Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol. 14 coming Feb. 3, 2009

The four movies are:

Mad Monster
Manhunt in Space
Soultaker
Final Justice

No word yet on cost or extras. I'm exciting to see this release coming so close behind the 20th anniversary set:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mys...olume-14/10846
Old 11-10-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure I remember the other two off the top of my head, but I am very happy to see Soultaker and Final Justice!
Old 11-10-08, 10:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hope we get Servo in the box this go around?
Old 11-11-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soultaker FTW!
Old 11-11-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts
I'm always fired up for more MST3K, but I have to laugh at this. When Shout got the rights to the show, there was all this talk about how Rhino sucked and didn't give the fans what they wanted, but Shout will make things all better. Apart from a couple of bonus features on the 20th Anniversary set, these sets seem like they're exactly the same as the Rhino ones. Just a mish mash of whatever 4 episodes they can get the rights to. Yah, sometimes Rhino made stupid mistakes like putting Joel on the cover of a Mike episode or whatever, but the two don't seem much different to me. Personally, I don't have a problem with this as I don't mind the 4 episode format and buy them all anyway, but it sure seems like a big deal was made (by Shout and the fans) when the rights changed but it's really just more of the same.
Old 11-11-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocket1312
I'm always fired up for more MST3K, but I have to laugh at this. When Shout got the rights to the show, there was all this talk about how Rhino sucked and didn't give the fans what they wanted, but Shout will make things all better. Apart from a couple of bonus features on the 20th Anniversary set, these sets seem like they're exactly the same as the Rhino ones. Just a mish mash of whatever 4 episodes they can get the rights to. Yah, sometimes Rhino made stupid mistakes like putting Joel on the cover of a Mike episode or whatever, but the two don't seem much different to me. Personally, I don't have a problem with this as I don't mind the 4 episode format and buy them all anyway, but it sure seems like a big deal was made (by Shout and the fans) when the rights changed but it's really just more of the same.
But I got a mini-Crow bust and a dented tin!
Old 11-11-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ I would say those comments came from the casual fans of MST3k, rather than the hardcore. I'm personally happy just to get 4 new episodes, because it means that I can get rid of another VHS tape and VCD that I've been storing for years. The truth is that I'll keep the VHS tapes, because it brings back so many good memories.
Old 11-11-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think cool special features and a faster release date is enough of an upgrade from Rhino for me. I'm happier seeing sets with a few strong episodes paired with weaker ones vs. a set of four duds.
Old 11-11-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They are doing a better job than Rhino. These are coming out faster.

I just wish they'd do the original versions of the movies as a special feature like that did at the beginning.
Old 11-11-08, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
^ I would say those comments came from the casual fans of MST3k, rather than the hardcore. I'm personally happy just to get 4 new episodes, because it means that I can get rid of another VHS tape and VCD that I've been storing for years. The truth is that I'll keep the VHS tapes, because it brings back so many good memories.
I'm hanging on to my VHS as well- those things cost $20 apiece back in the day! We should all be overjoyed that the shows are continuing to be released at all. Just imagine a day when all the episodes only available on Youtube are collected on DVD.
Old 11-11-08, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Well, so far they managed to give us LASERBLAST, which was an important episode that RHINO never bothered with, despite fans begging for it. And they've just started. Two weeks after the first release, they are informing us of the next one, which is marvelous. At this rate, we should expect three a year instead of the wobbly one-perhaps-two of RHINO.

I think good things are coming. I'm hoping for a TURKEY DAY boxed set for next November. I'd love that. With Blood Beast and The Chicken of Tomorrow.
Old 11-11-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in as I'm already thirteen four-disc sets in (I also own the two-disc Essentials).

I'm just hoping the video quality is better than the 20th anniversary set.
Old 11-11-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by R. Hilton
I'm hanging on to my VHS as well- those things cost $20 apiece back in the day! We should all be overjoyed that the shows are continuing to be released at all. Just imagine a day when all the episodes only available on Youtube are collected on DVD.
You can always download DVDs from DAP while you wait.
Old 11-11-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts
I'll concede that Rhino was frustrating at times because of their flaky release schedule and lack of information, but they did release 12 box sets (and 1 2-disc set) in the span of 5 years. That's not that bad. I just was under the impression that most people took issue with the format of their output (4 unrelated episodes in a set, uneven balance between Joel and Mike) and was simply struck by how similar the Shout releases were.

