Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dead Set, British comedy horror, anyone else heard of it?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TV critic Charlie Brooker has given Big Brother a mauling in his time, but nothing as savage as this. His first TV drama imagines a nation of zombies attacking the Big Brother house. Viewers familiar with Brooker's satirical show Screenwipe, be warned: this is as much about severed limbs as clever, clever gags. The fun starts on eviction night, with hordes of fans baying for blood. Literally. A production assistant escapes, only to discover she must team up with the other survivors: the Big Brother housemates. As if that isn't scary enough, Davina McCall - who plays herself - proves a convincing cannibal.

Read about this on another sitek premis sounds interesting, is it worth checking out?
Old 11-03-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watched episode 1 tonight, 4 more to go.
Very gory, a far bit of swearing aswell. Charlie Brooker is really harsh on reality TV , his Screenwipe show is brilliant and I can happily watch repeats. The first episode was about an hour long after ads.
He has also written a book, the name escapes me at the moment. But it is made up from his articles written for newspapers and his online blog.
Old 11-03-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

cool. how many episodes are there total, i know of 5 thus far.
Old 11-04-08, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viewed all 5 episodes recently and was greatly impressed. A Region 2 disc was released today (Nov.3) in the U.K. and can be found at Amazon.co.uk. If you appreciate genre entries like the remake of Dawn Of The Dead or 28 Days/Weeks Later (yes, I know they're not "technically" zombies, so just lay off) you should probably seek this out sooner rather than later.
Old 11-04-08, 01:12 AM

Play.com appears to have one of the better prices at 11.99 British pounds (current exchange rate for U.S. buyers is a bit prohibitive but not a deal-breaker). Amazon.co.uk seems to be sold out with the exception of some of their private sellers and every other site I looked at started at over 14.00 Bp.

If you have alternate region capabilities and a fondness for the undead genre, you should seriously consider buying this disc regardless of the exchange rates. I can honestly say it's one of the most pleasantly surprising horror viewings I've had in quite some time.
Old 11-04-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

cool thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. is this the only season?
Old 11-04-08, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by ejpray
Viewed all 5 episodes recently and was greatly impressed. A Region 2 disc was released today (Nov.3) in the U.K. and can be found at Amazon.co.uk. If you appreciate genre entries like the remake of Dawn Of The Dead or 28 Days/Weeks Later (yes, I know they're not "technically" zombies, so just lay off) you should probably seek this out sooner rather than later.
Did I miss something? Technically not zombies? Isn't the point of DotD that a Zombie outbreak has hit?

Thanks for the info on this Brit show. Def going to look into it.
Old 11-04-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by ardathbey
Did I miss something? Technically not zombies? Isn't the point of DotD that a Zombie outbreak has hit?

Thanks for the info on this Brit show. Def going to look into it.
He meant 28 Days/Weeks Later. Those are not zombies
Old 11-04-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have 1 episode left and I think it has been great. Very gory with some nods to other things thrown in every now and again.
To find out some more about what Charlie Brooker is like, try to find his show called Screenwipe out there on the interwebs. He makes alot of cutting remarks about reality TV (you should hear him talk about My Sweet 16!).
Old 11-05-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was great, but episode 5 was a complete WTF moment.

Did anyone catch the unaired pilot for babylon fields? that was just plain strange
Old 11-05-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
I forget how I found out about the series but glad I found it!
Would be nice to see this kind of thing run longer.
Old 11-17-08, 10:30 PM

I'm a fan of BBUSA and even bigger with the BBUK. Is Davina in all 5 episodes or just the first? If she's in all 5 it's a must watch but I'm so backlogged right now with the US shows.

I scanned the first episode and I was cracking up. How the actors pulled off the Big Brother format was impeccable. They had it down 1000%. Even with the eviction Davina would be exactly how she was with the talk and the mannerisms.
Old 11-18-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's definetely not really a horror/comedy. It's a dark dark, grim nihilistic flick, much in the traditional and feel of Romero. It has some very black humor and satire.

I really really enjoyed the series. It was easily the best Zombie genre movie (even though it was a TV series) since Day of the Dead. It was better than Romero's last two flicks.

Also, it's easily the goriest thing I've ever seen on TV.
Old 11-18-08, 11:16 AM

One of the best miniseries ever!
Old 11-18-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I got this last week from Amazon UK. Gonna try and give it a spin this weekend.
Old 12-02-08, 12:54 PM

Watched the whole thing last night, just could not stop. Now, that is how you make a "Zombie" series. Someone needs to bring it to the states untouched. Perfect complement to my current obsession with the game Left 4 Dead and the arrival of my copy of The Walking Dead Book 4. 'Tis the Season. Also, do not go to the official website, because it is filled with huge spoilers and it is best to just have no idea what you are getting into.
Old 12-17-08, 06:06 AM

I have to concur with you guys, I really dug this. I have come to learn there are smart ways and silly ways to attempt a Zombie story. This one was tight and concise. Very well done.