Reload this Page >

Best way to sell unwanted video games?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-28-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious as to how you get rid of the video games you no longer want to play. Please list the methods you have had the most success with and why. Off the top of my head, I can think of the following venues to sell unwanted games:

Amazon, Ebay, Half.com, DVDTalk trade forum, CAG trade forum, Craigslist

Thanks!
Old 10-28-08, 02:54 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any of those should be good.. Just avoid trading into GameStop or one of those type stores unless you can take advantage of a very good deal.

Usually they give you a fraction of what you could get selling the game on your own. The kicker, they may give you $10 for a game, relatively new, and then turn around and sell it for $34.99
Old 10-28-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't "sell" them generally, but I goozex them. Usually someone out there is looking to pick them up, and I'm often looking for some older titles to pick up cheap, so it works out in the end for me.
Old 10-28-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
I don't "sell" them generally, but I goozex them. Usually someone out there is looking to pick them up, and I'm often looking for some older titles to pick up cheap, so it works out in the end for me.
I was about to post the same thing. I recently discovered Goozex and it has worked out perfectly. I kinda use it more like a gamefly subscription. You get a fair value for your game and then you turn around and get a game back for a fair value.

If it doesn't go on goozex, then it is Half.com for me.
Old 10-28-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
For anything relatively recent or very popular, I find half.com to be best as a general rule of thumb. Blockbuster/Gamerush can also be decent if it's a game from the last 6 mos. and you don't mind taking credit. Gamestop will occasionally top everything else, depending on the game and their current promotion. If you have old, non-rare games, their 'trade 2, get an extra $10' can sometimes beat what you'd get elsewhere and if they're doing a promotion with an extra 30% or 40% credit for trade-ins, the latest and greatest games can fetch around $50. On the flipside, when they don't have a good promotional deal going on, Gamestop is always the worst deal.
Old 10-28-08, 05:27 PM

goozex is good ive traded about 40 games with them and gotten around 15 games,
Old 10-28-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gooter
Just curious as to how you get rid of the video games you no longer want to play. Please list the methods you have had the most success with and why. Off the top of my head, I can think of the following venues to sell unwanted games:

Amazon, Ebay, Half.com, DVDTalk trade forum, CAG trade forum, Craigslist

Thanks!
Ebay sucks for the fees so i'd go with the Exchange forum here or CAG first. If you still don't sell it at those 2 sites then go the Ebay road.

Originally Posted by Vryce
Kicker, he may give you $10 for a game, relatively new, and then turn around and sell it for $34.99

DAMN IT! Quit ruining my gig man!

Old 10-28-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can be kinda sucky prices but wherehouse.com buys console games.
Old 10-28-08, 09:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
Ebay sucks for the fees so i'd go with the Exchange forum here or CAG first. If you still don't sell it at those 2 sites then go the Ebay road.

DAMN IT! Quit ruining my gig man!

See.. that Kicker is a shady character.
Old 10-28-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just wanted to add thanks for the goozex suggestion I added some old titles that wouldnt sell and already sold one
Old 10-29-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I've started using Amazon more and more lately. I used to be half.com exclusive. I think Amazon charges a little more, but from what I've noticed I can get away with charging $1-$2 more than I can on half, so it works out well. Not to mention items sell a hell of a lot quicker on Amazon.

I typically list a single item on both sites and just stay on top of my inventory when it sells.
Old 10-29-08, 06:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Good timing on this thread. I just decided yesterday to get rid of most of my games.

Most of it is not current gen, maybe 50 xbox games, maybe some older stuff even.

I'm sure gamestop would give me maybe a quarter per game or so, and I don't have the patience for amazon or ebay.

Maybe wait for the "trade 2 get $10" promotions, or I imagine that is only current gen games?

Post them in lots here or on CAG?

I really don't expect to make any money, I just don't want them to go to waste pretty much.
Old 10-29-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone! I checked out Goozex but not really sure how it is supposed to work. Seems like there are queues like Netflix or something.

