DVD Talk
Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2009 "October Horror Movie Challenge"... [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2009 "October Horror Movie Challenge"...

Chad
11-09-08, 10:30 PM
Fire away.

LickTheABCs
11-10-08, 12:48 AM
Had a blast. Didn't have to spin-kick any relatives. All I needed was FOUR more. Lookin' back on it, that's the only thing that sucked about it.

Well, other than the Funny Games remake. Oh, and Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!

Cardsfan111
11-10-08, 02:28 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Trevor
11-10-08, 08:17 AM
I'm thinking that perhaps we won't need the 31 films subset next year. I obviously liked the idea, but very few people participated. It looks like maybe only a dozen or so of us watched more than a handful of the list, and only about 6 people actively participated in the thread.

I feel that if done, it needs to be in a separate thread, for spoiler reasons, but if only a few people are going to participate maybe it isn't worth the trouble.

Maybe I'm wrong and there are a dozen or more lurkers who liked the discussion, but I doubt that.

Numes
11-10-08, 08:57 AM
I'm thinking that perhaps we won't need the 31 films subset next year. I obviously liked the idea, but very few people participated. It looks like maybe only a dozen or so of us watched more than a handful of the list, and only about 6 people actively participated in the thread.

I feel that if done, it needs to be in a separate thread, for spoiler reasons, but if only a few people are going to participate maybe it isn't worth the trouble.

Maybe I'm wrong and there are a dozen or more lurkers who liked the discussion, but I doubt that.

I liked the 31 films subset, but I was restricted by how many of the 31 films I actually had in my collection.

I thought the discussion was great, and definitely was a lot more in-depth than could be had by talking about "random" movies in the other thread.

Perhaps more of the subset could be chosen by the DVDTalk members next year. That would, in theory, spawn more discussion. However, it was disappointing that some of the people who picked the movies didn't post anything about the movie they chose.

I'd say it's definitely worth trying again next year.

edwardnortonfan
11-10-08, 09:22 AM
I personally liked the 31 movies idea. I even went out and bought the movies I didn't have so I could watch them (I even bought "The Shining" which is amazing considering how much I LOVE that movie). :nopanic: The only reason I didn't post in the discussion more was that I got so sick that eventually when it became clear I wasn't going to be watching many movies at all, I restricted my viewing to movies that happened to come on the movie channels while I was flipping around on the few days I was up to watching movies at all (that's why my list was so weird this year with so many off the wall titles like the abysmal "Monster Arc" and "Rottweiler"). I still tried to participate in the thread when we were discussing movies I'd seen (and of course when it came time to discuss te movie I chose). Like Numes, I think the discussion was good and I think it would be worth trying again this year.

cinemaphile
11-10-08, 10:28 AM
I think the problem with the 31 subset is if you're going to specify which movies to watch on a certain day, you're assuming everyone has the film (or has it readily available on that day). But if they don't, they just have to hope it's available to rent on that specific day. And if they're like me, many people don't want to (or can't afford to) make blind buys just to participate.
Not a criticism, just an explanation of why some (myself included) may not have participated.

RobCA
11-10-08, 10:29 AM
No offense, but I hope next year, more people use spoiler tags for their checklist. Maybe it's just because I don't use the checklist, but it got to be a pain having to scroll through them. At one point, I had to hit 'Page Down' four times to scroll through someone's list... and they'd only watched one movie.

Rob

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
11-10-08, 10:55 AM
I think the problem with the 31 subset is if you're going to specify which movies to watch on a certain day, you're assuming everyone has the film (or has it readily available on that day). But if they don't, they just have to hope it's available to rent on that specific day. And if they're like me, many people don't want to (or can't afford to) make blind buys just to participate.
Not a criticism, just an explanation of why some (myself included) may not have participated.

What if it was limited to movies that could be seen on youtube/google videos or, assuming there's a netflix free trial around that time, include those that can be streamed from the site?

Trevor
11-10-08, 11:04 AM
No offense, but I hope next year, more people use spoiler tags for their checklist. Maybe it's just because I don't use the checklist, but it got to be a pain having to scroll through them. At one point, I had to hit 'Page Down' four times to scroll through someone's list... and they'd only watched one movie.

Rob
Agreed. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a :thumbsup:, was it Dick L? Way too many people included the checklist but then didn't even use it. Chad, on that cool separate box thing that you do with some of your posts, can you include the forum code to make it all spoiler? I'm lazy and haven't figured out that formatting thing you guys do...
Good points. We tried to pick films that many people would already have in their collection, or were easily attainable. One thing I did, perhaps not entirely kosher, was to rent all the ones that I didn't own as soon as we set the lineup, and create my own Divx versions of them, tossing after viewing.
I liked the 31 films subset, but I was restricted by how many of the 31 films I actually had in my collection.
Yep, but remember that part of the point is to get us to try new things.
Perhaps more of the subset could be chosen by the DVDTalk members next year. That would, in theory, spawn more discussion. However, it was disappointing that some of the people who picked the movies didn't post anything about the movie they chose.

I'd say it's definitely worth trying again next year.
Agreed. More early participation and choosing may get more participation.

Another idea would be to have genre nights instead of specific film nights. Each of the following could be a night: a vampire film, zombie, Frankenstein, Giallo, silent, holiday, outer space, Stephen King, Bava, Fulci, werewolf, aliens, killer animals, serial killer, etc.

It should encourage more discussion. For example, on the Frankenstein night we had, it was limited to the classic original. Many people may not have it, may not like older movies, dislike that particular film (blasphemy), or had seen it recently and not want to watch it again. But they may have other Frankenstein-ish films that they want to watch, like the Re-animator films for example. More people would watch a film, so more would post, and therefore more conversations, which was/is the ultimate goal.

Giles
11-10-08, 11:13 AM
Agreed. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a :thumbsup:, was it Dick L? Way too many people included the checklist but then didn't even use it. Chad, on that cool separate box thing that you do with some of your posts, can you include the forum code to make it all spoiler? I'm lazy and haven't figured out that formatting thing you guys do...

