Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD recorder recs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 06:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
DVD recorder recs?

Anyone recommend a (relatively) inexpensive DVD recorder?

my pregnant wife will most likely hospitalized within the next couple of weeks, likely for the remainder of her pregnancy...

Basically looking to record first run TV shows to burn on DVD so that she can stay up to date with her favorite shows and play them on the laptop that she has... what features should I look for?
Old 10-27-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
tivo
Old 10-27-08, 08:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

wow. yeah. great. helpful.

anyone else care to actually answer my question?
Old 10-27-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One inexpensive way to do this is to get a TV card for your computer, unless of course your only computer is at the hospital with the wife then I guess that wouldn't help at all.
Old 10-28-08, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Anyone recommend a (relatively) inexpensive DVD recorder?
Define relatively inexpensive A few months ago, I picked up the Toshiba D-R410 for just under $100 at Circuit City. It's pretty easy to use and I like it. I think my only beef with it would be the lack of flexible recording speeds. You have 1 hour, 2 hour and so on but I would've like an FR mode like the Panasonics have. I can't vouch for picture quality above 2 hours per disc, however. For what you're going to do with it, I would recommend it. It would be perfect for TV shows and movies.

Hope this helps a little,

Sue
Old 10-28-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you prefer the flex recording and great quality at 4 hour times, check out a Panny. Panny is also the one that allows for DVD-RAM, which would be the best disc technology for time-shifting.
Old 10-28-08, 08:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigSue
Define relatively inexpensive A few months ago, I picked up the Toshiba D-R410 for just under $100 at Circuit City. It's pretty easy to use and I like it. I think my only beef with it would be the lack of flexible recording speeds. You have 1 hour, 2 hour and so on but I would've like an FR mode like the Panasonics have. I can't vouch for picture quality above 2 hours per disc, however. For what you're going to do with it, I would recommend it. It would be perfect for TV shows and movies.

Hope this helps a little,

Sue

thanks Sue... I might grab one at CC or Best Buy and play around with it this weekend to see if it will suit my needs...
Old 10-28-08, 09:05 PM

My Circuit City was discontinuing DVD recorders that didn't also contain a VCR and that's how I got it for a decent price. I think they normally run $110-$120 (I should've been more clear on that, sorry). I have seen it on sale for $100-$110 so hopefully you'll be able to find one. I forgot to mention that the Tosh doesn't have a tuner. I use the cable box to pick the channel so you can't watch one channel and record on another.

I do have a Panasonic, also. It's the Panasonic DMR-EA18K (tuner-less) that I purchased from Target for $159 (on-sale). I haven't hooked this one up yet, I'm only going to use it to archive some VHS tapes which Panasonics do very well. My previous Panasonic (with hard drive) croaked and, while I'm going to have it repaired, I just wanted to mention that it was a very glitchy machine. I learned to work around it I'm hoping that this newer Panasonic isn't as temperamental as the old one.

Sue
Old 10-29-08, 03:12 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigSue
My Circuit City was discontinuing DVD recorders that didn't also contain a VCR and that's how I got it for a decent price. I think they normally run $110-$120 (I should've been more clear on that, sorry). I have seen it on sale for $100-$110 so hopefully you'll be able to find one. I forgot to mention that the Tosh doesn't have a tuner. I use the cable box to pick the channel so you can't watch one channel and record on another.

I do have a Panasonic, also. It's the Panasonic DMR-EA18K (tuner-less) that I purchased from Target for $159 (on-sale). I haven't hooked this one up yet, I'm only going to use it to archive some VHS tapes which Panasonics do very well. My previous Panasonic (with hard drive) croaked and, while I'm going to have it repaired, I just wanted to mention that it was a very glitchy machine. I learned to work around it I'm hoping that this newer Panasonic isn't as temperamental as the old one.

Sue

I don't need the tuner... I plan on just dumping stuff already recorded off of my DVR onto a DVD for her to watch in the hospital... thanks again for the responses Sue.