Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer KURO PDP-6020FD _is this the way to go?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..I just sold my 62 inch dlp and looking at a vacant wall.
I got all the other gear and need a new tv.
This is floating around the price of $4,000 shipped at Amazon.
Is this the way to buy it? I don't see any other tvs that seem better choice.
I want the best tv at the best price...
I saw it at Costco for around the same price..but would have to pay tax and delivery to some one..Any advice/ experience ...or way to get even cheaper?
Old 10-20-08, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Personally I would not buy a tv at that price and have it shipped to me. Everyone wants the best tv at the best price. Get someone to help you bring it home so you don't have to pay for delivery.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 10-20-08 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have read the reviews at Amazon..if you go white glove delivery-they unpack and install and if tv not working or damaged they will take back..I have seen this tv advertised for under $3700 at Plasma Concepts shipped also...never have bought a huge item like this online either...anybody have luck with retailers lowering their price significantly for online prices.like Best Buy or Ken Crarnes etc?
Old 10-20-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
If you buy online you need to make sure the seller is an authorized retailer. If not your warranty is voided. I'm would definitely double check this before I threw down on a Pioneer Kuro.

Why not take that price over to BB and see if they can match or beat? Perhaps you could use Reward Zone as well and get enough cash for a free BR player to go with.

Also, that's a lot of money just to buy "the best for the price". If you're that concerned I'm not sure you would have bought a DLP in the frist place. Also, I'm sure others will say you can get the 58" Panasonic for a considerable amount less and still retain good picture quality.
Old 10-20-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

when I bought dlp 3 or 4 years ago ( I forget) things were lot more expensive and blu ray was not that abundant etc and 1080p was not all that common..plasmas were outrageous in price.
Now I really want to enjoy Blu ray and have a great presentation...from everything I read 24fps looks awesome on this..if I can get a great price..I think worth the investment..but that is why I am on this site to always maximize my dollars.. .
Old 10-20-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

while mine is an older model (the 5080), I can't speak highly enough of Kuro's picture. It's absolutely amazing.
Old 10-20-08, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
If you buy online you need to make sure the seller is an authorized retailer. If not your warranty is voided. I'm would definitely double check this before I threw down on a Pioneer Kuro.

Why not take that price over to BB and see if they can match or beat? Perhaps you could use Reward Zone as well and get enough cash for a free BR player to go with.

Also, that's a lot of money just to buy "the best for the price". If you're that concerned I'm not sure you would have bought a DLP in the frist place. Also, I'm sure others will say you can get the 58" Panasonic for a considerable amount less and still retain good picture quality.
So are you saying the Panny is as good (or close to ) as the Kuro? Why would you pick the Panny over the Kuro?
Old 10-20-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
So are you saying the Panny is as good (or close to ) as the Kuro? Why would you pick the Panny over the Kuro?
I wouldn't! The OP said:
I want the best tv at the best price...
I was only offering what many others, myself included, believe to be a good brand with a very good picture quality for the price. Is it the best? No, but it's also not the most expensive.

If Pioneer is Tier 1, then Panasonic is at the top of Tier 2, followed by the likes of Sylvania, Olevia, etc. in Tier 3. I'd put Sony and Samsung also towards the top of Tier 2 and Vizio at the bottom of 2 for reference.
Old 10-20-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To Clarify I want the "Best tv"... at the best price..
The Kuro based on reviews is the best...
The retail is $5500 but if can get under $4,000 out the door I am willing to step up and forgo the Panny..I think for 3-5 years enjoyment when you divide it out probally worth it..hoping someone has some experience buying a set like this online etc...things to avoid etc..Have not ruled out brick and mortar if they would match but at this price point even tax is nearly $300 bucks..