Good points. We tried to pick films that many people would already have in their collection, or were easily attainable. One thing I did, perhaps not entirely kosher, was to rent all the ones that I didn't own as soon as we set the lineup, and create my own Divx versions of them, tossing after viewing.

Yep, but remember that part of the point is to get us to try new things.

Agreed. More early participation and choosing may get more participation.

Another idea would be to have genre nights instead of specific film nights. Each of the following could be a night: a vampire film, zombie, Frankenstein, Giallo, silent, holiday, outer space, Stephen King, Bava, Fulci, werewolf, aliens, killer animals, serial killer, etc.

It should encourage more discussion. For example, on the Frankenstein night we had, it was limited to the classic original. Many people may not have it, may not like older movies, dislike that particular film (blasphemy), or had seen it recently and not want to watch it again. But they may have other Frankenstein-ish films that they want to watch, like the Re-animator films for example. More people would watch a film, so more would post, and therefore more conversations, which was/is the ultimate goal.

that'd be very helpful for the next challenge since I was really trying to go through my (ever growing) 'to watch' pile, of which a few of those titles could have easily fallen into one of those subgenres.

cinemaphile
11-10-08, 11:16 AM

A STELLAR idea!! This might encourage more discussion than a single film (though people could still discuss particular films). Plus, the added benefit is the discussion might give us ideas for additional films to view for the overall challenge.

...or perhaps a "featured" film pick, but then the alternative would be the related genre.
For example, Day 1 could be "Nosferatu"/Vampire films, Day 5: "Night of the Living Dead"/zombie films, etc.
(*genres could always repeat, like if you have both Nosferatu and Dracula on the list)

Trevor
11-10-08, 11:23 AM
A STELLAR idea!! This might encourage more discussion than a single film (though people could still discuss particular films). Plus, the added benefit is the discussion might give us ideas for additional films to view for the overall challenge.

...or perhaps a "featured" film pick, but then the alternative would be the related genre. For example, Day 1 could be "Nosferatu"/Vampire films, Day 5: "Night of the Living Dead"/zombie films
(genres could always repeat, like if you have both Nosferatu and Dracula on the list)
Thanks. I think I mentioned it a couple months back, but it didn't fly.

And yes, I was already working on that "featured"/alternate formatting in my mind. Perhaps we could even have a list of off-the-wall alternates, titles that you may not think of as a "whatever" film, but do meet the criteria. Had a couple specific examples in mind, but they slipped it.

cinemaphile
11-10-08, 11:27 AM
Thanks. I think I mentioned it a couple months back, but it didn't fly.

Sorry, I wasn't around :)

Joined in summer as a Bargain forum watcher, and only recently started joining in the rest of the forums.

Perhaps we could even have a list of off-the-wall alternates, titles that you may not think of as a "whatever" film, but do meet the criteria.
Another opportunity to promote discussion. Once the 31 days list is posted, people could make recommendations and suggestions.

Trevor
11-10-08, 11:34 AM
Sorry, I wasn't around :)

Joined in summer as a Bargain forum watcher, and only recently started joining in the rest of the forums.

Belated welcome, and congratulations. I think you took a much speedier climb into the rest of the forum than most people. A lot of people come here for bargains only, never post or only post ?s about deals, and don't even know we have other discussion forums here. Not that there is anything wrong with all of that, but I think that many people don't know what they're missing from the rest of the forums.

I was a bargain forum only user for most of my first 5 or so years here.

Darth Maher
11-10-08, 12:41 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

I'll second this opinion. Aside from wanting to include TV shows/specials etc (and I'm in the minority anyway so it's a "moo" point), I like the challenge just the way it is.

As for the 31 Films Subset, I would have participated more had I actually been less busy and able to watch more movies (I counted a whopping 13, including the 6 Wild Cards). I was actually one of the first to suggest the 31 Films Subset so I'd hate to see it go away.

Maybe we could take a poll next year (closer to the start of the challenge) to see how many people plan on participating and whether or not it should have it's own thread. I agree with Trevor that if next year's will have the same amount of participation as this year's, then it should just be included in the regular discussion thread.

As for the availability of the films for the subset, there were only about 3 that I was not able to find and had I looked harder, I probably would have. I got most of the one's that I didn't own from the library. Many had to be "inter-libraried" from other Illinois libraries, but the list was posted early enough that I was able to get most of them. Of course, as you can see from my list... I didn't watch many of them. :( But I had all intentions of doing so. I still plan to watch the ones I have never seen eventually. Maybe I'll even dig up the old thread and post my thoughts. :D

Finally, I'm all for the "genre" days as well. This will allow some flexibility and probably expand the discussion a bit.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

macnorton
11-10-08, 12:52 PM
I came in late to the other thread, but it seems like the rules are solid. I wanted to participate, but that is another issue.

I think the 31 days subset was a good idea. Trevor hit it when he said picking films that most people "should" have. I also love the genre idea...I have a ton of stuff like that and I could easily get those as well. I am all for it.

Lastly a question. I read through the rules and something came up...what if you do have a horror movie that got the MST3K treatment and is only available that way, does it count? Or does it fall into the TV realm?

smashthesymbols
11-10-08, 02:01 PM
I like the idea of the 31 days subset. I just didn't have access to a lot of the movies. I was also afraid to go in the thread for the days I had the movie out of fear of seeing spoilers for movies from previous days where discussion was still ongoing.

Numes
11-10-08, 02:27 PM
I like the idea of the 31 days subset. I just didn't have access to a lot of the movies. I was also afraid to go in the thread for the days I had the movie out of fear of seeing spoilers for movies from previous days where discussion was still ongoing.

I think almost everyone did a good job putting the name of the movie they were discussing in the "title" field of their post. All I did was scan that title and if it was a movie I had not seen, I skipped it.

Like you, I only saw a handful of them, but was easily able to differentiate the posts without having to worry about spoilers.

