Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Comcast HD DVR fast forward issues

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-03-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I have Comcast HD service, currently using a Motorola HD-DVR.

Lately I've been experiencing something odd when trying to ff through a recorded show. The recording will jump to the end - with no way to get back to my original point without slow rewinding. At this point I'll have to shut off the box, turn it on and then "carefully" ff to the spot I was at originally.

I watch a lot of DVR'd content from different channels, and the weird part is that it has only happened on NBC programming (specifically The Office and My Name Is Earl).

I did some Google searching, and read something about 5c encryption causing FF issues, but that seemed to only appy to offloading DVR'd content to a computer.

Are Comcast or the networks experimenting with some type of encryption that will prevent DVR fast-forwarding?
Old 11-03-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBC is famous for such issues. On my HDTivo, the FF1 does nothing (acts like Pause), and FF2/FF3 are slower than on other channels. They use stupid encoders at their local stations, it seems. Their old encoder didn't do this. Then they tested a new one for a few months last year that had the problem. Then went back to the old one. Presumably they would take input like, "FF doesn't work", and use that in decision making about a new, permanent change. Guess what, this year they are back to a different encoder (don't know if exactly the same as the test) and FF doesn't work right, again. I've seen similar reports from other cities.

Comcast's DVRs don't have SkiptoTick, do they? It would be much easier to find your spot again with this. Also, I'm surprised that you can't start over (not that it's the solution to this problem) without turning off the whole box. It doesn't offer Start Over vs Resume when coming back to a recording?

Just a thought, my parents have Comcast, I have DirecTV. We get essentially the same channels. My bill: $86 with 3 DVRs (2 HD). Their bill: $110, with 2 HDDVRs. And I've got more channels in HD. I'm just sayin'. Although I did need to buy a $27 antenna 4 years ago, that negated my savings for one month. I splurged, I was also looking at a $24 antenna.
Old 11-03-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened all the time to me, but then I switched to Fios and that problem is no longer there!
Old 11-03-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
On further Google review, it looks the issue might be broadcast flags provided by NBC in order to prevent offloading of programming to DVDs, computers, etc.

In reading through various sites on this topic, it looks preventing commercial skipping is another "side effect" - though if you think about what network wouldn't want viewers to be unable to ff through ads?

As far as I can tell, the Digital Broadcast Television Redistribution Control act requires DVRs to look for this broadcaster-provided signal (see Wikipedia entry).