Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Rock Bands/ Artists Are Future Slam-Dunk First-Ballot Rock & Roll Inductees?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Which Rock Bands/ Artists Are Future Slam-Dunk First-Ballot Rock & Roll Inductees?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

This is a spin off of the other R&R HOF thread. Looking at what's out there, I'm wondering which groups and performers not yet eligible (25 years after their first album) will be absolute first ballot inductees. It seems to me for the first time, that there are very few that are near-automatic selections. So instead on focusing on the dozens and dozens of worthy bands and artists unfairly snubbed so far (and I feel most inductees in the upcoming years will be older bands previously passed over), I wanted to try and look ahead. Here are a few of my thoughts:

Absolutely In:

Green Day -- Went from "unlikely" to "slam-dunk" with American Idiot, the best R&R album this decade.

Beastie Boys -- Fusing Rock with Rap and huge critical acclaim. Probably could get in on the strength of Sabotage alone.

Red Hot Chili Peppers -- Hard rocking for a long time. Many hit singles and a few huge albums. Bunch of Grammys to back their legitimacy

The E Street Band -- Sort of a cheat, they're not eligible yet only because their name didn't appear on a Springsteen album until his 1986 live box set. Will be admitted to correct their exclusion with the Boss' induction.

Pearl Jam -- In my opinion, the one lock from Grunge. The argument of PJ vs Nirvana will likely go on forever, but their longevity gives them the inside track here.

Likely In:

Nirvana -- Only two major studio albums, but the genre-defining one counts for a lot.

Foo Fighters -- Grohl's other band. Fifteen years and a huge following. No truly iconic album, but a string of hits and solid albums. Hope they make it.

Radiohead -- Not an enormous commercial success, but absolute critical darlings and a pretty big discography so far.

Lenny Kravitz -- Rock & Soul icon. One of the last solo rock legends.

Sheryl Crow -- Maybe not such a critical favorite, but an impressive string of hits and you know that the HOF wants to honor women rockers to keep things looking more even (see Blondie, Ronnie Specter, Dusty Springfield).

Maybe they'll get in:

Coldplay -- Solid Band. Critical praise and commercial hits. Not a big enough catalog yet.

Beck -- Creative genius. Big catalog. He's got a chance despite not having a huge string of hits and not considered a rock icon.

So there are a few of my thoughts. What are yours?

Last edited by Decker; 10-21-08 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-21-08, 08:54 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Radiohead are a slam dunk. So are Nirvana, given the iconic status of Nevermind. Hard to imagine The White Stripes not getting in.
Old 10-21-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Green Day? A slam dunk?

I don't think so...

(Look at all the 70's icons who aren't in. Many of those icons had success in the 80's as well, and are still around playing to packed houses today - and yet they still aren't in. If they aren't, Green Day is no slam dunk.)
Old 10-21-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Compare Green Day peers with Green Day, though. Those iconic 70s artists you're referring to had stiff competition.

Green Day will get in on their own merits, should American Idiot be remembered in 10 years. They will need another major impact, though. Dookie & AI might not be enough by then.
Old 10-21-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I wouldn't call Lenny Kravitz "likely".
Old 10-21-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green Day...no. I like them, but I don't feel they merit it.

Beck, yes. Beasties, yes. Radiohead, yes. Nirvana, yes, but only because of their impact, not for their actual music. Iffy is Pearl Jam, because they are relevant and are amazing artists, but I am not sure if they have the "it" the Hall should have.

No to all others.
Old 10-21-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I think that Pearl Jam and RHCP are the closest to sure things on the OP's list.
Old 10-21-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
You honestly think Foo Fighters & Lenny Kravitz will be in before Bon Jovi?

And how can you not count Guns N Roses as a future definite?
Old 10-21-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
You honestly think Foo Fighters & Lenny Kravitz will be in before Bon Jovi?

And how can you not count Guns N Roses as a future definite?
Maybe because he didn't think of those bands. I don't think his list was written after he had carefully weighed each and every band that hasn't been around for 25 years yet.

But you already knew that, so I guess point proven..?
Old 10-21-08, 10:04 AM

Yeah, I hadn't thought about GNR off the top of my head. I think they're likely, but not definite because of their limited output, same as Nirvana. A truly great Chinese Democracy would of course help put them back on the map, but even a total disaster wouldn't hurt their chances since no one really considers this version the real GNR.