LickTheABCs
11-10-08, 04:42 PM
My problem with the 31 film subset, and I know I'm probably alone with this, but most of the movies I DID end up watching, but spread throughout the month no where near the day it was scheduled.

Like I watched the Exorcist at 10:00 on Halloween night, like usual, instead of earlier in the month.. and I always intended too. Most of the films I watched were pretty much off the cuff. I took 4 DVD's, all of different types, and would pick based on which I haven't seen in a while, which seemed more fun, etc.

On top of that, I didn't feel like going on and on about let's say "The Shining" when everyone else watched it, and wrote their reviews, what would be at that time 4 pages earlier..

Don't know if that made sense, or not.

Numes
11-10-08, 05:40 PM
My problem with the 31 film subset, and I know I'm probably alone with this, but most of the movies I DID end up watching, but spread throughout the month no where near the day it was scheduled.

See, I did the exact opposite. I looked at when they were scheduled and saved them for that day (or close to that day.) That was kind of the point of the subset challenge.

On top of that, I didn't feel like going on and on about let's say "The Shining" when everyone else watched it, and wrote their reviews, what would be at that time 4 pages earlier..

Don't know if that made sense, or not.

It made sense, but I wouldn't worry about posting something about a movie just because it was discussed previously. It's not like you're bumping a thread from 2 years ago.

Darth Maher
11-10-08, 05:45 PM
I think the point of the "subset" was to discuss the movies on a certain day whether you watched that movie on that day or not. So if you watched "The Shining" on 10/1, but we weren't discussing it until 10/15 (just making up dates here), you didn't have to re-watch it. The dates were just to give people time to watch the movies. Like "Shadow of the Vampire" was for 10/2, but I didn't watch it until over a week later. I then chimed in with my opinion at that time. Of course, nobody had any reply so maybe you have a valid point here :)

Trevor
11-10-08, 05:57 PM
Of course, nobody had any reply so maybe you have a valid point here :)
I'm actually still meditating on your words and formulating my reply.

But yeah, the whole point was to try to watch it on that day, or to at least discuss it on that day. More to encourage discussion, but also a sort of shared movie-night experience was the goal.

By the way, anyone else do all 31? I went early on 1 of them (for my checklist race), but otherwise did all 31 on the right days.

clckworang
11-13-08, 12:06 AM
Lastly a question. I read through the rules and something came up...what if you do have a horror movie that got the MST3K treatment and is only available that way, does it count? Or does it fall into the TV realm?

I believe it was determined that MST3K films counted and did not have to be included as wildcards.

OK, the problems I have with some of the suggestions for changing the 31 Films subset.

The genre idea is too similar to the other checklist that many people are already doing. Plus, I don't think it would inspire more discussion. It might even cause less. And I don't think the discussion would be as in depth. With multiple people watching the same movie, there is more room for discussion/debate/interpretation. Otherwise, it would just be people saying, "I watched this and it was good." Or spoiler tags all over the place.

And I guess that dovetails pretty well into my issue with putting 31 days discussion into the general thread. It would discourage some of the in depth discussion we had for fear of spoilers. For the most part, the general thread stuck with very general discussion about some films, some recommendations and talk specifically about the contest.

edwardnortonfan
11-13-08, 08:24 AM
The genre idea is too similar to the other checklist that many people are already doing. Plus, I don't think it would inspire more discussion. It might even cause less. And I don't think the discussion would be as in depth. With multiple people watching the same movie, there is more room for discussion/debate/interpretation. Otherwise, it would just be people saying, "I watched this and it was good." Or spoiler tags all over the place.

And I guess that dovetails pretty well into my issue with putting 31 days discussion into the general thread. It would discourage some of the in depth discussion we had for fear of spoilers. For the most part, the general thread stuck with very general discussion about some films, some recommendations and talk specifically about the contest.

Agreed on both counts.

Personally, I would have liked more discussion on the 31 films, and I'll try to get my cancer in line so I can participate more next year, but I really liked the detailed (albeit limited) discussions we had this year. I think it was worth having the subset for the few really good conversations I had and the cool comments and reviews I got to read from others, and I wouldn't want to muck that up too much next year and miss out on the cool, in-depth discussions we had this year. If we do the 31 days again I think it's wroth trying things the way we had them this year (even though I crapped out on the challenge and won't get to pick a movie next year). :nopanic: The thing is, it takes every new idea some time to take off; even the whole Halloween challenge itself probably took time to evolve and get the kind of participation it has now, so maybe with time the 31 films subset will grow into something that has a lot of participation, but even if it doesn't, I still think the caliber of discussion we had this year was worth the effort. Just in my opinion of course.

SethDLH
11-13-08, 10:30 AM
While I didn't participate this year, I definatly plan to do so next year. Specific genre days would be awesome. It would be like a mini-marathon once or twice a week (depending on how many sub-genres were chosen). And that is always a blast.

cinemaphile
11-14-08, 05:32 AM
OK, the problems I have with some of the suggestions for changing the 31 Films subset.

The genre idea is too similar to the other checklist that many people are already doing...

I couldn't DISagree more.

The 31 films subset is a good idea (especially for those who know we won't come close to 100), but genres add flexibility, rather than a rigid "watch this film whether you like it or not."

and in case you missed it, there would still be a film for each day that you could discuss, BUT... as an alternative, participants could choose instead to go with the genre.

Discussion-wise, it would increase discussion, because in addition to people discussing the featured film, we can get/give recommendations and people could get great ideas for other films to watch for the main challenge.

As for the checklist, just because they both involve genres doesn't mean they can't coexist. That's like saying "why have a 31 horror film challenge? - we already have a horror film challenge!"
Besides, that is just a LIST, this is a DISCUSSION thread.

clckworang
11-14-08, 02:46 PM
^^ Yeah, I read that there would be a suggestion for that genre. But if you have a zombie day, there are so, so many films that you can watch. And the discussion would have to veer into very vague terrritory. You couldn't go into deep plot details because there would have to be the presumption that people haven't seen the film. Hell, there would have to be the presumption that people didn't even see the featured film.