I just may trade in some of my older titles to Gamestop since they have that trade 2 and get $10 credit deal going on. I want to get rid of All Pro 2k8, Top Spin 2, Pirates At World's End and others and I'm sure even if I would try to sell I wouldn't get much more than $5 for each. I have a few unopened games that I know I don't want to play now so I'll try to sell those here or on Half or Amazon.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Maybe wait for the "trade 2 get $10" promotions, or I imagine that is only current gen games?
Trevor, it is going on right now and expires on 11/2 I believe. Also, it only applies to games with trade in values > $1. Knowing GS, I'm sure they won't cut me a break if a game has a TIV of $0.75.
Old 10-29-08, 12:30 PM

I took advantage of the extra $10 credit yesterday. I got $81.50 in credit from these 6 xbox 360 games -

Bullet Witch, Eternal Sonata, Oblivion GOTY, CSI hard evidence, Mass Effect, Thrillville OTR

I got those games in an xbox 360 elite bundle I bought off a guy on Craigslist. Got a GREAT deal, even better that I was able to trade those games I didn't want for credit on games I'd buy anyway.

CL is great to sell but a lot of times you get flakers, low ballers, or just creepy people.
Old 10-29-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
www.gametz.com
Old 10-29-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trevor, it is going on right now and expires on 11/2 I believe. Also, it only applies to games with trade in values > $1. Knowing GS, I'm sure they won't cut me a break if a game has a TIV of $0.75.
It only applies to 'current gen' titles that are >$1 trade in.
Old 10-29-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's what I do...the K2Killer method...

I tape each game to the inside of a long, black trench coat. Then I strip down completely, put the coat with the games inside on, and find a playground or school. Then I'll ask the kiddies if they like video games...and show them what I got.
Old 10-29-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can one infer from that that there are "current gen" titles that have a TIV < $1? If so, that just proves the system is broken for the seller.
Old 10-29-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks everyone! I checked out Goozex but not really sure how it is supposed to work. Seems like there are queues like Netflix or something.
I also am not 100% clear on this... let me see if this is how it works:

Lets say I have a game that I don't want... perhaps Cooking Mama from Wii. I list it under my account as available. If someone wants it they have to spend x points (and points are set by Goozex, not by the user right?) and $1. I get those points, and Goozex gets the $1. So then I can list a game that I want, and as long as I have enough points Goozex will find a person who has it available and then my points are reduced by that amount and Goozex will charge me $1.

If that's accurate, then it does seem like a good way to go... although I assume there's shipping charges that have to be paid by me when I ship out a game... which kind of sucks, as I'm actually out cash when I "trade" a game... of course that's the same as if I were to trade games in the trade forum as well.

Last edited by C-Mart; 10-29-08 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Shoot, with the Gamestop/Cellfire coupons right now, an extra 30% back on trade-ins is definitely worth it!
Old 10-29-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777
Shoot, with the Gamestop/Cellfire coupons right now, an extra 30% back on trade-ins is definitely worth it!
I used the cellfire (and Edge card combo) in conjunction w/ the B2G1F sale to pick up Dead Space for PS3 for ~$12 in credit when wall was said and done.
Old 10-29-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by C-Mart
I also am not 100% clear on this... let me see if this is how it works:

Lets say I have a game that I don't want... perhaps Cooking Mama from Wii. I list it under my account as available. If someone wants it they have to spend x points (and points are set by Goozex, not by the user right?) and $1. I get those points, and Goozex gets the $1. So then I can list a game that I want, and as long as I have enough points Goozex will find a person who has it available and then my points are reduced by that amount and Goozex will charge me $1.

If that's accurate, then it does seem like a good way to go... although I assume there's shipping charges that have to be paid by me when I ship out a game... which kind of sucks, as I'm actually out cash when I "trade" a game... of course that's the same as if I were to trade games in the trade forum as well.
There are also queues to both receive a game and trade a game to others. When you come up in the list to receive a game, if you don't have enough points and/or trade credits you get dropped back in queue. When you come up to trade a game you have X hours to confirm that you will trade the game, I think it's 24 or 26 or something and then up to 3 days to ship it out. I say to always ship it with delivery confirmation because there are asshats out there.
Old 10-29-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
I say to always ship it with delivery confirmation because there are asshats out there.
They have to confirm receipt on the site before you get your points?
Old 10-29-08, 10:09 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by starseed1981
+1
Old 10-30-08, 04:50 AM
cck

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Here's what I do...the K2Killer method...

I tape each game to the inside of a long, black trench coat. Then I strip down completely, put the coat with the games inside on, and find a playground or school. Then I'll ask the kiddies if they like video games...and show them what I got.
Your sense of humor needs work. Lots of it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.