Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Netflix to Stream HD Movies to Xbox 360 Gold Members who also Subscribe to Netflix

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Netflix to Stream HD Movies to Xbox 360 Gold Members who also Subscribe to Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/29/h...box-360-first/

The New Xbox Experience—which we just gave a stellar review—will not only stream Netflix movies. It will be streaming Netflix movies in HD. Whaaa? Nobody else does that!

Well, maybe they don't. But Engadget confirmed that when NXE hits on November 19th, 300 HD movies will be available to stream from Netflix (as opposed to just the movie 300). That's obviously not every movie in the Netflix digital collection, but it's a start.

Seeing as I found SD streaming flawless on the 360, I'm really curious to see if Netflix and Microsoft can deliver the same short buffer times and easy fast forwarding in high def. [engadget]
Sadly it will probably be a bunch of junk but I'm at least hoping they stream some of their shows in HD. For those that don't know you have to be an Xbox 360 Gold Member and subscribe to Netflix (cheapest plan in $8.99, or now $9.99 if you want Blu-rat rentals)

Last edited by Gizmo; 10-29-08 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 10:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
For those that don't know you have the be an Xbox 360 Gold Member and subscribe to Netflix (cheapest plan in $8.99, or now $9.99 if you want Blu-rat rentals)
You have an interesting definition of "for Free".
Old 10-29-08, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
You have an interesting definition of "for Free".
Its already been well-advertised you have to be an XBL Gold subscriber and Netflixer for it to free. I'll ask the mods to change the thread title then.
Old 10-29-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Oh this is quality! Another reason to go with the Samsung 2550 as the BD player of choice. EDIT: Dang it. I didn't see it was exclusive to 360 over their other partners. Dumb move!
Old 10-29-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Very cool news. I know I'll have fun with this addition.

And why is this a dumb move, Superman07? Is it because you don't have an Xbox?
Old 10-29-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have my PC hooked to my television via HDMI cable anyway, so I plan on streaming my Netflix HD movies through that. No added XBL cost.
Old 10-29-08, 11:37 AM

If they add this service to PS3's, we'll be in business. Please please please.
Old 10-29-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
Very cool news. I know I'll have fun with this addition.

And why is this a dumb move, Superman07? Is it because you don't have an Xbox?
No, I do. I just don't see why you'd make this so exclusive - to the point that you're alienating your own subscribers. You're effectively penalizing them for not having an Xbox.

Also, I just picked up a 12 month subscription card at a discount and it came with 1 month free. Nice deal.
Old 10-29-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
This is awesome news. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-29-08, 12:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
No, I do. I just don't see why you'd make this so exclusive - to the point that you're alienating your own subscribers. You're effectively penalizing them for not having an Xbox.
Really? You can't see why they would do that? I imagine it has something to do with Microsoft waving a hell of a lot of money in Netflix's face.
Old 10-29-08, 12:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superman07
Also, I just picked up a 12 month subscription card at a discount and it came with 1 month free. Nice deal.
My sub comes up in a few weeks so I need to get a year sub cheap. Any recommendations? Amazon has it for $38.99 but I think I could do better then that.
Old 10-29-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by John Slider
I have my PC hooked to my television via HDMI cable anyway, so I plan on streaming my Netflix HD movies through that. No added XBL cost.
I hope you plan on waiting. If you read the article it says it is essentially Xbox 360 exclusive right now. No 360 and no Live than you aren't getting streaming HD from Netflix. Unless I'm reading something wrong, which is always possible.
Old 10-29-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
^ What he said. I have my PC hooked up to my TV via HDMI as well, but that doesn't mean I'm streaming a movie in HD.
Old 10-29-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts
This is awesome. As a big fan of both the Xbox 360 and Netflix, I am especially pleased! Thanks for the post!
Old 10-29-08, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I may sign up for Netflix now. I wasn't interested when it was only SD streaming. But I'd have to see what titles are available first.
Old 10-29-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never liked their SD streaming quality, but agree this may get me back on board. I'm moving more and more towards renting and this is a great option to have.
Old 10-29-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait for the update now. Sweet.