And as for gaining recommendations, that's also how the general thread is used. That's where I went to find out some Hammer films I should watch. That's where people recommended a lot of different movies, like the killer bed one that a lot of people ended up watching.

The genre idea is just too vague. That's why the checklist is just a list and not a discussion thread. There's so many different ways to complete the checklist that it wouldn't lend itself well to discussion, and I think that's the same for a genre a day thing.

Numes
11-14-08, 04:19 PM
^^ Yeah, I read that there would be a suggestion for that genre. But if you have a zombie day, there are so, so many films that you can watch. And the discussion would have to veer into very vague terrritory. You couldn't go into deep plot details because there would have to be the presumption that people haven't seen the film. Hell, there would have to be the presumption that people didn't even see the featured film.

And as for gaining recommendations, that's also how the general thread is used. That's where I went to find out some Hammer films I should watch. That's where people recommended a lot of different movies, like the killer bed one that a lot of people ended up watching.

The genre idea is just too vague. That's why the checklist is just a list and not a discussion thread. There's so many different ways to complete the checklist that it wouldn't lend itself well to discussion, and I think that's the same for a genre a day thing.

I'm 100% with clckworang (and others) on this one. The whole genre idea would defeat the purpose of the 31 specific movies. The zombie genre is the perfect example. There are so many zombie movies, if you want to discuss a random one, that is what the general thread (and the checklist) is for. The 31 movies is so that a more detailed discussion can spawn about a specific movie.

cinemaphile
11-14-08, 09:54 PM
well if it's specific days and not category/featured, then I don't think I'll be participating.

Now please understand, I am NOT trying to be like "do it my way or I'll take my ball and go home!" - I'm just saying that I think I'll personally probably choose to pass on it if it's 31 specific films. You guys have fun, though!

Numes
11-15-08, 02:12 AM
well if it's specific days and not category/featured, then I don't think I'll be participating.

Now please understand, I am NOT trying to be like "do it my way or I'll take my ball and go home!" - I'm just saying that I think I'll personally probably choose to pass on it if it's 31 specific films. You guys have fun, though!

I think it's a bit shortsighted to just arbitrarily not participate. I only viewed 6-8 of the 31 titles this year, but that doesn't mean I'm going to just ignore the sub-challenge all-together. I enjoyed the discussions that ensued for the titles I did watch and I have already put some titles from this years 31 movies on my wishlist for next year. I am anticipating next year that I will make a more concerted effort to purchase/obtain the titles in the 31 movies thread. This year was my first year in this challenge, so I had probably 50+ unwatched titles at my disposal, therefore I wasn't bold enough to seek out new titles until I realized that I enjoy horror movies a lot more than I thought I did. As I said before, if you want to focus on sub-genres, feel free to comment on your sub-genre choice in the general thread, but there is no reason to ignore the 31 movies thread if you have viewed one of the movies.

Trevor
11-15-08, 07:21 AM
Good points Numes. And remember everyone, the main point is discussion. So even if you don't watch that film on that day, but have watched it in the past (or not), you can still join the discussion.

edwardnortonfan
11-15-08, 10:23 AM
Good points Numes. And remember everyone, the main point is discussion. So even if you don't watch that film on that day, but have watched it in the past (or not), you can still join the discussion.

I think that bit me this time around, I kept forgetting we could participate even if we didn't watch the movie this specific year. There were a lot of movies on the list that I've seen, just not during the challenge. But a lot of the time, other people would get there first and I'd be like..."Yeah, what he said" and not have much to add. I liked reading your take on "Horror of Dracula." When I was a kid, it was my favorite vampire movie, so I'm terrified to watch it now and find out it's really horrible when viewed through adult eyes.

edwardnortonfan
11-15-08, 10:27 AM

I don't understand this statement. How can you know in advance you won't want to discuss a particular film in depth on a certain day next year? I mean, if you've seen the film and you have an opinion about it, why not discuss it when there's a day set aside specifically to discuss that particular film? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I just really don't get why it's such a drag to have an opportunity to discuss a specific film in depth. The regular discussion thread can be a good place to go off about how you love zombie movies or slashers or any other subgenre. People did a lot of that this year (which is why we got the discussion thread closed and Chad had to open part 2, we ramble a lot around here). :nopanic: But to have a thread where you take a specific film and go to town talking about that film, I really don't see how that can be a bad thing, even if you don't watch all the films and just chime in on the ones you've seen.

Trevor
11-15-08, 11:52 AM
I liked reading your take on "Horror of Dracula." When I was a kid, it was my favorite vampire movie, so I'm terrified to watch it now and find out it's really horrible when viewed through adult eyes.

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near horrible, I really like it. But those little "errors" just really bothered me. Maybe some days I'd let them slide, heck, we could probably all pick out stupid illogical moments or flaws in almost any film. Perhaps I was overly critical because it had the potential to be so much better. Some really nice performances.

I'm still curious as to others' takes on that.

cinemaphile
11-15-08, 01:34 PM
I don't understand this statement. How can you know in advance you won't want to discuss a particular film in depth on a certain day next year? I mean, if you've seen the film and you have an opinion about it, why not discuss it when there's a day set aside specifically to discuss that particular film?
....I really don't see how that can be a bad thing, even if you don't watch all the films and just chime in on the ones you've seen.

well these last couple posts have clued me in to something I hadnt thought of. I thought we had to rewatch it on that day to participate. If we can simply discuss it if we've EVER seen it, then that's flexible enough for me to jump in here and there, even if I don't technically do the 31-days thing.

Again, I wasn't trying to be a self-centered jerk or anything, I just knew I would not have access to all the films on specific days, as my collection is relatively small, i can't afford blind buys, the rental stores around me suck, and my library's selection is limited. :grumble:

Pizza
11-15-08, 09:00 PM
I greatly enjoyed reading the 31 days subset but I must admit that I didn't watch many of the films on the day they were scheduled. Maybe next year, and I'm just brainstorming here, make it say 10 movies. That might make it easier for people to plan the movies into their schedule and leave a couple of day to debate it. I watched 65 flicks this time out and if I had watched the entire subset list that would have been half my movie watching. Again, I loved reading the comments and made a point to read the list almost daily. Great Job Tremor!