Bon Jovi has very little chance. They may be the best 80's hair band out there, but it's not a period of rock that's well regarded by critics and I can't see them getting in -- certainly not first ballot.

One band I would vote for is The Cure. They're already eligible and there's no big movement to put them in, but I think that the 80's New Wave music should be at least recognized and they're probably the best choice. Won't happen though.

Maybe in retrospect, Kravitz and Foo Fighters should be moved down to the Maybe category. I think both have a good chance. There are very few solo acts on the horizon to be inducted and I think they want to continue to honor great Rock & Roll singer/songwriters.
Old 10-21-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Beastie Boys will get in but they were not even on the nominating ballot this year (after being on it last year in their first year of eligibility).

The RHCP were eligible this year but were not on the ballot. They will definitely get in within a few years.
Old 10-21-08, 12:45 PM

Oh, didn't know that about the Beasties. Like most, I thought their career started with License To Ill in 1984. In any case, there's no reason not to induct them. I have nothing against Grand Master Flash or Run DMC, but if they are worthy of induction, there can really be no argument made against the Beasties -- they've had larger hits, a longer career, have more social causes and were arguably more influential (at least in the realm of rap/rock crossover).
Old 10-21-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are so many artists in rock n roll hall of fame that I've never heard of... I don't think I'd be a good judge. However, I will say that there are probably at least 30 other more likely candidates over Lenny Kravitz including Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains, and Oasis.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 10-21-08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-21-08, 06:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Whose knobs have RS slobbed over and over again over the past 25 years?

There's your answer.
Old 10-21-08, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
Whose knobs have RS slobbed over and over again over the past 25 years?

There's your answer.

Barack Obama, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee, 2032.
Old 10-21-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Bon Jovi has very little chance. They may be the best 80's hair band out there, but it's not a period of rock that's well regarded by critics and I can't see them getting in -- certainly not first ballot.
I agree, Bon Jovi were and still are very commercially successful but critically they're on the same boat as Journey, Kiss, Foreigner, Styx and co. I can't see them getting in any time soon, although they do have the "huge superstar" thing that could help get them inducted before some of their peers since they are the type of "A-List superstar" act to sell dinner tickets ala U2, Prince, The Police and Madonna
Old 10-21-08, 09:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

not to go terribly off topic...but 3 covers in 6 months? I thought I subscribed to a music magazine!
Old 10-21-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Journey is not in the Hall of Fame? Dead. To. Me.
Old 10-21-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Well he has won two Grammys
Old 10-21-08, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nirvana- sure as the sun rises.

Radiohead- oh yeah, no question.

Beastie Boys- yes because they were on the front line.

Foo Fighters- oh yeah, Dave has did so much for rock. not to mention all solid albums with multiple Grammy wins, and tons of hits.

Pearl Jam- yeah because they were on the front line of "Grunge".. I hate that word. Great band nonetheless

Green Day- not as sure as the others, but pretty sure.

RHCP- yes but I just dont know about them...

Beck- Yes because he is original and loved by critics for the most part. Good stuff usually.

those are just the ones I care to comment on.
Old 10-22-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The E Street Band will never be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Old 10-22-08, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
The E Street Band will never be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
We'll see, I guess. All the articles at the time of Springsteen's induction mentioned the reason that the E Street Band wasn't inducted was that album title rule and all the articles made it pretty clear they were expecting them to go in in 2011. I suppose the writers could feel that Springsteen's induction was already a de facto induction of the E Street Band as well, but you can't tell me that the band doesn't warrant Hall of Fame honors because they're likely the best live Rock and Roll band ever.
Old 10-22-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Lenny Kravitz -- Rock & Soul icon. One of the last solo rock legends.
I fucking hate this phrase, but EPIC FAIL.

Kravitz has never been liked by critics, generally written off as a derivative hack more known for looks/posturing than actual talent. Legend? Not even close. And he's freakin' TERRIBLE live.
Old 10-22-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
I'm not a big Nirvana fan, tend to think they are overrated, but I don't see how anyone could think they weren't a lock for Hall of Fame induction. Some of you talk about them not having enough output, but the Hall of Fame just recently inducted The Sex Pistols. I would say that makes it clear that a band doesn't need a long discography for induction.

And I think there are quite a few on the OP's list that are far, far from a lock.
Old 10-22-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Nirvana is as easy a lock as one could imagine.

As much as I fucking loathe them/him and think they/he are/is completely devoid of talent... Nine Inch Nails too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.