Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice On Connecting Samsung BD-P1500

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently I have a Samsung HT-Z510T htib (I know , I know) connected to a Samsung LN40A550 screen via HDMI & optical cables, the optical being necessary because the sound from cable broadcasts cannot be fed through the htib receiver via the HDMI cable. I am considering buying my first BD player, a Samsung BD-P1500, but I'm not sure how the connections might work. The htib receiver has no HDMI or coax inputs, 1 optical input (being used), and 2 analog inputs. Per the specs it can handle Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II, and DTS. The BD players has an HDMI output, an optical output, and 2 analog outputs. It'll process Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby True HD but not DTS HD. If I connect the BD player directly to the TV via HDMI (there are 2 open in addition to the one being used), will it feed the surround sound output through the receiver? If not, what alternatives do I have? Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?
Old 10-14-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

since you dont have any digital audio inputs left on your receiver idk how you could do it. unless they make a switch for that. check monoprice.

since you know i will say it again. upgrade your audio quickly. hd-video is only half the battle.
Old 10-14-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They do make optical switches. This would give you high quality Dolby Digital or DTS standard from the 1500. It is downrezzed from TrueHD or DTS-MA, but it is actually higher bitrate than standard DVD, so pretty good. And when you do upgrade the audio, make sure you get a receiver that decodes DTS-MA to match up with the 1500.
Old 10-18-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HTiB are not fairing well in move to HDMI and with High Def audio.

-beebs