Chad
08-13-09, 06:10 PM
Hey, I've noticed it's relatively quiet for this late in the year! I'm hoping the resounding silence is a sign that people are pretty much content with the way things are and hopefully not because of waning interest. :fc:

I'll obviously post the discussion thread on 9/1 and we'll have the usual month to decide whatever, but there are certain matters I'd like to gauge interest in and possibly even get out of the way now:

-Commentaries. Usually a poll is held and the "With or Without" option always reigns supreme. With last year's very few voted and it's continued to remain unchanged. Would anyone be terribly offended if I didn't bother with one this year?

-31 Days Subset. Trevor, I know you were contemplating not continuing with this -- current thoughts?

Initially I wasn't big on having a separate thread, but I eventually warmed up to the idea and really enjoyed reading it, despite not participating much in the conversation itself. I guess, like others, I thought some of the choices were a little too much on the "mainstream" side. Anyway, whatever decision is made I'd like to see this continued regardless of whether or not there's a separate thread (separate is my preference), and even if that means containing it within the discussion thread I think it'll still garner enough interest. Besides, it's a blast coming up with the list and anything that helps assist with the decision of what to watch is alright in my book. :up: My two cents.

Trevor
08-13-09, 06:39 PM
Getting antsy Chad?

Not a lot of time right now, but quickly, yep, I'm game and think with fine tuning the subset is a great idea. I'm thinking maybe just two films as set in stone, on the 13th and 31st, but then maybe allowing the other 29 to be chosen by vote, or the top 29 finishers of last year, or something.

I was thinking that the more inclusive the better has worked well on other challenges, and maybe arguing for commentaries and even TV (gasp!). But the more I think about it, I like the purity of the Horror Challenge being about watching scary movies straight up, and would even be fine with losing the wild cards (gasp). But then, I'm easily swayed and could change my mind about anything besides my sexuality and my faith.

Chad
08-13-09, 07:03 PM
Giles? Porn! What?!

Getting antsy Chad?

I tend to get a little paranoid when things get quiet for too long. http://www.goldenweb.it/software/immagini/icone/smilies/smileys/smiley%20-%20paranoid.bmp

Not a lot of time right now, but quickly, yep, I'm game and think with fine tuning the subset is a great idea. I'm thinking maybe just two films as set in stone, on the 13th and 31st, but then maybe allowing the other 29 to be chosen by vote, or the top 29 finishers of last year, or something.

I was thinking that the more inclusive the better has worked well on other challenges, and maybe arguing for commentaries and even TV (gasp!). But the more I think about it, I like the purity of the Horror Challenge being about watching scary movies straight up, and would even be fine with losing the wild cards (gasp). But then, I'm easily swayed and could change my mind about anything besides my sexuality and my faith.

Sounds good. And you've just reminded me of another topic that eventually needs to be dealt with. Much later.

Chad
08-13-09, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah, here's the obligatory sneak peak of TCM's qualifying titles for those who prefer to plan their schedule in advance:

ALL TIMES EASTERN

October 3
6:00 AM - White Zombie (1932) BW-67 mins
7:30 AM - I Walked With A Zombie (1943) BW-69 mins

October 4
7:45 AM - Mad Love (1935) BW-68 mins

October 8
3:30 AM - Black Moon (1934) BW-69 mins

October 9
2:15 AM - Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn (1987) C-84 mins
3:45 AM - Horror House (1969) C-92 mins

October 10
6:00 AM - Tales Of Terror (1962) BW-89 mins
7:30 AM - The Pit And The Pendulum (1961) C-80 mins

October 11
6:30 AM - The Body Snatcher (1945) BW-78 mins
7:45 AM - Isle Of The Dead (1945) BW-72 mins

October 15
5:00 AM - Son Of Kong (1933) BW-70 mins
1:00 PM - I Married A Monster From Outer Space (1958) BW-78 mins
2:30 PM - The War of the Worlds (1953) C-85 mins

October 16
9:00 AM - The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) BW-110 mins
12:30 AM - The Lodger (1944) BW-84 mins
2:00 AM - Videodrome (1982) C-88 mins

October 17
6:00 AM - Freaks (1932) BW-62 mins
7:30 AM - The Devil Doll (1936) BW-78 mins
4:30 PM - 20 Million Miles To Earth (1957) BW-83 mins

October 18
4:30 AM - The Ghost Ship (1943) BW-69 mins
6:00 AM - The Walking Dead (1936) BW-65 mins
7:30 AM - Bedlam (1946) BW-79 mins
12:00 AM - The Phantom of the Opera (1925) BW-90 mins
2:00 AM - Vampyr - Der Traum des Allan Grey (1932) BW-72 mins
3:30 AM - The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) C-108 mins

October 20
8:00 PM - Mr. Sardonicus (1961) BW-90 mins
9:45 PM - Strait-Jacket (1964) BW-93 mins
11:30 PM - The Tingler (1959) BW-82 mins
1:00 AM - 13 Ghosts (1960) BW-82 mins
2:30 AM - The Old Dark House (1963) BW-86 mins
4:00 AM - The Old Dark House (1932) BW-72 mins

October 23
10:00 PM - Dragonwyck (1946) BW-103 mins

October 24
6:00 AM - The Corpse Vanishes (1942) BW-63 mins
7:30 AM - Mark Of The Vampire (1935) BW-61 mins
9:30 AM - The Twonky (1953) BW-73 mins
11:00 AM - Son Of Kong (1933) BW-70 mins
2:15 PM - Poltergeist (1982) C-115 mins
4:15 PM - The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1959) C-87 mins

