Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "Villains" -- 11.10.2008

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 10:56 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Heroes -- "Villains" -- 11.10.2008

After being gone last week...it returns!

Spoiler:
To prepare for the confrontation ahead, Hiro follows respected businessman, husband and father Arthur Petrelli (guest star Robert Forster) in the days before he "died" -- to discover what drove him to create rival company Pinehearst and strike at Angela. Later, a moment unfolds where Sylar, horrified and guilt-ridden, might have stopped his murderous pursuit of abilities -- that is, if H.R.G. and Elle (guest star Kristen Bell) had swayed from their monstrous assignment. Finally, under the wing of Company man Thompson (guest star Eric Roberts), agent-in-training Meredith (guest star Jessalyn Gelsig) watches her new life go up in smoke, following the arrival of her hot-headed brother. Greg Grunberg, James Kyson Lee, Ali Larter, Hayden Panettiere, Adrian Pasdar, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Dania Ramirez and Milo Ventimiglia also star. Jimmy Jean-Louis, Malcolm McDowell, Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine, Ron Perkins, Blake Shields, and Jeff Staron guest star.

Last edited by Gizmo; 11-10-08 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-10-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This episode is suppose to be good... compared with the rest of season at least.
Old 11-10-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Wow! Rogue didn't start this thread? That's a surprise.

I can't say I'm looking forward to this episode. Terminator and Prison Break have priority. But, I will watch it before the week is over.
Old 11-10-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
This episode is suppose to be good... compared with the rest of season at least.
I can only hope.
Old 11-10-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
like how they havea new title sequence for this episode
Old 11-10-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like how they are tying this episode back to previous episodes thus far.
Old 11-10-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i forget, when did Arthur "die" in the first season? What episode?
Old 11-10-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i forget, when did Arthur "die" in the first season? What episode?
i don't really remember them showing it, did they?
Old 11-10-08, 08:50 PM

This might be the single worst episode of the entire series. The did-you-see-what-I-did-there-o-meter is so far in the red that the gauge broke. And it's completely rewriting the early episodes of season 1.
Old 11-10-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
This might be the single worst episode of the entire series. The did-you-see-what-I-did-there-o-meter is so far in the red that the gauge broke. And it's completely rewriting the early episodes of season 1.
I agree. Revisiting the past to STRENGTHEN the traits of your characters is a good thing if you can do it well.

Revisiting the past to CONTRADICT the traits (particularly the beloved ones) of your characters is a very bad idea. This Sylar shit is the worst bit of revisionism since Greedo shooting first.
Old 11-10-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well that's certainly an interesting why to end an episode.
Old 11-10-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
I totally agree. It's one thing to make the new season shitty. It's a whole 'nother thing to pull a George Lucas and make the first season shitty.

That was so bad. It's the only episode that after watching it, my head hurts trying to figure it out.
Old 11-10-08, 09:08 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I liked it. I thought it was a nice departure from the regualr crap we've been getting.

I liked the ways that they tied into previous episodes, even if they did rewrite a few things (i.e. I thought Arthur killed himself, but I'll take the "heart attack").

Meredith and Flint as bro/sis is kinda funny... it fits, but it's kinda funny.

Poor "African Issac".
Old 11-10-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am ambivalent, though it was nice to see Kristen Bell get many scenes in this one, though I just don't know if I buy Elle being stable enough to pull off the "seduction" scenes.
Old 11-10-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree with Patman--ambivalence. An entire show largely constructed around "minor" characters, only to show how they interacted behind-the-scenes in season one, when as a viewer, I really don't care.

I did like being able to see Kristen Bell act finally, and I enjoyed a few of the cute tie-ins to season one (like when HRG gets in the cab with Mohinder), but geez, I barely remember the details of the season.

I felt like this season was getting better...let's hope they get back to that next week...
Old 11-10-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I think I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of the retcons and continuity gaffes.

I'm assuming that this didn't all take place during "real time." Arthur Petrelli had already died before the first episode, but we see Claire running into the burning train from early in season one.

And the reference to an "invisible man" would put Meredith's storyline here well before Noah shot Claude. Which doesn't really make a lot of sense unless Flint was held at the company for a very long time (while Claude was still active to early season one, to when Claire ran into the burning train).

I don't think I really buy their attempt to make Sylar sympathetic by showing a suicide attempt, and then trying to explain away his serial killings as the influence of The Company.

And, looking back, I'm not sure why it was so important to keep Claire hidden from The Company. Noah had said something about how they would experiment on her and perform vivisection on her, but since they had Adam locked away at the time she seems kind of redundant to their needs.
Old 11-10-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked last weeks episode better.... exactly
Old 11-10-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There were times this week where I felt genuinely entertained for the first time in a long while, but that's the best that I can say about it.

It still feels crowded, disjointed, and, as mentioned now they screwed around with season 1 as well...so I'll join the ambivalent club.

It's not a compliment when you're watching a show only because there's nothing else on, nothing else to do, and you're still feeling enough of an attachment to certain people and certain stories that you just can't quite give it up yet.
Old 11-11-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Wow, the show is already over, over here on the west coast and this thread only has 17 replies? Man, this show has really fallen off....

As for the episode, another yawner.
Old 11-11-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
It was a good episode. I guess I'm not loyal to S1 and S2 like some of you so seeing the connecting of the seasons like this was fine with me.
Old 11-11-08, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Poor "African Issac".
I'm surprised he didn't see it coming.
Old 11-11-08, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Decent episode. The only thing that really bothered me was Linderman. He was built up as the ultimate bad-ass in season one and here we find out (in the first five minutes no less), that he was a pussy behind the scenes and afraid of Nathan. Oooookay.

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I liked the ways that they tied into previous episodes, even if they did rewrite a few things (i.e. I thought Arthur killed himself, but I'll take the "heart attack").(
I'm pretty sure it has always been a heart attack.

Originally Posted by mnementh
I'm surprised he didn't see it coming.
Who said he didn't?

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-11-08 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-11-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Decent episode. The only thing that really bothered me was Linderman. He was built up as the ultimate bad-ass in season one and here we find out (in the first five minutes no less), that he was a pussy behind the scenes and afraid of Nathan. Oooookay.

I think my time line is off after all the, "one year ago", lines on the screen but I just figured Linderman got brave after what he thought was Pa Patrelli's death.

I love how Ma Patrelli took out Pa. Even if it didn't quite work out the way she planned it was still slick.
Old 11-11-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I somewhat enjoyed this one. If only because it reminded me how much I enjoyed the first season. Peter was a nurse?! Characters used to have day jobs?!? Ahh the good ol' days.
Old 11-11-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
So wait, was Pa Patrelli's original power the mental push thing, or stealing people's powers?

And I could have sworn they said he killed himself too.

From the Heroswiki:

Petrelli is said to have died six months before Volume One: Genesis begins. His death is explained by his wife, Angela Petrelli, to have been a suicide brought about by delusions of grandeur and clinical depression. However, another story was given that Arthur died of a heart attack.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.