanoid
03-14-11, 11:56 PM
Can't say what I thought:hscratch:

Boba Fett
03-14-11, 11:59 PM
:hscratch:

Reviewers are often under an embargo and can't post a review and/or discuss the movie until a certain date.

Numanoid
03-15-11, 01:10 PM
Ahhh.

BJacks
03-15-11, 01:44 PM
I liked How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Saw this film last week. Can't say what I thought but I think people need to go in accepting it's going to be different from their stuff with Wright.The review embargo ended yesterday. As of March 14 you can say whatever you want.

Groucho
03-15-11, 01:47 PM
Currently 57 at Metacritic, and 66% at Rotten Tomatoes

Travis McClain
03-18-11, 10:29 PM
Saw it earlier this afternoon (thank you, movie cash!) and loved it. There were numerous call outs to geek culture throughout, but most of them were throwaway moments that didn't call too much attention to themselves so I thought they worked. I was surprised most by Kristen Wiig, who cracked me up throughout the film as a sheltered Christian whose entire belief system is shattered by Paul's very existence. She really brought the funny, and I hope those who bash her for her performances on SNL get over themselves and appreciate her in this.

anomynous
03-18-11, 11:15 PM
Just got back, it was hilarious

Dr. DVD
03-19-11, 07:12 PM
Saw it. Freaking loved it!

joe_b
03-19-11, 07:46 PM
GREAT flick! I'm surprised how much more tolerable Seth Rogen becomes when you're only hearing his voice... but really, I had a blast with this one.

Patman
03-19-11, 08:29 PM
"Paul" features Nick Frost (Clive) and Simon Pegg (Graeme) as life-long English buds who travel to America to attend Comicon in San Diego, and then they travel eastward in a RV to visit all the various locations with extraterrestrial reputations. At it would happen, the pair actually do meet up with extraterrestrial life, and that would be Paul, an alien who does look remarkably like the usual visage of an alien: greenish skin, large bald head, large eyes, skinny body. Paul is voice by Seth Rogen, and is remarkably versed in pop culture after being detained in Area 51 for many, many decades. The reason why Calvin and Graeme stumble upon Paul is because Paul is finally make an escape attempt, and after coming to terms with Paul's presence, the pair agree to take Paul to the rendezvous point. But it's not easy, as the FBI and the Secret Service are on the chase for Paul.

Tonally, the film's pretty light-hearted, but the plot is primarily chase-driven, with some good comedy bits sprinkled throughout, mainly through lots of cursing, and some alien-derived hijinks. I enjoyed most of it, and it'll be a staple for geek cinema culture for years to come.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

riley_dude
03-20-11, 03:27 AM

He is much funnier when you don't have to see him.
I saw it tonight and enjoyed. Not laugh out loud hilarious but some great character moments and lot's Nerd in jokes.

arthur_kahn
03-20-11, 01:14 PM
it finally came out in Canada on Friday. Caught it last night and loved it. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have done it again! The rest of the cast was great as well.

Lots of positive reviews here: http://www.facebook.com/PaulMovieCanada

DJLinus
03-20-11, 04:41 PM
Even with my expectations in check, this movie didn't do it for me. It's not terrible, but it just wasn't all that funny.

I think I laughed more at the trailer for "Your Highness", which was shown beforehand (and I have a free ticket for, as well).

Mike86
03-20-11, 04:53 PM
Saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it! Not surprising as I'm a fan of Pegg and Frost and the movie was had a bunch of great geek references, yet they didn't call too much attention to themselves like someone else said so they didn't feel overly done. The country version of the Cantina Band song was pretty great too :lol:.

Larry C.
03-20-11, 05:05 PM
Saw this Friday and loved it. The best thing about it is that even thou it was CGI it looked and felt real. Great job of making Paul seem human like.

riotinmyskull
03-20-11, 05:10 PM
just got back from this and i enjoyed it quite a bit. some of the humor was a tad immature at times but most of it hit the mark for me. not as good as SHAUN or FUZZ but still good none the less. loved all the references but especially these..

