DVD Talk
So, the bank made me put my account # on coin rolls before depositing them [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So, the bank made me put my account # on coin rolls before depositing them

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
11-10-08, 11:20 AM
Well, I went to Citibank and tried to deposit a large number of coin rolls, and they made me put my account # on each roll. Is this something that all banks require? Or just some banks?

Mole177
11-10-08, 11:24 AM
i did the same. (citi too)

The Infidel
11-10-08, 11:29 AM
Considering that any coin roll could find its way to someone other than the bank, I wouldn't do it. We get tons of coin rolls for our restaurant, and ever so often I'll see some with someone's name and phone number on them, but never account numbers. To me, this would be the same as just handing your social security card to someone walking down the street. If my bank made me do something like that, I'd switch banks.

j123vt_99
11-10-08, 11:38 AM
varies from bank to bank. i assume they do it so when they go back and weigh the coins or open them and find a bunch of misplaced/miscounted coins, they can trace it back

kvrdave
11-10-08, 11:40 AM
We just put our name on them. Don't they have a coin counter?

dick_grayson
11-10-08, 11:46 AM
go to pnc (if they have one near you) and they'll do them for free. you don't need to be a customer with them. they'll print a receipt and you can just cash it out.

jonw9
11-10-08, 11:47 AM
Considering that any coin roll could find its way to someone other than the bank, I wouldn't do it. We get tons of coin rolls for our restaurant, and ever so often I'll see some with someone's name and phone number on them, but never account numbers. To me, this would be the same as just handing your social security card to someone walking down the street. If my bank made me do something like that, I'd switch banks.

Not even close!

Do you also cross off the bottoms of your checks? That would be even worse, since the person would have your account number, AND YOUR BANK!!11!!!

I would not worry too much. The used to do it around her, and I think people complained and they stopped. When I was growing up, it was name and telephone number. So I guess if somebody got shorted, they could call you for their 3 pennies! :lol:

marty888
11-10-08, 11:49 AM
I probasbly haven't deposited a roll of coins in over a decade - and back then it was required to have the account number written on the roll.

Standard practice.

Brian Shannon
11-10-08, 12:02 PM
I would not do it, my bank no longer asks for it.

How do I know?

I used to be a bank officer and I can tell you from a first hand experience of a customers account being stolen after getting account numbers off of a coin wrapper.

If they refuse, find someplace else to dispose of the coin.

cultshock
11-10-08, 12:05 PM
Not even close!

Do you also cross off the bottoms of your checks? That would be even worse, since the person would have your account number, AND YOUR BANK!!11!!!

Exactly. Everytime you write a check, the recipient gets your bank account number. It's no big deal, they couldn't do much with it, and that has a lot more information than a random roll of coins would. :lol:

7Keys
11-10-08, 12:27 PM
I've never deposited coin rolls before, but I know my local credit union makes people write the account number on the roll.

spainlinx0
11-10-08, 12:40 PM
I just go to Commerce (now TD Bank) and they do it for free for even non customers. I just go with my girlfriend though since she is a customer, and I won't have to hear the sales pitch.

wishbone
11-10-08, 12:43 PM
I deposited some rolls of pennies several years ago and I was supposed to write my account number on them but when I tried this again a year or so ago they did not want the pennies in rolls.

The Infidel
11-10-08, 01:25 PM
Not even close!

Well, you know what? That's why I put that little thing in my post you quoted that said "to me". It means that's my opinion. I wouldn't personally do it. I think it's a little different writing an actual check to someone, and putting your account number on a goddamn roll of pennies. Would you toss your bank account number out there on the internet on some random forum? To me, it's the same thing.

Jacoby Ellsbury
11-10-08, 01:49 PM
I never put my account number because after putting a coin at both ends and filling the rest with sand I dont really want the bank deducting that money out of my account.

aintnosin
11-10-08, 02:53 PM
I used to have to do that, before I started using the Coinstar machines.

TheMadMonk
11-10-08, 03:10 PM
Don't put your account number on them if they are your ass pennies.

Sean O'Hara
11-10-08, 03:43 PM
http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsO/13136-21298.gif

Warshers?

so it goes
11-10-08, 03:57 PM
Where I work, we no longer have customers do this. I've never heard of putting your account number on the rolls, but your name used to be required. It was to reconcile it if any thing was short/over. They stopped doing it becuase it is a security issue when the rolls are given out to other customers. We now have to peel off the address labels or black out the writing on any we get in like that.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
11-10-08, 04:13 PM
I used to have to do that, before I started using the Coinstar machines.

i would use the coinstar machines, but they charge a percentage if you want cash, and i know you can get GC's at face value to Amazon and what not, but i'm not sure what i'm gonna do with a few thousand dollars in GC's.

Dr Mabuse
11-10-08, 04:47 PM
I never put my account number because after putting a coin at both ends and filling the rest with sand I dont really want the bank deducting that money out of my account.

:lol:

mickey65
11-10-08, 05:20 PM
At the Wells Fargo banks out here, I just bring in my tub of coins and they dump it in one those "coinstar" type of machines and give me paper money for it.

