Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Using Premium DVD Packaging/Boxes For Blu-Ray/DVD Upgrade Discs? Anyone Else Do This?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Using Premium DVD Packaging/Boxes For Blu-Ray/DVD Upgrade Discs? Anyone Else Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is the right section or not(DVD Talk or HD Talk?)Mods, If it is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it

I was just wondering if anyone else has started doing this. I just recently started buying Blu-Ray movies and like the HDDVD packaging, I wasn't all too happy about it.

So now when I upgrade I tend to think of what packaging I have that is nicer than the Blu-Ray version.

For instance, I bought Cars on Blu-Ray and I remembered I had the Best Buy exclusive toy car packaging as well as the BBV tin casing to choose from.

Do you guys plan on keeping the packaging and boxes from some of your old DVD's to store your upgrades??

I sometimes do this with regular DVD to DVD upgrades as well. Like the Universal Monsters Boxed Set with the busts..I sold my old Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman for the new golden anniversary upgrades and packed those in the box instead.

Now I know there are probably some purists on here that don't like to tamper with sets for integrity's sake but I'd still like to know if anyone else here has done stuff like this with their collections when upgrading to Blu-Ray and even special edition dvd's. Any ideas or thoughts?

Some that come to mind are

The Ultimate Matrix Bust Case
Some of New Lines 2 Disc SE's(Se7en, Boogie Nights)
Warner Bros 2 Disc SE's
Reservoir Dogs Gas Can Packaging
Pulp Fiction
Tombstone SE
Enter The Dragon
Day Of The Dead

And of course many of the steelbook covers.

Here are a few pics I took with my crappy camera phone.

Old 10-24-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
As mentioned in a previous thread, I sometimes tend to make my own "special" editions by combinding multiple releases, or throwing in bonus discs, etc. Pretty good idea on that Matrix bust, I never thought of that. I have my bust set and HD-DVD set seperate.
Old 10-24-08, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
As mentioned in a previous thread, I sometimes tend to make my own "special" editions by combinding multiple releases, or throwing in bonus discs, etc. Pretty good idea on that Matrix bust, I never thought of that. I have my bust set and HD-DVD set seperate.
I can still remember when I got my free dvd's when I bought my first player(Stepmom...bleh). When DVD first hit the scene there wasn't much creativity as far as packaging goes. It took a while before we started seeing some really creative ideas in the packaging of dvd media.

I have only seen a few Blu Ray releases with some sort of special packaging(Target Indiana Jones, Target Iron Man, Japan Region 2 Matrix Ultimate Collection). Everything else is regular casing...which isn't bad but there are some sets and packages that really breathe life into a collection..especially in a media room setting.

Those of you who are upgrading to Blu Ray, are you keeping your dvd duplicates or are you getting rid of them??
Old 10-24-08, 10:24 AM

Not really what you are talking about, but I removed my Star Trek TOS1 HD DVD set and put the discs in an aftermarket 10 pack DVD case. Also thinking of doing the same with the Blu-ray Godfather set, I'm going to break a disc getting them out of that crap case.
Old 10-24-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I leave my BDs in whatever case the studio puts them in. I don't mix them up with any DVD packaging.
Old 10-24-08, 12:19 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. I do this with alot of my exclusive packaging. For example, I put my Transformer blu-rays disc into my Transformer Steelbook. I always try to figure out a way to combine or repackage my DVD and Blurays to make one special edition package.
Old 10-24-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I might place the Battlestar Galactica Season 1 HD-DVD's in my DVD case. That might be the only thing I'll try...
Old 10-24-08, 02:37 PM

I put my Batman Begins HD-DVD case and all into my deluxe DVD slipcase with the comic book. Fits a little loose, but it works. Gave the DVD to my parents.
Old 10-24-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would do this but it would probably annoy me somewhat to have a format labeled on the spine of the case or content marked on the back of the case that doesn't match the contents on the discs.
Old 10-24-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Couldn't do it, I'd have no use for the bastardized result... resale value would be practically zero. For much the same reason, I have absolutely no use for custom artwork either, no matter how much better it looks.
Old 10-24-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I replaced the Cloverfield DVD (which came in a Steelbook) with the Blu-ray version. The discs look the same and I gave the DVD to my grandmother, intentionally without any kind of cover art or indication as to what the film is about so she'll have no idea what will be happening when she sees it, along with anyone else she lends the DVD to.
Old 10-25-08, 10:50 PM

I did it for The Incredible HULK. I bought the Target exclusive 3D 3-Disc HULK standard dvd set that has Hulks hands coming through a brick wall, it slides open to reveal hulk. I gave the standard DVD to my father-in-law and stored the BR in the case. Looks cool next to the Iron-man Mask case.
Old 10-26-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
I would do this but it would probably annoy me somewhat to have a format labeled on the spine of the case or content marked on the back of the case that doesn't match the contents on the discs.
Kinda like a thorn in the back of your mind, eh?

Some of the packages I have been looking at have the "DVD" label but most of the time it's so small you have to squint your eyes to find it.

I tend to weigh it out. For example, I had bought the Conan The Barbarian SE because of the new transfer and extras(and that awesome MONO soundtrack lol!)but opted to keep the old jacket because it had the original poster art. I only replaced the inserts containing the chapter selection/extras info. The new art on the SE cover was garbage imo, so sticking with the original was a better choice.

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Couldn't do it, I'd have no use for the bastardized result... resale value would be practically zero. For much the same reason, I have absolutely no use for custom artwork either, no matter how much better it looks.
Well, I am sure there are many members here who have no plans on selling off their discs. On the contrary I'd go on to think that using combo packaging may even increase the value...especially if the buyer is a fan of the movie.

I guess you can call this a form of a "hot rod" media hobby similar to how car enthusiasts modify the stock OEM cars..and depending on who you ask the "mods" done to the package can be seen as an upgrade or a desecration...some people are complete OEM stock junkies and would never ever do any kind of mod to their cars because of resale value. Sounds like the same applies to media as well
Old 10-26-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are some of the examples I was talking about. Oh, and I finally bought a camera!