Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A Christmas Story (Ultimate Set) BD - Lossless and New Extras nixed

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 11:35 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Sigh

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1627...story_uce.html

'A Christmas Story' hits Blu-ray for the second time in this 'Ultimate Collector's Edition.' It reuses the same 1080p/VC-1 encode (1.85:1) as the previous Blu-ray and HD DVD editions.
So, what's new here? In short, nothing -- only the packaging has been upgraded to a big green monster of a cookie tin. Inside, you'll find a "Holiday Starter Kit", which boasts a Leg Lamp stand, cookie cutters, a 48-page holiday cookbook and a chef's apron. As for the disc's contents, they are exactly the same. Sadly, some of the previously-announced new extras for this set, including "Triple Dog Dare" interactive trivia and a "Decoder Match Challenge" interactive game, are nowhere to be found
I know someone who has the 1 disc version as well as confirmed it for me. Looks like they just slapped new coverart on the 1 Discer and the "Ultimate Edition" is just a tin, booklet, and some cookie cutters.

The original press release mentioned not only the new extras but

Tech specs include a BD-50 dual-layer presentation with 1080p/VC-1 video and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround.
Old 10-23-08, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think this is correct. The cookbook, apron, and cookie cutters come in the DVD set. The Blu-ray only includes a string of leg-lamp Christmas lights.
Old 10-23-08, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mike Long
I don't think this is correct. The cookbook, apron, and cookie cutters come in the DVD set. The Blu-ray only includes a string of leg-lamp Christmas lights.
The HDD Review says it includes:
Inside, you'll find a "Holiday Starter Kit", which boasts a Leg Lamp stand, cookie cutters, a 48-page holiday cookbook and a chef's apron
Old 10-23-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
This is the original press release:
A CHRISTMAS STORY
ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

ON DVD & BLU-RAY™ HI- DEF NOVEMBER 4

Retro Tin Packaging Includes Great Goodies Perfect for Gift-Giving Season

Burbank, Calif., July 7, 2008 – On November 4, Warner Home Video serves up an old-fashioned holiday treat with DVD and Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Ultimate Collector’s Editions of celebrated humorist Jean Shepherd’s A Christmas Story to commemorate the film’s 25th Anniversary. Ingredients in the Two-Disc DVD version ($39.99 SRP) include five collectible cookie cutters in iconic Christmas Story shapes; a 48-page cook book filled with recipes inspired by the film; photos and quotes and a custom-designed chef’s apron.

All will be festively packaged in a collectible retro holiday cookie tin. Also in a nostalgic tin, A Christmas Story UCE Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($49.99 SRP) will include a Leg Lamp light strand.

The stand alone, previously released single versions of the film are also available. The previously released Two-Disc Special Edition ($26.99 SRP) will be available in new Amaray packing. A Christmas Story Blu-ray™ Hi-Def will sell for $28.99 SRP.

About A Christmas Story

A Christmas Story, a nostalgic view of Christmastime in Indiana during the 1940s, stars Peter Billingsley as Ralphie, a nine-year-old who has only one thing on his Christmas list: a Red Ryder Carbine-Action 200-Shot Air Rifle. With his parents unwilling to buy him the gun because he might “shoot his eye out,” Ralphie decides to mount a full-scale, hint-dropping, Santa-begging campaign. He also endures a slew of calamities from snowsuit paralysis to the dreaded tongue-on-a-frozen-flagpole gambit. The New York Times calls A Christmas Story, “maybe the best Christmas movie ever.”

Special Features:
Disc 1
· Feature film (Widescreen)
Disc 2
· Commentary with Peter Billingsley and director/ co-writer Bob Clark
· Original readings by Jean Shepard, author and voice narrator of A Christmas Story
· Documentary: Another Christmas Story
· Featurette: Get a Leg Up
· Featurette: A History of the Daisy Red Ryder
· Triple Dog Dare Interactive Trivia
· Decoder Match Challenge
· Hidden “Presents”
· Original theatrical trailer

The Blu-ray™ Hi-Def edition will include the same special features all on one disc.