October 25
6:00 AM - Doctor X (1932) C-76 mins
7:30 AM - The Mystery Of The Wax Museum (1933) C-77 mins
8:00 PM - The Blob (1958) C-82 mins
9:30 PM - Die, Monster, Die! (1965) C-79 mins
12:30 AM - Nosferatu (1922) BW-89 mins
2:15 AM - Diabolique (1955) BW-116 mins

October 27
8:00 PM - Poltergeist (1982) C-115 mins
10:00 PM - The Power (1968) C-109 mins
12:00 PM - The Haunting (1963) BW-112 mins
2:00 AM - Village Of The Damned (1960) BW-77 mins

October 30
7:15 AM - The Mask Of Fu Manchu (1932) BW-68 mins
8:30 AM - The Ghoul (1933) BW-81 mins
10:00 AM - The Black Room (1935) BW-68 mins
11:15 AM - The Walking Dead (1936) BW-65 mins
12:30 PM - The Man They Could Not Hang (1939) BW-70 mins
1:45 PM - The Man With Nine Lives (1940) BW-74 mins
3:00 PM - Before I Hang (1940) BW-62 mins
4:15 PM - The Ape (1940) BW-62 mins
5:30 PM - The Devil Commands (1941) BW-64 mins
6:45 PM - Isle Of The Dead (1945) BW-72 mins
12:00 AM - Psycho (1960) BW-109 mins
2:00 AM - Zaat (1972) C-100 mins
3:45 AM - Swamp Thing (1982) C-90 mins

October 31
6:00 AM - The Woman In White (1948) BW-109 mins
8:00 AM - Dead of Night (1945) BW-103 mins
10:00 AM - The Haunting (1963) BW-112 mins
12:00 PM - The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) C-95 mins
1:45 PM - Diary of a Madman (1963) C-97 mins
5:00 PM - Cat People (1942) BW-73 mins
6:30 PM - The Curse of the Cat People (1944) BW-70 mins
8:00 PM - Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1941) BW-113 mins
10:00 PM - Murders in the Zoo (1933) BW-66 mins
11:15 PM - The Body Snatcher (1945) BW-78 mins
12:45 AM - Circus of Horrors (1960) C-87 mins
2:00 AM - Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1932) BW-96 mins
3:45 AM - The Son of Dr. Jekyll (1951) BW-78 mins

Not too shabby. As usual, even though it was quadruple-checked there's always the possibility something was overlooked.

Trevor
08-13-09, 07:14 PM
^^ Hmmm. Suspense!

08-13-09, 07:17 PM
Fox Movie channel was also a good one to check during October.

Dimension X
08-13-09, 07:37 PM
1:45 PM - Diary of a Madman (1963) C-97 mins :banana:

SanityRemoved
08-13-09, 08:07 PM
I prefer more inclusive rules. Commentaries, TV, documentaries etc. if it's horror it's fine, besides, Charlie Brown gets a free ride every year. October only comes once a year and I actually try to stay away from horror movies that I have previously viewed for the remainder of the year. So that gives me(and others) thirty days to knock it all out. I value the Challenge for the introduction to horror films that I haven't seen. I would like to see a thumbs up/down or a plus(+)/minus(-) rating on films watched. Something to help identify worthwhile flicks.

Giles
08-13-09, 10:26 PM
Giles? Porn! What?!.

you weren't supposed to see that comment

:D

Trevor
08-13-09, 10:46 PM
you weren't supposed to see that comment

:D

I was more surprised to see that he was still on the newbie page settings.

JOE29
08-13-09, 10:47 PM

I would like this more. It gives you more options on a movie to watch that would be acceptable in the forum on any given day.

caligulathegod
08-14-09, 03:51 AM
I prefer the purity of this challenge. It's about Horror Movies, my first love, and not a bunch of other stuff. Sci-Fi and Holiday needs TV, but Horror doesn't Wild Cards are there for the half dozen exceptions, like Charlie Brown. I don't want to vote on the commentaries issue, either, as that has been played out and it's a dead issue. The people have spoken and it's easier to follow my own conscience and abstain than it is to convince everyone else to follow my lead. I didn't even ban commentaries on my own challenge (although with a tweak, since I consider it an intrinsic part of the b-movie challenge to actually subject yourself to the awfulness). So please consider the commentary issue settled.

I love Trevor's idea of a genre night rather than a specific movie night. A genre night allows more interactivity and creativity on the participant's part while maintaining individuality.

MGMhd has been showing some good high def horror movies. I just watched the Monster that Challenged the World and Blood On Satan's Claw and taped It the Terror From Beyond Space. Unfortunately, they only have their schedule 2 weeks in advance.

Trevor
08-14-09, 10:42 AM
I would like this more. It gives you more options on a movie to watch that would be acceptable in the forum on any given day.

I love Trevor's idea of a genre night rather than a specific movie night. A genre night allows more interactivity and creativity on the participant's part while maintaining individuality.
First, I'm not sure it was originally my idea. Like most of the things that are "mine" here (the checklists, the exclusives threads, the 31 films in 31 days), I think I mainly just adapt and champion other's ideas. I had an original idea once, but that bastard Gore took credit for this internets thing.

And actually, the more I think about the "genre night" possibility, the more I'm not so sure. One nice thing about the specific film discussion was that we didn't need to worry about spoilers. If you were in that thread, you knew that we were planning to discuss movie x in detail. But with a genre night, there may be 30 different movies being discussed. What are the chances that I've seen even half the films being discussed? Just thinking out loud, maybe I'm exaggerating the possible spoiler problems.

Also, we had very limited discussion last year as it was, with 31 specific films. If people were free to choose any film from a genre, I'm thinking the thread would be full of people talking about what they watched, and very little back and forth discourse.

Related to this, one thing I plan on changing for the 31 Film subset was to keep it's master thread for general talk of the idea and the schedule, but move specific film discussion to separate threads (with post bump reminders in the main threads, with direct links). That way, people who only watch selected films in the list (did anyone besides me watch all 31?) don't have to worry about spoilers. This was brought up as a complaint by some iirc. It will also make things much more organized, and not have the clutter of several movies being discussed simultaneously.

