Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big release $ comparisons and store exclusives and freebies - 11/09/08 to 11/15/08

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big release $ comparisons and store exclusives and freebies - 11/09/08 to 11/15/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 08:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Big release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 11/09/08 to 11/15/08

Big Release Comparisons

Kung Fu Panda
BB $16 with free figurine and $4 off AA battery 8 pack
CC $15 with free sticker sheet and 25 free Snapfish prints
T $16
WM $

Hellboy II: The Golden Army
BB $20 1 disc, $23 3 disc, $40 CE (2 for $30 and 4 for $50 deal with The Strangers, Incredible Hulk, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall)
CC $16 1 disc, $23 3 disc (w/ exclusive CD gamecard)
T $17 1 disc (w/ exclusive comic), $23 3 disc
WM

Star Wars: The Clone Wars
BB $16 1 disc, $23 2 disc (exclusive steelbook)
CC $18 1 disc, $23 2 disc
T $17 1 disc, $23 2 disc (w/ exclusive Red Clone packaging and “Shipyards Of Doom” 96 page graphic novel)
WM

These weekly threads are for the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Wednesday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; We'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
tons of free movie deals at various retailers, see the above linked thread for full details

Best Buy -
Kung Fu Panda - figurine w/ any version and $4 off AA battery 8 pack
rumored WWE exclusives
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - steelbook
a dozen or so $5.99 Disney titles - free Bolt Sneak Peek DVD
Sukiyaki Western Django - same movie packaged in 3 different steelbooks with 3 different bonus DVDs, $15 each

Target -
Hellboy II: The Golden Army - comic
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - exclusive Red Clone packaging and “Shipyards Of Doom” 96 page graphic novel

Circuit City -
Kung Fu Panda - sticker sheet and 25 free Snapfish prints
Hellboy II: The Golden Army - exclusive CD gamecard

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
Hellboy 1 disc (FS only?) - belt buckle
Kung Fu Panda - Po plush beanie baby
This Christmas - bundled with soundtrack sampler CD for $20
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - bundled with The Battle Begins picture book for $20

K-Mart/Sears -
Kung Fu Panda - only $13.99 when you also buy Shrek the Halls
free $7.50 movie ticket for Bolt when you buy any of 7 different Disney titles
Barbie in a Christmas Carol - holiday mittens
The Original Christmas Classics multipack - free Lipton ice tea 12 pack
any single disc Original Christmas Classic - free Aquafina Flavor Splash 6 pack

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
WWE Viva La Raza - exclusive 4th disc that consist of the Smackdown tribute to Eddie Guerrero
I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Barnes and Noble -
I searched and found nothing new

Borders -
Kung Fu Panda - 100 piece jigsaw puzzle packaged on back

Costco -
not sure if these are Costco exclusive, but they have large gift sets containing the DVD set, CD soundtrack, and song book or book for South Pacific, The Sound of Music, and at least one other similar musical

GameStop / MovieStop -
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 - WWE cooler and Blu Ray demo
I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster -

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -

The Disney Store - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives -
Futureshop
* Hellboy II - Hellboy Animated Comic Book: The Black Book (with any version of Hellboy II)

WalMart Canada
* Hellboy II - 1 disc w/ belt buckle

Last edited by Trevor; 03-16-09 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-10-08, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to some reports, Best Buy has an exclusive Eddie Guerrero 7 disc Tin set, which includes The Eddie Guerrero Story, Now Way Out 2004 and Viva La Raza. There is also a rumor that the Best Buy is also carrying t a Viva La Raza set with an exclusive 4th disc that has the WWE RAW Tribute to Eddie Guerrero

FYE has WWE Viva La Raza with an Exclusive 4th disc that consist of the Smackdown tribute to Eddie Guerrero.

Gamestop has WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 with an exclusive WWE cooler and Blu Ray demo.
Old 11-10-08, 02:46 PM

Updates made, thanks.
Old 11-10-08, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the difference between the 2 disc and 3 disc Hellboy sets? I was under the impression it was 1 disc and 3 disc sets.
Old 11-10-08, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
What's the difference between the 2 disc and 3 disc Hellboy sets?
1 disc.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. You're probably right. I cut and pasted from somewhere, or just messed up. It does look like it is either 1 disc or 3. Or maybe 4 at CC.
Old 11-10-08, 07:20 PM

Oh, ok. I actually looked into it a little more and saw that Amazon is selling the 3-disc Hellboy II for $17.99 right now, so I just ordered it there and will wait a few more days for it rather than paying an extra $5 to get it tomorrow.
Old 11-10-08, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
Oh, ok. I actually looked into it a little more and saw that Amazon is selling the 3-disc Hellboy II for $17.99 right now, so I just ordered it there and will wait a few more days for it rather than paying an extra $5 to get it tomorrow.
Online places like Amazon or DD are always going to be cheaper. This thread is for B&M shoppers looking for the best deals and exclusives.
Old 11-10-08, 09:00 PM

Walmart.com is offering Hellboy II (1 disc) with exclusive BPRD belt buckles.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....y=0&Find=Find
Old 11-10-08, 09:05 PM

Futureshop
* Hellboy II - Hellboy Animated Comic Book: The Black Book (with any version of Hellboy II)

WalMart Canada
* Hellboy II - 1 disc w/ belt buckle

Last edited by johnsun; 11-10-08 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-10-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WM has a Clone Wars picture book called The Battle Begins (see pic: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detai...d=false&type=0) but I'm sure it will be packaged with the 1-disc barebones edition and not the 2-disc SE)
Old 11-11-08, 10:18 AM

Walmart has a free plush with Kung-Fu Panda.