A Christmas Story Ultimate Collector’s Edition

Street Date: November 4, 2008
$39.99 SRP
Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Catalog
$49.99 SRP

A Christmas Story Two-Disc Special Edition
$26.99 SRP

A Christmas Story Blu-ray™ Hi-Def
$28.99 SRP

Feature Running Time: 93 minutes -- Rated: PG
16x9 Widescreen
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Where does it mention BD50, lossless or even 5.1 sound, or new extras?
Old 10-23-08, 11:55 AM

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:
I've got the Blu-ray set sitting right in front of me. Blu-ray Disc, Leg-lamp lights, green tin, and that's it.
Old 10-23-08, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kefrank

The Blu-ray™ Hi-Def edition will include the same special features all on one disc.
(Taken from the press release)

Sadly, some of the previously-announced new extras for this set, including "Triple Dog Dare" interactive trivia and a "Decoder Match Challenge" interactive game, are nowhere to be found.
I'm just reporting whats mentioned in the review at HDD.

It appears there were several (once again) misleading announcements that mentioned different specs for not only audio, but disc size and extras.
Old 10-23-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It appears there were several (once again) misleading announcements that mentioned different specs for not only audio, but disc size and extras.
I'm just surprised, because I thought it was common knowledge that this was just a repackaging of the original Blu-ray release. Not sure if I knew that from thedigitalbits or somewhere else, but it was made pretty apparent around the time of the announcement.
Old 10-23-08, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Warnerbros.com mentions new extras:
http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=50425
Special Features: Feature film (Widescreen) · Commentary with Peter Billingsley and director/ co-writer Bob Clark · Original readings by Jean Shepard, author and voice narrator of A Christmas Story · Documentary: Another Christmas Story · Featurette: Get a Leg Up · Featurette: A History of the Daisy Red Ryder · Triple Dog Dare Interactive Trivia · Decoder Match Challenge · Hidden “Presents” · Original theatrical trailer
From another Warner press release:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Packaging/1903
Now the full details of the box set are in, and it looks to be the most full-fledged release yet of the perennial favorite. "Festively packaged" in a collectible retro holiday cookie tin, included are five collectible cookie cutters in iconic 'Christmas Story' shapes; a 48-page cook book filled with recipes inspired by the film; photos and quotes and a custom-designed chef's apron. (Exclusive to the Blu-ray box set is an additional Leg Lamp light stand.)
From Wal-Mart.com
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10339852
Special Holiday Collectible! String of Leg-Lamp Holiday Lights Inside Charming Tin Canister; 50 + Page Recipe Book With Festive Film Photos; 5 Cookie Cutters Inspired by the Film (Leg Lamp, Bunny Suit, House, Turkey, Star) and a Custom Chef's Apron Designed Especially for This Collection; "Magical Making of 'Christmas Story'"; "Get A Leg Up" and "Daisy Red Ryder: A History" Featurettes, Actor Commentary, Behind The Scenes Featurette, Director Commentary.
http://christmasnewswire.com/2008/07...ry-on-blu-ray/
Warner Home Video has revealed final specs and box art for its double dip of ‘A Christmas Story,’ which will hit Blu-ray this November with hours of bonus materials and deluxe holiday-themed packaging.

Now the full details of the box set are in, and it looks to be the most full-fledged release yet of the perennial favorite. “Festively packaged” in a collectible retro holiday cookie tin, included are five collectible cookie cutters in iconic ‘Christmas Story’ shapes; a 48-page cook book filled with recipes inspired by the film; photos and quotes and a custom-designed chef’s apron. (Exclusive to the Blu-ray box set is an additional Leg Lamp light stand.)

Extras shared between the Blu-ray and DVD boast audio commentary with Peter Billingsley and Clark, original story readings by Jean Shepard (author and voice narrator of ‘A Christmas Story’), the “Another Christmas Story” documentary, a pair of featurettes ( “Get a Leg Up,” “A History of the Daisy Red Ryder”), “Triple Dog Dare” interactive trivia, a “Decoder Match Challenge” interactive game, additional “Hidden Presents” and the theatrical trailer.