TomOpus
11-10-08, 05:39 PM
With the advent of CoinStar, I can't remember the last time I've cashed coins at a bank.

jonw9
11-10-08, 05:53 PM
Well, you know what? That's why I put that little thing in my post you quoted that said "to me". It means that's my opinion. I wouldn't personally do it. I think it's a little different writing an actual check to someone, and putting your account number on a goddamn roll of pennies. Would you toss your bank account number out there on the internet on some random forum? To me, it's the same thing.

But it is not the same thing. It is just a number. First, the teller already knows your account number, then the coins go out and can end up at other banks. What good is a number if you don't know what bank it goes to?

My bank account number is 985319. There you go, come take all my pennies.

DVD Polizei
11-10-08, 09:02 PM
And what bank is that for? Number doesn't look familiar.

:D

movie diva
11-10-08, 10:37 PM
The evil Bank of America use to make you put your account number on coin rolls, but not any more but they know who they are from because before you can talk to a teller you have to slide your ATM card and if they are short they will send an evil minion to you house.

Ocelot
11-11-08, 09:24 AM

din din, totally agree... i canceled my Citibank account. Their on-line service is mediocre, but the protection is poor comparing to that of Chase. You shouldn't be asked to write down anything on the rolls. You know, i still can't believe that in my college days, they make you use your SS# as student IDs (i still have my teammates' SS#s on the floppy disks, team projects).

Ocelot
11-11-08, 09:33 AM
Exactly. Everytime you write a check, the recipient gets your bank account number. It's no big deal, they couldn't do much with it, and that has a lot more information than a random roll of coins would. :lol:

I disagree, same to you, Jonw9 (not even close my ass). While it's harmless to most people, but you do want to limit the exposure. Anything is harmless if it's used in the intended fashion. Acct#s should be kept secretive like SS#s, common sense now a day in the digital internet age.

If it's not-even-close, i dare you post your acct# here :)

jonw9
11-11-08, 09:36 AM
I disagree, same to you, Jonw9 (not even close my ass). While it's harmless to most people, but you do want to limit the exposure. Anything is harmless if it's used in the intended fashion. Acct#s should be kept secretive like SS#s, common sense now a day in the digital internet age.

If it's not-even-close, i dare you post your acct# here :)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9063887-post24.html

Ocelot
11-11-08, 09:39 AM
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9063887-post24.html

crazy old man, google account 985319 will expose the number to the world... and what kind of acct# is that? so short...

Sean O'Hara
11-11-08, 10:00 AM

There are a number of online stores where you can pay through your bank account without any sort of card -- just input your account and routing number.

As for rolls of coins, if it has your account number, all someone needs is the routing number -- and you can get that if you know what bank the roll came from, as an employee of a store could easily figure out.

jonw9
11-11-08, 11:28 AM
crazy old man, google account 985319 will expose the number to the world... and what kind of acct# is that? so short...

I guess smaller banks have shorter numbers. On my checks, it is just zero-padded to make the common 10 or whatever. :shrug:

There are a number of online stores where you can pay through your bank account without any sort of card -- just input your account and routing number.

As for rolls of coins, if it has your account number, all someone needs is the routing number -- and you can get that if you know what bank the roll came from, as an employee of a store could easily figure out.

But this information is freely given on a check. The check has the account number, routing number, and even the bank name, your name, and address printed on it. Some random numbers on a roll of pennies is not an issue. Have you had more checks, or rolled coins in circulation? The argument does not make sense.

Ocelot
11-11-08, 02:55 PM
i don't know JonW, you're one tough dinosaur :) (in a good way).

cultshock
11-11-08, 06:35 PM

So if someone writes me a check, I could just use the account number and routing number on his check and use that info to buy something from one of these online stores? I'm sorry, but I have my doubts about that.

I'm still with jonw9 on this one. What about bank transfers? It's not as common as it is in Europe, but still, for these types of transactions, the sender needs the account and routing number of the recipient's bank account. With this info, it is possible to add money to someone else's account, but not possible to withdraw any.

OK, I never say "never", so I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely, for someone somewhere that has a lot of necessary knowledge to possibly do something shifty with a bank account number, but the chances still seem extremely small, so I don't worry about writing checks (not that I write that many) or putting my account number on a roll of coins.

emanon
11-11-08, 06:43 PM
Anything that I've ever used required more verification than that. For instance, to link my Ing Direct account to a checking account, I would first provide Ing Direct with the routing and account numbers. Ing will then make multiple small deposits into the checking account, and require that I verify the amount of these deposits before linking the accounts.

Goldblum
11-11-08, 07:57 PM
They want to know what jerk is wasting their time depositing coins, so they can avoid you in the future. ;)

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
11-11-08, 10:56 PM

i google'd "985319 bank account" and the first result was this thread. :eek:

DVD Polizei
11-11-08, 11:26 PM
My acct# is 8675309.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
11-11-08, 11:31 PM
My acct# is 8675309.

hey, that's my ex-girlfriend's number!

10-7
11-12-08, 07:54 PM

My bank requires me to file a written authorization to allow electronic debits by the routing/account number method.

Red Dog
11-12-08, 08:01 PM
I probasbly haven't deposited a roll of coins in over a decade - and back then it was required to have the account number written on the roll.

Standard practice.

Same here.