Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Jusr ordered a WD-65835, anyone else have one?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After looking over reviews and such for a little while I ordered a mitsubishi wd-65835..........got a great deal on it and am very excited to get it. Couple questions......Anyone else have have one? What are your experiences? Did you get it calibrated? I was looking into doing it myself, but the good calibration tools and software will run me close to 200.....and geek squad will do it for 250........any thoughts on that? Anyways I am excited to finally enter the world of 1080P and 120hz.........been holding off for the right time.......Andy
Old 11-08-08, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy there is a write up in the Dec08 issue of Home Theater Mag on this TV
Old 11-08-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks man
Old 11-10-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this tv. One thing...in the review in Home Theater magazine it doesn't mention the software glitch in the menu when you change the HDMI inputs names. If you have a AV receiver and hook it up to the tv via HDMI when you change the inputs name to AVR it will revert all of your settings back to the factory setting when you shut the tv off. I left mine at HDMI 1. This only happens when the HDMI inputs are named AVR. their, I said it twice. you can find more info at the AVS forums in these two threads...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1024421
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=581433

I also used used the blu-ray DVE to calibrate my tv. You can find it for sale at tower.com, familyvideo.com, and other fine establishments between $14. to $30.
Old 11-10-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the input tyler............. "FUCK martha stewart......."
Old 11-10-08, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
I have this tv. One thing...in the review in Home Theater magazine it doesn't mention the software glitch in the menu when you change the HDMI inputs names. If you have a AV receiver and hook it up to the tv via HDMI when you change the inputs name to AVR it will revert all of your settings back to the factory setting when you shut the tv off. I left mine at HDMI 1. This only happens when the HDMI inputs are named AVR. their, I said it twice. you can find more info at the AVS forums in these two threads...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1024421
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=581433

I also used used the blu-ray DVE to calibrate my tv. You can find it for sale at tower.com, familyvideo.com, and other fine establishments between $14. to $30.
Tyler that review didn't paint a great picture. What do you think of the PQ(for a DLP) on it?
It's one I'm considering (for the price),the other Mit's I'm considering is their new 52" Diamond LCD.........big hang up for me on this one is going from a 57" DLP(Mit's 734) to a 52"! The other two is 58" Panny's 800 series Plasma and Sammy's 58" 950 series LCD.
Old 11-10-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SUPERMANROB, I prefer DLP so you might say I'm biased. As far as mits 65835goes I wouldn't have bought it If I wasn't happy with it. The Blu-ray of the recent release Doomsday is incredible I can't put into words how beautiful all the blues look in that movie. If your tv is not calibrated, or you are not familiar with the color wheel(I am, I am a artist), the blues show a beautiful variety of shades which to many can look just gray. Another Blu-ray, the Golden Compass shows a wide variety of colors in many of its aeriel shots of cities and landscapes. I also went with the 65835 because I can't have a front projector in my home theater. I was originally going to get the 73835 but both my wife and I felt it would be overkill in our basement.

I won't go Plasma or LCD until the solve the problems with image retention. If you read this month's review in Widescreen Review of the latest Pioneer kuro displays it mentions image retention a couple of times. Kuro is Pioneer's top of the line Plasma so if that has image retention problems what does that say for the rest of their plasma line. Also Panasonic, It is only a matter of opinion now, but they have as good a product line of plasma's as Pioneer. SO good that this is the last year that Pioneer is producing their own plasmas, next year they are having Panasonic produce them under the Pioneer name. As for the mits LCD's I don't know a thing about them or seen any reviews so I would be careful.
Old 11-11-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wanted to add one thing...On your 65835 if you hit the menu button and the numbers 2470, a counter will pop up with how many hours you have on the bulb in the tv. Pretty nifty feature if you believe that the bulbs last between 4000-6000 hours.
Old 11-11-08, 05:40 PM

SUPERMANROB, I prefer DLP so you might say I'm biased. As far as mits 65835goes I wouldn't have bought it If I wasn't happy with it. The Blu-ray of the recent release Doomsday is incredible I can't put into words how beautiful all the blues look in that movie. If your tv is not calibrated, or you are not familiar with the color wheel(I am, I am a artist), the blues show a beautiful variety of shades which to many can look just gray. Another Blu-ray, the Golden Compass shows a wide variety of colors in many of its aeriel shots of cities and landscapes. I also went with the 65835 because I can't have a front projector in my home theater. I was originally going to get the 73835 but both my wife and I felt it would be overkill in our basement.

