Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Talk Talk: Live at Montreux 1986'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Talk Talk: Live at Montreux 1986 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35248 and...

Wow. Just.....wow. As a "kid" from the 80's, I never got a chance to see Talk Talk in concert. I don't even think they came to my city. But I was a huge fan. Owned everything they produced. So I was especially excited to hear about this live DVD. And, just like the review states, it's not to be missed by any Talk Talk fans. Aside from the very dated and non modern looking guitar player and drummer (with their mullets), this is still a very modern rock band. And 20 plus years on, their music still gave me good bumps. And what a suprise and bonus that they are just as good live. You must must rent this DVD at the very least. Again.....WOW!

Last edited by Daytripper; 11-10-08 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-11-08, 12:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've loved Talk Talk for years myself. I had no idea that this DVD was coming out until I saw Bill's well-written review.
Old 11-11-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've loved Talk Talk for years myself. I had no idea that this DVD was coming out until I saw Bill's well-written review.

I didn't know this was out either until I saw the review here. So thank you Bill for writing it. Why on earth did it take so long for this concert to come out? I don't even remember it on VHS. Which, btw, is what the picture quality looks like. So don't expect a super crisp image. But who cares. The performance was outstanding.
Old 11-13-08, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of the eighties!

Couldn't agree more! I must admit to being a bit spoiled though. I came across a dvd of a long-lost Talk Talk show from the same year, performed in Salamanca, Spain. Excellent video and audio quality, and basically the same show. But this is even better in sound, and more intimate in location. These guys were one of THE most underrated bands of the late eighties, and were unfortunately (and forever) lumped into the "synth-pop" category from which they began. But they expanded their pallette considerably over the years, and to me, their zenith was the album for this tour, "The colour of spring". Definitely a band who expand the studio sound of their songs, adding color and depth live, as opposed to so many bands of the era who just simply recreated their albums note-for-note. For a twenty-two year old show, the sound on this disc is amazing. And the DTS surround sound is stunning. If any band of that decade deserves a reunion, it's Talk Talk. Unfortunately, with Mark Hollis being Mark Hollis, I think this DVD is about as close as we'll ever get to seeing them live.