Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 'Washed out' screen?

joe_balk
10-21-08, 11:59 PM
I have gone through three dvd players in the past two years. They work fine and then one day the screen just 'washes' out. There is less color and it's just generally white-ish. I'm certain it's not my TV. My theory is it's from playing too many animated DVD's. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know about this 'wash out' phenomenon?

beebs
10-22-08, 12:11 AM
The DVD player fails due to playing too much animated content? I don't think this is possible. But three players failing in the exact same way -- that points at something else being the problem. Have you tried these players on another TV?

-beebs

Brian Shannon
10-22-08, 07:33 AM
What kind of player(s)? How long are they running for? Is the room dusty, dirty or smoky? Is there a heat issue around the player? Have you checked the connections on the player and the tv, they can work loose over time?

Mr. Salty
10-22-08, 07:47 PM
My theory is it's from playing too many animated DVD's.
I guess it's possible that the vibrant colors of animation could be using up your DVD player's ink cartridges more quickly.

joe_balk
10-22-08, 11:23 PM
It sounds crazy I know. I've tried different TV's with no success. I've tried the connections, having had some success with stereos using that technique. Mr. Salty, I'm curious about your suggestion. DVD players have ink cartridges? Are they replacable? Is it worth replacing them? Are some DVD players known for having better, longer ink than others? I have been prone to buying cheap players. I hesitate to buy an expensive one becuase it might do the same 'wash out' as the cheaper ones.

joe_balk
10-22-08, 11:24 PM
Mr. Salty, I'm curious about your suggestion. DVD players have ink cartridges? Are they replacable? Is it worth replacing them? Are some DVD players known for having better, longer ink than others?

van der graaf
10-23-08, 12:16 AM
Mr. Salty, I'm curious about your suggestion. DVD players have ink cartridges? Are they replacable? Is it worth replacing them? Are some DVD players known for having better, longer ink than others?

Dude, he is fucking with ya.

Mikael79
10-23-08, 12:25 AM
Seriously, someone was recently banned or suspended, and this is their idea of a joke.

It has to be.

Mr. Salty
10-23-08, 05:24 PM
Dude, he is fucking with ya.

You're no fun.

ernestrp
10-26-08, 06:14 PM
I guess it's possible that the vibrant colors of animation could be using up your DVD player's ink cartridges more quickly.

rotfl

Kurtie Dee
10-26-08, 08:21 PM
Slap on the wrist, Joe Balk. Slap on the wrist all of you. Now let's move on. My refrigerator's running and I have to go catch it.

X
10-26-08, 11:15 PM
Slap on the wrist, Joe Balk. Slap on the wrist all of you. Now let's move on. My refrigerator's running and I have to go catch it.Do you have pig's feet in that refrigerator?

Kurtie Dee
10-26-08, 11:51 PM
Do you have pig's feet in that refrigerator?

why, yes! Why do you ask?

X
10-27-08, 12:04 AM
why, yes! Why do you ask?Because if you put on your shoes nobody would notice!

Kurtie Dee
10-27-08, 12:11 AM
Because if you put on your shoes nobody would notice!

Thank you everybody! We'll be here all week!

X
10-27-08, 01:14 AM
Thank you everybody! We'll be here all week!Actually, I'm booked tomorrow, opening for Carrot Top at the Luxor. And then Gallagher on the 1st at the beautiful Star Plaza Theatre.

But I'll be back as soon as I can!