Also, Best Buy has an exclusive Police concert (2 DVD & 2 CD set), and although they're not new releases, they've also got about 8 of the older Columbia Tri-Star 'season 1' TV shows exclusively repackaged in collectible lunch boxes for $20.00 each. Fantasy Island, Diff'rent Strokes, Facts Of Life, Silver Spoons, Good Times, and a few others.
Old 11-11-08, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Online places like Amazon or DD are always going to be cheaper. This thread is for B&M shoppers looking for the best deals and exclusives.
To the contrary, every 2 (or "3") disc special edition I've bought lately like Iron Man or the Incredible Hulk has been just about the same price online as it has in stores, so I've just bought them in store to watch them asap. In this case, I think it's worth noting that you can save a lot between the prices in case anyone doesn't realize that.
Old 11-11-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
Best Buy has a special 100th episode South Park lithograph with the purchase of season 6. It was quite a nice looking lithograph. Not like the Iron Man one from a little bit ago.
Old 11-11-08, 07:28 PM

10 chains hit, lots of updates made.
Old 11-11-08, 10:41 PM

The 2-disk copy of 'Clone Wars' I picked up at my local BB had a lenticular cover, not a steelbook. (I prefer the lenticular anyway)
Old 11-11-08, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
Best Buy has a special 100th episode South Park lithograph with the purchase of season 6. It was quite a nice looking lithograph. Not like the Iron Man one from a little bit ago.
Are you sure that's not the lithograph for the Family Guy Volume Six set that came out recently?
Was anybody able to get the Hellboy II 3-disc DVD with the little bonus interactive game card thing at CC? The one I went to said that there was some sort of problem where the CC stores havent received Hellboy yet. I'm curious about what one of those interactive game cards has on it.
Old 11-12-08, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by thethedew
The 2-disk copy of 'Clone Wars' I picked up at my local BB had a lenticular cover, not a steelbook. (I prefer the lenticular anyway)
All stores have the lenticular, BB has the steelbook in addition to that.
Originally Posted by Liontamer
Are you sure that's not the lithograph for the Family Guy Volume Six set that came out recently?
Was anybody able to get the Hellboy II 3-disc DVD with the little bonus interactive game card thing at CC? The one I went to said that there was some sort of problem where the CC stores havent received Hellboy yet. I'm curious about what one of those interactive game cards has on it.
Pretty sure they meant Family Guy, and that was listed back when it came out.

My local CC received no copies of Hellboy 2 either. May check tonight.
Old 11-12-08, 11:12 AM

Was the Target book the digest version of the animed Hellboy Black Wedding book? The same one that Futureshop go:

Later
Old 11-12-08, 01:24 PM

Does anybody have pics of the 3-disc Hellboy II? I know the outer slip cover is the 3D lenticular shot of Hellboy's face but does anyone know what the actual DVD case cover looks like...is it the same as the 1-disc version?

Last edited by user22; 11-12-08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by user22
Does anybody have pics of the Target 3-disc Hellboy II? I know the outer slip cover is the 3D lenticular shot of Hellboy's face but does anyone know what the actual DVD case cover looks like...is it the same as the 1-disc version?
Target 3 disc is the same as the 3 disc everywhere else.
Old 11-12-08, 01:53 PM

Target 3 disc is the same as the 3 disc everywhere else.
I know, I edited my post, scratch the Target. I still would like to know what the case art looks like under the slip cover if anyone knows or has pics.
Old 11-12-08, 02:01 PM

Don't know, I'm sure someone here has it. This title screams $10 or less price within six months, so I'm waiting to buy it. The 3 (4?) disc Hellboy 1 set has been $5 multiple times.
Old 11-12-08, 03:27 PM

I saw the Clone Wars Steelbook at Best Buy. It looks like the 2-Disc band at the top is part of the cardboard that comes off. Can anyone post pictures of the steelbook unsealed (and possibly the inside and back too)?
Old 11-12-08, 06:54 PM

I acknowledge that the 'Clone Wars' lenticular cover isn't an *exclusive*, but a local Barnes & Noble did have a 2-disk CW that wasn't lenticular. YMMV, so thanks for the opportunity to clarify, Trevor!
Old 11-12-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
Kung Fu Panda (FS only?) - Po plush
It's not FS only and the plush toy is a Beanie Baby.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.