Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

FIFA 09 Anyone getting this???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIFA 09 Anyone getting this???

I know it's soccer and not a popular sport here but it came out today. Is anyone picking this up?

It has gotten great reviews so far, said to be the best soccer game made to date:

IGN Review:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/919/919800p1.html

I plan on picking this up today after work.
Old 10-15-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm getting it for sure. Plan on stopping by Toys R Us on the way home as part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal.
Old 10-15-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting this.

I'll also pay for the leagues updates. I'm that big of a fan. I think one is included in the game, but I'll pay for at least one more.
Old 10-15-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are the league updates? Same as a roster update? Or can we pay to add more leagues? I always thought the roster updates were free. Usually updated after the transfer window.

Edit: Ok figured it out. If you have to pay for each league individually that'll be pretty lame. I wouldn't mind a flat fee for all leagues as long as it's a reasonable price.

Last edited by slymer; 10-15-08 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You get a free trial. I want to see what impact it actually has on the game to see if it's worth it.
Old 10-15-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you get weekly updates on the players. If they are playing really well in real life they'll have a higher rating in your game and if they are playing bad or get injured that'd be reflected in the game.
Old 10-15-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ya I knew that, I just want to see if I can really tell the difference from week to week in the actual game before I purchase it
Old 10-15-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm going to check that too.

Btw, I'm getting the PS3 version, this is the only game where most of my friend are in that console. And according to an online review it works a little bit better.
Old 10-15-08, 07:15 PM

picked this up today.. have never played a soccer game.. but looks like it could be fun.. i'll play it later on tonight.
Old 10-16-08, 12:37 AM

played a couple of games tonight.. alot tougher than i thought it would be.. i could sure use more practice.. i'm playing with america from the mexican league.. now when i play online do i play vs other players that have a mexican league team? i don't think they would match up well vs teams from europe.
Old 10-16-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sergtv
played a couple of games tonight.. alot tougher than i thought it would be.. i could sure use more practice.. i'm playing with america from the mexican league.. now when i play online do i play vs other players that have a mexican league team? i don't think they would match up well vs teams from europe.

No, you play against whichever club they chose. Usually Arsenal, ManU, Barca, Inter.
Old 10-16-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sergtv
picked this up today.. have never played a soccer game.. but looks like it could be fun.. i'll play it later on tonight.
Are you at least familiar with the sport? This game is NOT arcadey and is very much a sim (at least as far as any game is out there) You really do need to have a strategy and tactics and understand the game to be really successful. It may take awhile but don't give up, it's a fun ass game.
Old 10-16-08, 11:14 PM

yea i understand the game.. i just have never played it on any console.. i practiced my shots on goal today.. i need to work on my dribbling, and my loft pass.. i'm a big fan of mexican league soccer.. not to familiar with any other leagues, any suggustions? I think i need to pick another team for online play.
Old 10-17-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sorry i wasnt trying to be condescending, i just wanted to stress how the game plays.

more than dribbling i would work on passing and through passing.

since youre new i would stick with the big four in EPL or barca, ac mila, inter milan. basically any team thats rated 4 1/2 stars or more. since 95% of the people you play online pick these teams anyways just go with them. if you see someone pick a normal middle of the road team try to match up rating wise with that team and then email me their gamertag!
Old 10-17-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I played yesterday and had more fun. I haven't played online yet. Tried the 10vs10 but there were only 4 people and got tired waiting for the game to start.

I was playing in World Class and was losing all the games so I put it back to semipro but it was too easy, so Professional for me.

I got the league updates for mexican league and was affected by this . I'm playing with Guadalajara and they are having a mediocre season, so the rating of all my players is going down. I had to change goalkeepers since the one in the game was already benched in real life. And yeah he was screwing up in the game too. So that sound pretty realistic for me.

So my advice, choose the league/team you are following more closely and you should be able to see how the game adapts to real life.
Old 10-17-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm debating on picking this up. I usually buy it every year, but I'm not sure about this one, since I didn't get to play '08 too much. Plus, with Gears coming and NHL 09 in my queue...but I need a soccer fix. Hmm...
Old 10-17-08, 11:36 AM

Raul.. i'm down for a america vs chivas match.
Old 10-17-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the PS3 version.
Old 10-17-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I'm debating on picking this up. I usually buy it every year, but I'm not sure about this one, since I didn't get to play '08 too much. Plus, with Gears coming and NHL 09 in my queue...but I need a soccer fix. Hmm...
its alot better than 08. they ramped up the physics to be really realistic and finally the players don't feel like they're on a rail. way better gameplay.
Old 10-19-08, 03:39 AM

Im curious about these updates that reflect whats happening in real life, with players who get injured in real life will get injured in the game etc, say you want to simulate your chosen team from the EPL to reflect how the standings are in real life, you choose ManUtd and you simulate 7 matches of ManUtds will the league standings be the exact same as they're in real life?

So if you simulate 8 EPL matches (7 for ManU and 7 other clubs) will that give you the real life league standings? I ask because most people would want those realistic league standings and which genius decided to release the game 6-8 weeks after the European leagues started? I believe that the game should've been released at the beginning of August.

About my question can anyone try simulating a league season upto todays date and get back to me letting me know if they reflect the real league standings for that league? I dont have the game, cheers.

Last edited by JHBulls; 10-19-08 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-19-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just traded in Fifa 08 yesterday for 09.I liked 08 a lot but 09 seems better in some ways although i wish EA could make games that dont slow down graphics wise(also a small prob with NHL 09).Anyway havent played much but i did try an online team match which wasnt bad although i hafta get used to that Pro cam or find a better one for me.

I havent bothered with the Live update thing or whatever its called.Dont really need to be that realistic and dont want to shell out more dough after buying a new game.But if i hear its worth it i might cave

I will stick with 09 least till PES 2009 comes out if thats better.I actually preferred their demo over Fifa 09.
Old 10-20-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The updates are for the players ratings, and I haven't checked, but maybe for the teams ratings too.

So if you simulate matches you'll see random results, not exactly the same as what's happening in real life.
Old 10-20-08, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3
The updates are for the players ratings, and I haven't checked, but maybe for the teams ratings too.

So if you simulate matches you'll see random results, not exactly the same as what's happening in real life.
Thats a shame but oh well i'll still buy it. Thanks.