Trevor
08-14-09, 12:14 PM
We have a little conversation going on in the Challenge Compendium thread bringing up the matter of lists threads.

This may sound radical, but I think list threads are largely useless and need to be re-tooled.

As they stand, I think they generate very little discussion (and discussion is the whole point of us being on DVDTalk, right?). Sure, a few of read other's lists and quite enjoy them, and a couple of us even quote/mention someone's list items and move it to the main discussion thread. But list threads are mainly a black hole, where people post their personal lists but don't interact with others at all.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I bet we could do something to help the lists generate more discussion.

Jerry's idea is a separate subforum with each participant having an individual thread. Not as hard to peruse as you may think, as there is a next thread button at the bottom of each thread, and perusing everyone's list would only take a few seconds longer than what we have now. You'd just have to get used to a new idea.

Another option is to keep the lists in the discussion thread. Or break your list up into weekly update posts and not just keep it one big post that nobody except you looks at.

So again, might seem radical, but relax and think about it. Our current system is flawed imo.

smashthesymbols
08-14-09, 02:40 PM
Related to this, one thing I plan on changing for the 31 Film subset was to keep it's master thread for general talk of the idea and the schedule, but move specific film discussion to separate threads (with post bump reminders in the main threads, with direct links). That way, people who only watch selected films in the list (did anyone besides me watch all 31?) don't have to worry about spoilers. This was brought up as a complaint by some iirc. It will also make things much more organized, and not have the clutter of several movies being discussed simultaneously.
I think I may have been one that brought up the spoiler issue with the 31 Films subset. I chose not to participate last year because there were too many movies on the list I hadn't seen. I was worried that I may watch the movie on the 15th and come into the thread to discuss it, but the movie from the 14th I had never seen was still being discussed and I'd end up having it spoiled. A master thread for general discussion and a separate daily thread for each movie would work better. Yet another reason we need a subforum devoted to challenges.

As for the list thread, I have no suggestions. I do vote strongly against putting it in the discussion thread though, that would be way too cluttered. Everyone having their own thread may help, but I doubt it. I'm actually not convinced lists will ever generate discussion unless a lot more people start including comments and mini reviews in their list. I think we're better off leaving the list thread how it is and focus more on the 31 Films subset and any other subsets we can think of for discussion.

08-14-09, 03:32 PM
I'm actually not convinced lists will ever generate discussion unless a lot more people start including comments and mini reviews in their list.

That's about what I said in the challenge thread. I don't even look at lists unless they have reviews. Even then I don't read them all.

advdfreak
08-14-09, 06:21 PM
I have never used the checklist in any challenge that I have participated in, but I would like it if you could incorporate it in the 31 Film subset in some way. For example, watch an R-rated film on the 5th, watch a vampire movie on the 20th, watch an George A. Romero movie on the 25th, etc. I would be more inclined to participate on something like this and it would be interesting to see what some of people's choices would be with the checklist.

Trevor
08-14-09, 06:42 PM
^ I'll admit that's a cool idea, but completely opposed to everything I typed a couple hours ago. :) Can we do both?

Darth Maher
08-17-09, 11:14 PM
I'm glad I stumbled onto this resurrected thread...

It reminds me that I need to make room on my DVR. :D

As of right now, I am unemployed. If my status is unchanged in October, I might actually watch a decent amount of stuff. Unemployment has to have some silver lining, right. However, to cut daycare costs, the kids are home with me all but 2 days a week. But that still leaves... 2 full days a week!

08-17-09, 11:45 PM
I got really lucky(Oregon's unemployment just dropped from 12% to 11.9%) and landed a job after a little over a month back at the same place I was before but this time I'm permanent. The employment agency is so backed up over here that I didn't get unemployment money until right after I landed a job.

The downside is that I am the parking department at a university. I don't give out tickets but they all have my number on them. I trained last week and this is my first day of doing it by myself.

There's no system for archiving records, the guy I replaced quit, the two others that know anything are on vacation all this week, an email was sent out about buying permits online today before the online system was complete. I also got a headache but the person before me left a couple packets of motrin.

The only thing missing today was people screaming at me about being innocent but I'm sure that'll come soon.

At least since there's no real system, other than entering permit purchases, I get to do things however I want. You know, as long as I survive and make it that far.

Right now my first movie to watch will be The Car. Now I'll have another reason the cheer for it, the first being because it takes place in Utah and runs them over.

Chad
08-19-09, 08:48 PM
Delayed response Wednesday:

Fox Movie channel was also a good one to check during October.

FYI: I started including the link to FMC's schedule in the, well, links section of the discussion thread last year. Or, as I like to call them, The links that time forgot. :lol:

I would like to see a thumbs up/down or a plus(+)/minus(-) rating on films watched. Something to help identify worthwhile flicks.

Again, gotta refer to that ever-popular links section where reviews of any kind are encouraged: Give reviews. Even if it's just a mini-review, a simple :up: / :down: or one word description. That section is probably due for an overhaul.

I prefer the purity of this challenge. It's about Horror Movies, my first love, and not a bunch of other stuff. Sci-Fi and Holiday needs TV, but Horror doesn't Wild Cards are there for the half dozen exceptions, like Charlie Brown.

My original intention was to keep this strictly about horror films, but somewhere along the way it went a little left of center. But hey, it's not as if anyone has a gun held to their heads being forced to listen to directors explaining their films or watch cartoon dogs pretending to be WWI Flying Aces ...hope not anyway. I've always viewed A) choice as a good thing and B) fun as the #1 priority. You might even say I'm the Spuds McKenzie of challenges. Although that's probably a bad example because he didn't exactly advocate having a choice when it came to beer.

Another option is to keep the lists in the discussion thread.

Let's review why that's previously been hailed as the Worst. Idea. Ever. and should never, ever be mentioned again:

The poor bastard who tabulates the final results. :wave:

Or break your list up into weekly update posts and not just keep it one big post that nobody except you looks at.

