Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Playstation 3 Connection question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to buy a ps3, but am concerned about how to hook it up to my home theater system. My objective was to take advantage of the lossless audio codecs (for the occasional blu-ray) by connecting via hdmi to my Denon AVR-1909, while using component video to my older Toshiba 65' rptv.

Is this even possible? I read the main ps3 thread over at avsforum, but didn't see this connection type mentioned (or I overlooked it.)

If I cannot connect the ps3 this way, then it basically means it will only be a game player for me instead (with component video and optical audio) and I'll look into a standalone for blu-ray discs. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 10-31-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes. The PS3 has standard HDMI and S/PDIF ports. The multi-out port is for analog. So you will have to buy a PS3 component cable. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to output 1080p over component. And I don't think you can upscale DVD, at all, over component. Someone check me on that one.
Old 10-31-08, 01:48 PM
Suspended

You cant anymore. Early DVD players and a couple region free ones will allow it. Most don't anymore.
Old 10-31-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Yes. The PS3 has standard HDMI and S/PDIF ports. The multi-out port is for analog. So you will have to buy a PS3 component cable. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to output 1080p over component. And I don't think you can upscale DVD, at all, over component. Someone check me on that one.
There was dissenting viewpoints in the avsforum sticky thread for the ps3 and it led me to believe that if I connected the hdmi to my receiver, that it would override my ability to use component for video to the rptv.

The component A/V cable (I have seen at BB for $25) for the ps3 looks like a 5 into 1 cable. Is it simply a case of instructing the ps3 to output audio via hdmi? or do you simply not connect the audio portion of the component cable?

I would think that there are many out there that have an older rptv who would be happy with 1080i for their video as long as they can receive the lossless codecs.
Old 10-31-08, 03:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tofferman
There was dissenting viewpoints in the avsforum sticky thread for the ps3 and it led me to believe that if I connected the hdmi to my receiver, that it would override my ability to use component for video to the rptv.

The component A/V cable (I have seen at BB for $25) for the ps3 looks like a 5 into 1 cable. Is it simply a case of instructing the ps3 to output audio via hdmi? or do you simply not connect the audio portion of the component cable?

I would think that there are many out there that have an older rptv who would be happy with 1080i for their video as long as they can receive the lossless codecs.

Yes, in this case, you wouldn't hook up the audio cables from the component cable.

However, you can't get the lossless codecs on the PS3 unless you use HDMI.
Old 10-31-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the AVR-1909 convert video signals from one input type to another? Can you send HDMI A/V from the PS3 and have the AVR-1909 redirect the video to the display via component?
Old 10-31-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Yes, in this case, you wouldn't hook up the audio cables from the component cable.

However, you can't get the lossless codecs on the PS3 unless you use HDMI.
Are you saying that if one doesn't connect the audio portion of the component cables (and does use hdmi for audio), there won't be a conflict as far as the ps3 goes?

I was looking at the PS3 bundle at Costco for the 40gb, which includes an extra controller, blu-ray remote, and hdmi/usb cables for $468. I would then have to buy the component cables separately, $25 at Best Buy.
Old 10-31-08, 03:33 PM
Suspended

What I am saying is that the only way to get the lossless codecs with a PS3 is to connect an HDMI cable. If you want to use component for video, you can use a toslink cable for audio, but you won't get lossless. You'll get a bit better than DVD quality, but not lossless.

As you suspect, you cannot connect the HDMI for audio and then use component for video. If you connect HDMI, you use that for video.

So it is either component with toslink or HDMI for both. With HDMI you get the lossless codecs
Old 10-31-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I am saying is that the only way to get the lossless codecs with a PS3 is to connect an HDMI cable. If you want to use component for video, you can use a toslink cable for audio, but you won't get lossless. You'll get a bit better than DVD quality, but not lossless.

As you suspect, you cannot connect the HDMI for audio and then use component for video. If you connect HDMI, you use that for video.

So it is either component with toslink or HDMI for both. With HDMI you get the lossless codecs
Looks like the PS3, at least with my rptv, will be for games only unless I can accept not receiving lossless audio. It's things like this that lead me to the conclusion that my rptv's days are numbered as it is becoming more of an impediment with its lack of hdmi. That was my suspicion. Thanks gimmepilotwings.
Old 11-01-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Well if I had a choice, I'd go with the component for the picture. Even if you connect to your receiver with TOSLINK, you will get the maximum bitrate for DTS and DD. Higher than any DVD will have. The audio is virtually indistinguishable from the lossless. Yes, the lossless sounds good, but it would be silly to spend another $200+ for a stand-alone BD player. Save your money and apply it to a new TV that supports HDMI, HDCP, etc.

Does your TV had DVI inputs? Does it support HDCP? You can get a HDMI to DVI cable and run that from your receiver to your TV. So long as it supports HDCP, it doesn't matter if the cable from the receiver to TV is HDMI or DVI. The video signal is the same.
Old 11-01-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$200 plus? The two best SA players for audio choices cost the same as the PS3, all have $400 MSRPs. Except that you might find them discounted one day, not the PS3 unless there is an official price drop. At least one of them is also a better upconverter, maybe both. It isn't 2007 anymore.