"smile you son of a bitch!" and "get away from her you bitch!"

the cast was top notch and although i think blythe danner did a great job i think it would've been a lot cooler if the part was played by dee wallace or melinda dillon.

GenPion
03-30-11, 04:48 PM
I know my review (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/48974/paul/) came late, but hopefully some of you will still want to see it.

pinata242
03-30-11, 05:56 PM
I saw this Sunday night and I loved it. No, it's not Shaun or Fuzz or Spaced without Wright, but it was a damn good nerd and movie-reference-filled time.

wearetheborg
06-10-11, 01:15 PM
I liked it a lot; its not mad hilarious, but lots of great sillyness. Its 15% sci-fi, 85% stoner flick. I really like Rogan's voice work in movies (this + monsters vs aliens).
I was on the floor during the comic book store scene. That was so wrong rotfl
3.75/5
I'm surprised it did not make more money.

Dr Mabuse
06-10-11, 01:18 PM
I enjoyed it okay, great cast of talent, but it wasn't a good film.

Not even a shadow of the greatness of 'Hot Fuzz'.

wearetheborg
06-12-11, 07:35 PM
I found surprising that the production budget with the CGI was still only 40M
And 50 first dates cost 75M to make.
Ugh.

EdTheRipper
06-20-11, 11:39 PM
I saw this tonight. Absolutely loved it. The biggest laugh for me was the reveal of Jason Bateman's first name. Just a totally obscure and silly reference, but it just cracked me up.

RichC2
06-21-11, 02:16 AM
I enjoyed it okay, great cast of talent, but it wasn't a good film.

Not even a shadow of the greatness of 'Hot Fuzz'.

imo, Hot Fuzz is the least enjoyable of the 3. It was a very clever, well shot movie, but it just wasn't particularly compelling or funny. Great final shoot-out though.

Shaun of the Dead is easily the best but Paul was pretty damn funny in its own right, and almost a great movie -- just hits a few road bumps it never quite fully recovers from.

wearetheborg
06-21-11, 04:13 AM
just hits a few road bumps it never quite fully recovers from.

Like what?

RichC2
06-21-11, 08:35 AM
for starters the drastic change in tone in the final stretch of the movie felt off and forced.

wearetheborg
06-21-11, 08:45 AM
for starters the drastic change in tone in the final stretch of the movie felt off and forced.

I found it to be fine ... comedy bits were inserted all the way.

Rival11
09-18-11, 10:52 PM
I love this movie. Watched it again today - it's just a lot of fun to get caught up in and Wiig's discovery of swearing never gets old.

d2cheer
09-19-11, 09:31 AM
Comedy of the year for me, it seems to get better each time.

rexinnih
09-19-11, 10:46 AM
Finally caught this over the weekend. Enjoyable and loaded with geekerific references. I'm sad because I got most of them.....

The Infidel
09-27-11, 05:18 PM
Picked this up for the night from Redbox. Very enjoyable. Kristen Wiig definitely steals nearly every scene she's in. I summed it up for my friends on FB as "just like E.T., except with lots of cursing, pot smoking, and Jason Bateman."

bluetoast
12-30-11, 12:40 PM
Saw this the other night, wasn't too impressed. Paul the character was well done, and at times it had enjoyable moments, but at other times it seemed like it was just riding on the coattails of movie references.

islandclaws
03-09-12, 05:06 PM
Watched this a week or two ago since it finally hit HD networks.

I had fun with it. For such a ridiculous premise, it rarely takes itself seriously. Pegg & Frost have such a great chemistry that watching them talk & bicker alone is worth the watch, adding in Rogen as an alien stoner only made it that much better. I also thought Wiig was great here. It's weird, I never used to find her attractive but now I keep seeing her as this uncharted piece of ass. The stuff with Sigourney was OK, a little expected but it didn't ruin it for me.

I don't think I'll buy it, but I had a good time watching it.