Tech specs include a BD-50 dual-layer presentation with 1080p/VC-1 video and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. (At presstime, no high-res audio option has been confirmed, but we’ll keep you posted.)

Finally, Warner has issued the final Blu-ray box art for ‘A Christmas Story: Ultimate Collector’s Edition”:

Last edited by Gizmo; 10-23-08 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Gizmo, why is it that you always seem to be the bearer of bad news?

And, what happened to the "Word of Warning!" that should be in your thread title?

Old 10-23-08, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by clappj
Gizmo, why is it that you always seem to be the bearer of bad news?

And, what happened to the "Word of Warning!" that should be in your thread title?

My job is slow...very slow

But this title is going to be shipping fairly soon so I wanted to warn people ahead of time that the new Special Features were dropped, the 5.1 dropped, the additon extras, dropped. Only thing that is new is the tin and leg lamp lights. Was going to give my HD DVD copy away to the folks if the new BD had 5.1...so now that has changed. Its apparently the same disc used from 2 years ago.
Old 10-23-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Well the good news is that this is the last disc I had on pre-order from the Warner store. I won't be pre-ordering any Warner discs in the future until I get full confirmation from reviewers. Very dissapointing Warner.
Old 10-23-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I'm just surprised, because I thought it was common knowledge that this was just a repackaging of the original Blu-ray release. Not sure if I knew that from thedigitalbits or somewhere else, but it was made pretty apparent around the time of the announcement.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa158.html

Check out 7/8/08.
Old 10-23-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Thanks. I thought that might be where I saw it.
Old 10-23-08, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Looks like TDB is the only place that mentioned this. Over at HDD that are several angry posters that remember all the extras, lossless and promise of a new encode. Way too many sites have the wrong information, including Warnerbros.com

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...ml#post1246685
Old 10-23-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious WB does not have very good control over who says what to who.

TDB seems to have an accurate source; meanwhile, the group responsible for press releases can't get their shit together, or is being lied to.
Old 10-23-08, 05:17 PM
Suspended

I think it's pretty obvious WB does not have very good control over who says what to who.

TDB seems to have an accurate source; meanwhile, the group responsible for press releases can't get their shit together, or is being lied to.
Yeah

Bummer since this was the one WB title I was willing to double-dip on simply for the 5.1 (or lossless) track. The extras are not that important to me, but I imagine they might be for others. Shame we get shafted again by Warner.
Old 10-23-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Warner seems to be giving their Holiday boxsets the shaft on BR. I read yesterday that JFK won't include any of the extras that the SD giftset is including.
Old 10-23-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amen to that. If there's one thing we know about WB from their Blu-ray announcements and releases, it's that communication within that company is fubar.
Old 10-23-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Long
You are correct sir. Got the screener from Warners today.
Old 10-23-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh well, I had no plans of getting this "Special " Edition, but at least it looks like it doesn't say "Hi-Def Sound" on the front like Bonnie and Clyde, Ocean's Trilogy, Cuckoo's Nest, etc. does.

Once again, fuck Warner.
Old 10-23-08, 06:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Oh well, I had no plans of getting this "Special " Edition, but at least it looks like it doesn't say "Hi-Def Sound" on the front like Bonnie and Clyde, Ocean's Trilogy, Cuckoo's Nest, etc. does.

Once again, fuck Warner.

I never noticed that banner on DD5.1 Warner releases. That's just sad.
Old 11-02-08, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never plan on upgrading until the deleted Flash Gordon fantasy sequence was included anyway.
Old 11-02-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Yep.
Old 11-02-08, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I was one of those who thought all along that it would be the same disc. From the beginning, I just didn't think they would remix the film for 5.1 now when (if possible) they could have done so for the SE DVD.

However, this was before the announcements of double dips of I Am Legend and The Polar Express, so maybe today I'd be more inclined to believe an announcement of a title with different specs.
Old 11-06-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Warner seems to be giving their Holiday boxsets the shaft on BR. I read yesterday that JFK won't include any of the extras that the SD giftset is including.
Way to promote your new format, huh?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.