That's if that Denon receiver has 7.1 analog inputs. If not, you have the same problem as the PS3, anyway. Most devices shut off component when HDMI is plugged in.

Last edited by Spiky; 11-01-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-01-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
Well if I had a choice, I'd go with the component for the picture. Even if you connect to your receiver with TOSLINK, you will get the maximum bitrate for DTS and DD. Higher than any DVD will have. The audio is virtually indistinguishable from the lossless. Yes, the lossless sounds good, but it would be silly to spend another $200+ for a stand-alone BD player. Save your money and apply it to a new TV that supports HDMI, HDCP, etc.

Does your TV had DVI inputs? Does it support HDCP? You can get a HDMI to DVI cable and run that from your receiver to your TV. So long as it supports HDCP, it doesn't matter if the cable from the receiver to TV is HDMI or DVI. The video signal is the same.
I agree...plus I'd bring up the same point I make everytime we talk lossless; what speakers are you using?

I enjoy lossess. But IMO you have to have some pretty nice speakers to really appreciate it. And if you don't, you would get better overall sound improvement by upgrading your speakers then by going lossless.
Old 11-03-08, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Does the AVR-1909 convert video signals from one input type to another? Can you send HDMI A/V from the PS3 and have the AVR-1909 redirect the video to the display via component?
I can't speak for that receiver, but my Onkyo 603 will only pass on the signal that you feed it - meaning if you pass in via HDMI it sends it out as HDMI.

I also have an older RPTV. I run HDMI from my PS3 to the receiver for audio and component to the receiver for video.
Old 11-03-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shelland
I also have an older RPTV. I run HDMI from my PS3 to the receiver for audio and component to the receiver for video.
These two statements contradict each other. So, who is correct? or what am I missing here?
Old 11-04-08, 07:51 AM

These two statements contradict each other. So, who is correct? or what am I missing here?
All I can say is that's how I have mine hooked up... (component for video, HDMI for audio)
Old 11-04-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I can say is that's how I have mine hooked up... (component for video, HDMI for audio)
Which connectors are you using (Sony Component A/V Cables?) If so, are you simply not plugging in the two audio cables?
Old 11-08-08, 08:46 AM

Which connectors are you using (Sony Component A/V Cables?) If so, are you simply not plugging in the two audio cables?
Yes, I am using the Sony component cables ($20 or so) - leaving the audio cables unhooked. I was using optical for audio before I decided to give HDMI for audio only a try. I wasn't sure that would work, but I had my own experiment and it did.

If you go this route, one thing I've done accidentally a couple times (well - once myself, and once by my 8 y.o.) - I can't remember what causes the prompt, but every once in a while I will get a message asking something about video. I believe it is basically asking about enabling video via the HDMI connection (probably because it detects the HDMI cable hooked up but the setting to send video via component) - although it's not worded so that it was obvious to me what it was truly asking, it doesn't specifically mention HDMI in any way. Anyway, if you say 'yes' then it changes the PS3 setting to send the video signal via HDMI, which in my setup means I cannot see the video.
Old 11-10-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I am using the Sony component cables ($20 or so) - leaving the audio cables unhooked. I was using optical for audio before I decided to give HDMI for audio only a try. I wasn't sure that would work, but I had my own experiment and it did.
I was also able to use hdmi for audio to my Denon and component for the video to the RPTV. This set up sounds good so far using only sd dvd and a couple of PS3 games. I haven't experimented with routing the video though the receiver first to see if there is any difference or not.

I'm also curious if there are differences in quality between the Sony PS3 a/v component cables (about $20) and other third party vendors.
Old 12-11-08, 06:07 PM
Cool New Member

So, since my PS3 only has the HDMI output only for Hi-Def, there is no way for me to hook it up to the R/G/B/ inputs on an older HDTV?
Or is there? Someone please point me in the right direction because im dying to play madden in Hi-Def on my biggest bigscreen tv!
Old 12-11-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm assuming you mean component video inputs. RGB is something else.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._YUV_HDMI.html

Don't know if it will actually work for all resolutions, though. Studios have been absolutely stupid about component video usage.

So, assuming you wanted to spend less on the video game than on the video cable...actually an HDMI to RGB/VGA converter might be a better choice, if you have a VGA input. It might be the computer version that is an HD15 connector, or the projector version that is 5 RCA or BNC inputs. At any rate, look up HDFury if this would work.
Old 12-11-08, 06:31 PM
Cool New Member

So what term should I use to describe the Red, Green, and Blue, hi-def inputs? Do you just call it component? Is there anything at monoprice that could do the trick? The only thing i have been able to find is a red, gree, blue to hdmi convertor.
Thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, just "component video".

Now that I think about it, I thought the PS3 could do component out. Are there some models that can't?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 12-11-08, 11:13 PM
Cool New Member

Ok. Well, it only does the standard red, yellow, and white. I have the 80 GB model. Thanks, that's exactly what im looking for.