All in all though, I'm not complaing at all. I'd rather have some more/better Joel episodes (only 3 out of 8 so far with one being a season 1 episode which never really interested me), but any MST3K at all works for me.
Old 11-11-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a really good balance of episodes.

Mad Monster is the third episode of season 1 and will be a treat for fans, but will also be the worst episode of the set because its from season 1 when they were still polishing the idea of MST.

Manhunt in Space is one of my favorites. This is mid season 4 when Joel and the bots were a well oiled machine. This will easily be my favorite of the set.

Soultaker is a must have episode. This is Joel's and Frank's return for the first episode of season 10 when you find out Joel has been touring with Man or Astro-man? while away from the SOL.

Final Justice is also pretty good, but not as funny as Mitchell.

A very good selection from Shout Factory. An early season 1, one of the best of season 4 and two solid episodes from the last season. As always they have my money.
Old 11-12-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally, Final Justice! I think it's much funnier than Mitchell and also much more worthy of eliciting Joe Don Baker's ire.
Old 11-12-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I'd be more impressed if they'd put on close captioning or subtitles. Universal of all studios managed to do it for the re-release of the movie, so it's certainly possible.

Uncut movies and behind the scenes footage of the puppets would also be great.
Old 11-12-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs Up for:
Manhunt in Space
Soultaker
Final Justice

Thumbs Down for:
Mad Monster

I've seen every available episode of the show and "Mad Monster" is one of the very weakest episodes of the entire series. And I personally don't see a need to release more than a handful of key Season 1 episodes (especially the 1st cable episode, "The Crawling Eye", which still has yet to be released!) because it was the weakest cable season of the show. (KTMA was the very weakest season of them all, but that wasn't on cable).
Old 11-12-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'd be more impressed if they'd put on close captioning or subtitles. Universal of all studios managed to do it for the re-release of the movie, so it's certainly possible.
They were on the original DVD release too. (And even on the earlier VHS release as closed captions!)
Old 11-13-08, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac
Thumbs Up for:
Manhunt in Space
Soultaker
Final Justice

Thumbs Down for:
Mad Monster

I've seen every available episode of the show and "Mad Monster" is one of the very weakest episodes of the entire series. And I personally don't see a need to release more than a handful of key Season 1 episodes (especially the 1st cable episode, "The Crawling Eye", which still has yet to be released!) because it was the weakest cable season of the show. (KTMA was the very weakest season of them all, but that wasn't on cable).
Season one isn't very good, but the thing about it is, good clean copies of the episodes are very rare because they didn't air very often during the "circulate the tapes" phenomenon. So getting them on DVD is a good thing.
Old 11-13-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Season one isn't very good, but the thing about it is, good clean copies of the episodes are very rare because they didn't air very often during the "circulate the tapes" phenomenon. So getting them on DVD is a good thing.
The DAP episode is pretty rough. It will be nice to get this one on DVD, but lets hope the master tape is in good condition.
Old 11-29-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MST3Kinfo.com says these are the extras for the set:

• A new interview With “Soultaker” star and MST3K favorite Joe Estevez.
• Mike, Tom and Crow’s appearance on ESPN Classic’s “Cheap Seats Without Ron Parker.”
• A new interview with “Final Justice” writer/director Greydon Clark.

The interviews don't really interest me, but the Cheap Seats appearance does. I hope it's a sign that Shout Factory will release that show on DVD.
Old 11-29-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually went to a friend's house to catch their appearance on Cheap Seats the night the episode aired, so that definitely brings back some memories.
Old 11-29-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The interviews don't really interest me, but the Cheap Seats appearance does. I hope it's a sign that Shout Factory will release that show on DVD.
That would be fantastic.
Old 11-29-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
That would be fantastic.
It definitely would. I have all the episodes, but they are pretty rough recordings. I would gladly pay for a complete series. Nice we at least get the MST3K crossover episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.