I won't go Plasma or LCD until the solve the problems with image retention. If you read this month's review in Widescreen Review of the latest Pioneer kuro displays it mentions image retention a couple of times. Kuro is Pioneer's top of the line Plasma so if that has image retention problems what does that say for the rest of their plasma line. Also Panasonic, It is only a matter of opinion now, but they have as good a product line of plasma's as Pioneer. SO good that this is the last year that Pioneer is producing their own plasmas, next year they are having Panasonic produce them under the Pioneer name. As for the mits LCD's I don't know a thing about them or seen any reviews so I would be careful.
Tyler I thought image retention only applied to plasma and not LCD's? The Sammy 950 got a good review in the Dec08 Home Theater mag and was somewhat getting compared to the Kuro.
Then there is Mit's new Laservue, I know it's pricey but the new Sony XBR8 is the same price and not hearing alot of grumbling about that. I wouldn't by one now but if it blows the pants off the DLP & LCD's out now and compares to the Kuro in black's then might be good to hold for a better price down the line.
Tyler do you know if the 835 supports 24P or does it convert to 60P?

Last edited by SUPERMANROB; 11-11-08 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add a question
Old 11-12-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Tyler I thought image retention only applied to plasma and not LCD's? The Sammy 950 got a good review in the Dec08 Home Theater mag and was somewhat getting compared to the Kuro.
Then there is Mit's new Laservue, I know it's pricey but the new Sony XBR8 is the same price and not hearing alot of grumbling about that. I wouldn't by one now but if it blows the pants off the DLP & LCD's out now and compares to the Kuro in black's then might be good to hold for a better price down the line.
Tyler do you know if the 835 supports 24P or does it convert to 60P?
No, It supports 24p only.
Old 11-16-08, 04:59 PM

No, It supports 24p only.
So let me clarify if I feed this TV a 24P signal from a BD player it will produce a 24P picture and not not covert it to 60P ? In other words it does 5:5 and not 3:2 pull down?
Old 11-17-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
So let me clarify if I feed this TV a 24P signal from a BD player it will produce a 24P picture and not not covert it to 60P ? In other words it does 5:5 and not 3:2 pull down?
I was re-reading the home theater mag and it says "Overall, the mit's SD video processing (480i to 1080p) was fair at best on my full plate of tests. It's 3:2 pulldown performance was marginal, and it did a poor job on the 2:2 (video) cadence test. But it improved to good on other material (jaggies tests and challenging real-world film tests) It's HD deinterlacing (1080i to 1080p) was good to excellent on all of my tests ( including full 3:2 pulldown on film resolution), except visible flicker and moire on the Vatican steps scene in chapter 8 of Mission Impossible III. It also had a poor test result, again, on 2:2 (video) pulldown."
Old 11-17-08, 06:36 PM

I was re-reading the home theater mag and it says "Overall, the mit's SD video processing (480i to 1080p) was fair at best on my full plate of tests. It's 3:2 pulldown performance was marginal, and it did a poor job on the 2:2 (video) cadence test. But it improved to good on other material (jaggies tests and challenging real-world film tests) It's HD deinterlacing (1080i to 1080p) was good to excellent on all of my tests ( including full 3:2 pulldown on film resolution), except visible flicker and moire on the Vatican steps scene in chapter 8 of Mission Impossible III. It also had a poor test result, again, on 2:2 (video) pulldown."
Thanks Tyler and I guess after reading more I think to date there is no DLP that will do 5:5 pulling down(34P) they all still do 3:2 pull down. I'm just debating if it's worth going with 5:5 for the extra $$$.
I still can't find to much on Mit's Diamond LCD's. The little I have it has been good. I like the picture and that it does 5:5 (24P) and it's a 16 bit and not 10 bit like most. I just don't like going down from 57" to 52". The new sammy 950 series LCD got good reviews from Home Theater mag and Sound and Vision Mag but the MRP s $5K . I don't like the glare and view angle issue they mentioned.
Old 11-17-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See in my case the size of the tv was there, I just waited alittle bit for the technology to catch up. It sounds like in your case the technology is there but not the size. I would wait and see what Mits might be doing with the size of their LCD's. Who knows maybe next year's model will have a size upgrade to 57" or even 60". One can hope...
Old 11-17-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey SUPERMANROB....

Found this at blu-ray.com
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=474

thought you might find this one interesting...
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=473

And here is the whole thread....
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=5155

Last edited by TylerDurden_73; 11-17-08 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 11:36 PM

Found this at blu-ray.com
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=474

thought you might find this one interesting...
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=473

And here is the whole thread....
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=5155
Tyler thanks for that site full of info