Good luck with that one. If you remember, I did exactly that and was quite insistent on encouraging others to do the same. Yeah, it didn't go over so well and I stopped once the forum software was updated to allow for unlimited length. And if truth be told, it's not entirely worth the time and effort exerted if your list has some heavy formatting.

I was even gonna suggest doing the Giles thing from the "What Are You Watching" thread and that's deleting your old thread and copying/pasting it into a new post after each update. Unfortunately that defeats the purpose of having the links to all the lists I provide in the first post and requires constant updating of your sig link. There's just no perfect solution.

Darth Maher
08-20-09, 03:39 PM
Would anybody object to me not numbering my list?

I watch all kinds of different Halloween-related programming (in addition to the "pure" horror movies that count) in October and I post my lists on other forums, blogs, Facebook/MySpace updates, etc... and to change up the numbering just for this challenge is a little time consuming. And let's face it, I have never even made it to 31 anyway so it's not like I'm in the running for "most watched" or anything.

Also, I was looking at last year's lists... and I LOVE all the graphics at the top of people's lists. So festive! Can't wait to see what people come up with this year.!

Trevor
08-20-09, 03:51 PM
Let's review why that's previously been hailed as the Worst. Idea. Ever. and should never, ever be mentioned again:

The poor bastard who tabulates the final results. :wave:

Is that the only negative? Most of the lists would be in the first few pages of the thread, and I'd gladly volunteer to do the tabulating for you.

But maybe most don't see the need to encourage more discussion. It just seems that even posting a list is largely useless.

Chad
08-20-09, 06:31 PM
Would anybody object to me not numbering my list?

Sorry man, that's the one rule I have to strictly enforce. If you get a pass then whose to say the guy with a tally of 250 and an additional 100 non-qualifying titles wouldn't ask for the same?

Is that the only negative? Most of the lists would be in the first few pages of the thread, and I'd gladly volunteer to do the tabulating for you.

No, that was just my big fat FAIL at attempting humor. I appreciate the offer, though. :)

But maybe most don't see the need to encourage more discussion. It just seems that even posting a list is largely useless.

I understand what you're getting at, but people are gonna do what they're gonna do regardless of what changes are made. Some are just more into knocking off their to watch piles than the discussion/reviews aspect and that's evident in all of the challenges. And it's not as if we're really lacking in the discussion department to begin with.

To me, having the separate thread keeps everything better organized and easier to sort through. I can see how having to post discussion in another thread does require a little more effort, but it still beats the pain in the ass of having to sort through 35 pages to find one particular list, IMO. Besides we all know I'm lax on the no discussion rule and there's always a little that creeps into the lists thread anyway.

I do believe the next poll has just revealed itself...

Trevor
08-30-09, 08:21 PM
I do believe the next poll has just revealed itself...
We're patiently waiting. Or not I guess.

Chad
08-30-09, 11:43 PM
The plan is to wait until the discussion thread is open for business and gauge interest in there before starting any standalone polls.

08-31-09, 04:23 PM
I still have a stack of movies I had in my queue to watch and those I did watch for last year, sitting on the table next to my bed.

Numes
08-31-09, 04:29 PM
I put together my list of movies for October this weekend. I noticed I never ordered Halloween 6 and H20 after the challenge last year, so I found some anamorphic releases of those and they should be here in plenty of time. I have never seen any of the Halloween movies(!) so that will probably be my first set of movies I view.

Trevor
08-31-09, 04:31 PM
I still have a stack of movies I had in my queue to watch and those I did watch for last year, sitting on the table next to my bed.
Similar here. I cleared a shelf of my bookcase for horror titles to watch, only watched half of them, and the other half are still sitting there waiting for October. I almost put them back in their regular spots last weekend, but figured why bother at this point.

Trevor
08-31-09, 04:34 PM
I put together my list of movies for October this weekend. I noticed I never ordered Halloween 6 and H20 after the challenge last year, so I found some anamorphic releases of those and they should be here in plenty of time. I have never seen any of the Halloween movies(!) so that will probably be my first set of movies I view.

What? Any of them? The original is a classic, the sequel is darn good, but all the rest aren't worth owning, imo. And the Zombie remake is one of the biggest piles of poo that Hollywood has ever produced. Of course, I own them all and watch them all pretty much every October.

Numes
08-31-09, 06:28 PM
What? Any of them? The original is a classic, the sequel is darn good, but all the rest aren't worth owning, imo. And the Zombie remake is one of the biggest piles of poo that Hollywood has ever produced. Of course, I own them all and watch them all pretty much every October.

Amazingly enough, I have not seen any of them. I'm kind of a completest when it comes to sequels, especially if there is a challenge to go along with them, so I'm looking forward to all of them even if some of them are terrible. Unless I saw them as a kid, I never bothered getting them on DVD because I wasn't really into collecting horror movies that I had never seen before. However, with all the fun I had last October, I am enjoying them more than ever.

I also have all 8(?) Hellraiser movies and I have never seen any of them before. I have all 5 Prophecy movies too, for which I have only seen the first one (which I love.)

I'm trying to figure out when to watch Death Bed - The Bed That Eats. One of the participants last year suggested it and I bought it for this year's challenge. While I'm mentioning that, I believe he said to NOT watch the director's intro if you haven't seen the movie before.

smashthesymbols
08-31-09, 06:52 PM
I'm trying to figure out when to watch Death Bed - The Bed That Eats. One of the participants last year suggested it and I bought it for this year's challenge. While I'm mentioning that, I believe he said to NOT watch the director's intro if you haven't seen the movie before.
I've been meaning to pick that up for the challenge. There was a lot of talk about it last year and now I have to see it.

I haven't started planning much yet. I've got a few ideas in mind though. All three I Am Legend adaptations in a single day might be interesting. I definitely want to watch as many of Romero's Dead movies as I can get through since I've never seen any of them. Otherwise I'll probably just work on my unwatched list while mixing in a few classics.