Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where the heck are the war movies?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a bunch have been released and I am very psyched about the Band of Brothers set. I was just looking through my collection and yes they've released Flags of Our Fathers, Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor (PG13 only), Sand Pebbles, We Were Soldiers, and a bunch of others.

But I am still waiting for movies like Gettysburg, Memphis Belle and Midway. These have never even had an SE release. They're still the first generation, non-anamorphic, flipper discs.

I'd love to upgrade Big Red 1, Enemy at the Gates, Platoon, Tora Tora Tora and get the R rated version of Pearl Harbor.

Saving Private Ryan can't come out soon enough. Can you imagine the landing scene in lossless? Nothing works out an audio system like a war movie. Is there still a big market for that genre?
Old 11-06-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The titles from Fox last year were part of a Father's Day tie-in, and they've done Memorial Day tie-ins for DVD in the past. Maybe next year around that time they'll release more. I'm hoping they can reissue Patton sans DNR at some point.

Platoon might be a candidate, since Oliver Stone seems to be the leading director on Blu-ray so far. 9 of his movies will be out by the end of January.

I wouldn't count on those early titles soon, since they may not have good HD masters available. It would probably depend on whether they want to issue new SEs.
Old 11-06-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
The Blu-ray of Pearl Harbor is pretty good, but it's not the theatrical cut you mentioned. I believe there's only 20 seconds of additional footage in the Director's Cut, so it's not a big deal. The real downer is the utter lack of extras found on earlier editions.

Don't hold your breath on Saving Private Ryan. It's a Spielberg pic, and he's been pretty stingy about allowing his legacy films to be released on Blu. Only Close Encounters has made it so far, and I think it's because Sony had the distribution rights, as opposed to Spielberg himself, who retains control on most of his catalog.
Old 11-07-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I'd love to see Memphis Belle on blu.
Old 11-07-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apocalypse Now is planned for 2009.
Old 11-07-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up A Bridge Too Far when that was released. That was another 1st generation piece of crap. I already have good SE's of Black Hawk Down, Platoon, Longest Day, and Glory so those are long term upgrades. Most of the others at least are anamorphic and DD 5.1 so they'll hold me over. War movies have always been a favorite so I'm anxiously waiting for the upgrades.

Saving Private Ryan I've already triple dipped. Bought the original DD release, then the DTS, then upgraded to the box set not realizing it didn't have DTS. If I find a used DTS for cheap I'll probably grab it until the BD is released.

For Pearl Harbor, if it's only 9 seconds it's the most effective 9 seconds I've seen. Really amps up the battle scene. I have the 4 disc set so I can wait for a more complete BD release.
Old 11-07-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm hoping they can reissue Patton sans DNR at some point.
I wouldn't hold your breath. While Fox has acknowledged some of the complaints about DNR on that disc, they are adamant that they're happy with the transfer.
Old 11-07-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ytrez
I'd love to see Memphis Belle on blu.
+1

This film has been given shoddy treatment thus far, with only a fuzzy, non-anamorphic transfer making it to DVD.
Old 11-07-08, 10:43 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimRochester
I already have good SE's of Black Hawk Down, Platoon, Longest Day...
The Longest Day is kind of an odd one on Blu-ray. On the one hand, it had lots of DNR so that detail is lost similar to Patton. On the other hand, in most aspects it is far superior to the super softness of the SE DVD. The only thing I liked about the SE DVD compared to the original DVD release was that you could see the subtitles when the movie was in the proper aspect ratio. On the original non-anamorphic release you lost part of the subtitles when you used the full width of your screen in the proper AR. There are a few scenes in the Blu-ray that look kind of strange because it is so obvious they are standing in front of a screen and not the real scenery, and the smoothing of skin detail due to DNR is more troublesome to some people than others, but much of it is a great improvement. It definitely could of been better though. Seems like we never get it all with this movie.
Old 11-07-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Pearl Harbor DC is more than just a few seconds of footage....still waiting for it. Glory's another one I'd really like... thought we'd have it by now esp since it's a Sony title.
Old 11-07-08, 11:52 AM

Would also love to see Blu-Rays of Glory and SPR, as well as Last of the Mohicans. We've had some pretty good offerings with Flags/Iwo, Master & Commander (video certainly could have been better though), and The Patriot amongst others. Here's to hoping.
Old 11-07-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Pearl Harbor DC is more than just a few seconds of footage....still waiting for it.....
You are correct, it is 73 seconds longer:

Theatrical Cut: 183:05 (PG-13)
Director's Cut: 184:18 (R)

For my money, nothing beats the 4-disc Vista Series set with the DC, tons of extras, and a very cool collector's presentation. I'll stick with it until a BD comes out that can match it.
Old 11-07-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
Would also love to see Blu-Rays of Glory and SPR, as well as Last of the Mohicans. We've had some pretty good offerings with Flags/Iwo, Master & Commander (video certainly could have been better though), and The Patriot amongst others. Here's to hoping.
Last of the Mohicans would be great. My last DVD had an extended version that was very choppy in the scene changes.

With limited funds these days, I'm reluctant to upgrade a decent DVD issue. Any of those original issue Sd's are goners as soon as the BD is released. The others are wait and see until the right deal comes along.
Old 11-08-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Das Boot
Guns of Navarone
Old 11-08-08, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm probably in the minority, but I really want Force Ten From Navarone.
Old 11-08-08, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I wouldn't hold your breath. While Fox has acknowledged some of the complaints about DNR on that disc, they are adamant that they're happy with the transfer.
Ugh. Well... I'll be happy with my DVD then. Thanks for helping me save some money, Fox
Old 11-08-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are willing to import, you can get The Eagle Has Landed, Days of Glory, Saints and Soldiers, Assembly, Taegukgi, among others.
Old 11-08-08, 10:36 AM

Assembly is pretty awsome on Blue Ray.

I would like to see some of the old gems like Come and See and even All quiet on the Western Front.
Old 11-08-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Well Speiberg did allow the fourth Indiana Jones film to come to blu-ray, so there might be hope for more of his films.
Old 11-08-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hasslein
I'm with ya
Old 11-08-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Well Speiberg did allow the fourth Indiana Jones film to come to blu-ray, so there might be hope for more of his films.
Yea, that was a Day & Date. His legacy films have not seen the light of Blu other than CE3K.
Old 11-08-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hasslein
Always liked Guns of Navarone and Force 10 from Navarone. The original DVDs were pretty basic so I'd definately upgrade.
Old 11-08-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
I only want The Thin Red Line and I'll be happy.
Old 11-08-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by eedoon
Ugh. Well... I'll be happy with my DVD then. Thanks for helping me save some money, Fox
While the Patton Blu-ray is marred by too much DNR, it's still leaps and bounds better than the DVD.
Old 11-08-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Always liked Guns of Navarone and Force 10 from Navarone. The original DVDs were pretty basic so I'd definately upgrade.
I've only seen two film transfers like this, I'm sure there are more, but Force Ten and Mad Mad World every other frame is out of focus.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.