-beebs
Old 10-29-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
if they add real mainstream movies, this will be badass.
Old 10-29-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
So... 300 movies... do you think they will only be ones that are available on HD-DVD or Blu? Or will we see stuff that's been on pay channels? Or even TV shows in hi-def? The MS marketplace has movies that aren't on either format so I think it would be interesting to see some variety outside of what's available commercially.
Old 10-29-08, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So... 300 movies... do you think they will only be ones that are available on HD-DVD or Blu? Or will we see stuff that's been on pay channels? Or even TV shows in hi-def? The MS marketplace has movies that aren't on either format so I think it would be interesting to see some variety outside of what's available commercially.
I have a feeling it will be very low grade B films...but who knows. The current streaming library isn't that great...
Old 10-29-08, 09:00 PM
Suspended

Here is some brief impressions..

One of the more exciting additions to the Xbox 360 is the streaming of Netflix movies for subscribers of the video rental service and Xbox Live Gold. The service has been available to Netflix subscribers via their PCs or dedicated boxes like the Roku for some time now, but the Xbox 360 will be the first console to support the streaming of standard and high definition "Watch Instantly" content.

The service is a welcome solution that we found refreshingly simple to set up and use.

Netflix streaming can be accessed under the Video Marketplace section. You'll be required to download and install a 3.29 MB file, something that should take less than 30 seconds depending on your connection and Xbox Live strain.

Following the install, you'll receive an activation code. Submit that to Netflix.com, add some video content to your "Instant Queue" (if you haven't done so already) and you're good to go. Total set up time should take less than five minutes. Not bad.

What might not be as impressive is the selection of video content available to stream instantly at Netflix. We didn't have much of an issue finding things to watch — much of John Carpenter's filmography is available — but don't make the mistake of thinking the whole of Netflix's library is at your digital beck and call. There are plenty of duds to wade through to get to the good stuff, but there are thousands of hours of video content at your disposal.

From adding an item to your instant queue to having it appear on your Xbox 360's list takes but a few seconds. If you get a wild hair to watch, say 30 Rock, you can be viewing the episode of your choice within a minute. We should note that the occasional quibble will arise, as the first season of NBC's Heroes features one "disc only" episode, unavailable to Netflix streamers.

Video quality varies, depending on the title. While buffering, Netflix will determine your video quality based on bandwidth. Even in films presented in HD — we watched portions of The Thing in a high def feed — you'll see artifacting and dithering, but quality is on par with on-demand content from a cable box. Better than standard definition digital cable, but decidedly softer than from a DVD or HD-DVD disc.

Navigating content while watching is straightforward, with pause, skip back, rewind, stop, forward, and skip forward letting you move around content. You'll re-buffer after time-shifting, but that takes only a few seconds. The navigation bar also provides language and display modes.

The NXE dashboard interface for Netflix streaming lets users resume play if they stop a video, rated it from one to five stars, or remove it from their instant queue.

Netflix streaming over the Xbox 360 is almost devoid of pain and a very welcome addition to Xbox Live. The interface is simple and the video quality can be fantastic — we've found little to complain about, outside of the occasionally weak content offerings.
Looks like The Thing will be available. Not bad.
Old 10-29-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
if they add real mainstream movies, this will be badass.
When they made that new deal with Starz a few weeks back they have added a lot more mainstream movies.
Old 10-29-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It won't take long for these HD streams to be made available to all Netflix subscribers. Once word gets out the people who also pay full subscription rates will want the service.
Old 10-30-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
I've never liked their SD streaming quality, but agree this may get me back on board. I'm moving more and more towards renting and this is a great option to have.
I was playing around with Resident Evil: Extinction on their SD "watch instantly" feature on my HTPC with my new FIOS and the quality at the highest level was decent though definitely not up to DVD. Audio looked like it may have been Dolby Surround at best, though my receivers Pro Logic II processor did some decent work with it, but this will be a huge reason why I would never go download over purchase. It would work for a spontaneous view on the fly though.
Old 10-30-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Content Agenda is reporting that it's not just the XBox 360 that will be streaming HD but all Netflix streaming devices. I've got the Roku and hope this is true.
http://www.contentagenda.com/article/CA6609810.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.