Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Metropolitan Opera - HD Live - anyone been to these?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 01:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I know that when comparing Fanthom Events to the newer Sony Hot Tix shows: Cirque Du Soleil and Rent the general opinion is that they are seriousily substandard in hidef presentation. In the DC area, the are three theatres that don't even have standard 2K DLP digital systems to begin with:

AMC Mazza Gallerie
Regal Ballston Commons
National Amusement's Lee/Multiplex Cinemas

I would assume they are projecting the events on their advertisement projector systems - what a jip - they must look seriousily flawed

Participating theatres - Met Live in HD Series 08-09 - LIVE PERFORMANCES
Old 10-14-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Search is your friend.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-juliette.html
Old 10-15-08, 08:57 AM

thanks Decker, but that really didn't answer my question - if tix are around 22 dollars, why are they given potentially flawed hidef presentations, 20 bucks for the aforementioned Hot Tix shows in true 1080p HiDef from actual DLP units, sure, fine, but to fork out that much (or more) to see it projected by the advertisement digital systems, I don't think so.
Old 10-15-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It might be a slight waste of time, but I would go to one and speak with the manager beforehand and tell him your concern. If the picture is not adequate (and has that weird screen-door effect that their advertisement projector gives off), get a refund.
Old 10-15-08, 09:45 AM

I guess what bugs me, is that we have three national chains who have stated their plans to convert many theatres in their chains to go all digital, yet of the few that aren't, they are in the situation where the technology isn't adequate. If you aren't going to convert a theatre to true DLP specs, then don't bother, but to throw something on the screen that would look better on your home theatre system... well, you wonder why people just stay at home all the time in the first place.