Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Chuck -- "Chuck Versus the Break-Up" -- 10/13/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Sarah's ex-flame and partner, Bryce Larkin (Matthew Bomer), makes an unforeseen return and goes undercover with Sarah as an overly affectionate couple, much to a jealous Chuck's chagrin. At Buy More, Morgan tangles with strip-mall bullies, headed by the menacing Mitt (former NFL star Michael Strahan).

Old 10-13-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Should be a funny episode especially with Strahan as a guest star.
Old 10-13-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
The Buy-More chick and the football player in a cage match -- classic. And Casey's phone call during the fight. Funniest stuff in the show. And I bought tripods just like that at Best Buy!
Old 10-13-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aside from the cage match, kind of a boring episode. Not even much funny stuff from Morgan.
Old 10-13-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the episode was up to par. Strahan was very funny. It seems like the show is going through growing pains and the writers want to take it in different directions, but they don't want to stray too far from the formula that works. I was enjoying the developing relationship with Chuck and Sarah, but I guess they have to keep it interesting but putting the wedge between them again.
Old 10-13-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
*casual phone call* "I need a background on one Anna Wu"
Old 10-13-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Oh god this shit between Chuck and Sarah, gets sooooooo tiring and isn't funny. I roll my damn eyes every time he speaks or acts. CHUCK GET SOME BALLS!!!!

Otherwise decent episode.
Old 10-13-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bryce is such a bastard.
Old 10-13-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No kidding, not cool about the surreptiously firmware upgrade Bryce uploaded into Chuck's brain.

Is it me, or are they de-padding Sarah's bras this season?

I don't think Strahan needed any help lifting up Morgan like a ragdoll in that wide shot.
Old 10-14-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This episode was OK, but the writers really have to be careful with the will-they-won't-they stuff. Agreed on the growing pains, boc4ever.
Old 10-14-08, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Any episode with this much Anna is a classic in my book

I loved the Grosse Point Blank reference about killing the leader of paraguay with a fork.

The rest of it was ok - a tad forgettable - as usual, the Buy More parts were more interesting than the spy stuff.

Still a pretty fun show though.

Michael
Old 10-14-08, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not just Chuck that needs to grow some balls but the writers too. They were so impatient with the Chuck/Sara hookup that I'm already sick of the "will they won't they" shtick. They need to make Chuck less pathetic and give the characters some room to breath.
Old 10-14-08, 08:16 AM

I'll have to disagree with everyone and say that yesterday showed Chuck possessing a massive pair of balls. It's clear that he wants to be with Sarah, but after the incident in the train station he manned up and told her the truth while at the same time denying himself what he really wants for the betterment of the mission, you don't get more ballsy than that.

Great episode, Chuck continues to bring the right mix of drama, intrigue and comedy. It's funny that people pine and pine for Terminator, and yet Chuck is a much better show on the whole and gets nowhere near the pub or people worried about its possible cancellation.
Old 10-14-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Thompson
It's funny that people pine and pine for Terminator, and yet Chuck is a much better show on the whole and gets nowhere near the pub or people worried about its possible cancellation.
Hmm... could that possibly be that NBC is so suffering for ratings that no one even remotely expects that this show (which gets okay numbers in general but stellar ratings for an NBC show) would get cancelled. FOX on the other hand is notoriously trigger happy since they only have 2 hours of primetime programming a night and have shows waiting to replace anything that fails to perform (see Dollhouse).

Overall this was an okay episode, but even I had to groan at the relationship reboot at the end. So now we're back to ground zero - nothing between Sarah and Chuck and Chuck essentially just got the Intersect (update).
Old 10-14-08, 09:03 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
They were so impatient with the Chuck/Sara hookup that I'm already sick of the "will they won't they" shtick. They need to make Chuck less pathetic and give the characters some room to breath.
Agree, and besides, Pushing Daisies has the current patent on that formula. More air please!
Old 10-14-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Great episode, Chuck continues to bring the right mix of drama, intrigue and comedy. It's funny that people pine and pine for Terminator, and yet Chuck is a much better show on the whole and gets nowhere near the pub or people worried about its possible cancellation.
Chuck is one of the main reasons that I finally dumped Terminator.

Sarah + that dress + the forbidden dance = winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Old 10-14-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The thing they've done to Chuck this season that really bothers me is how he's now magically become a world-class secret agent. Just like that. WTF?

I think this show is heading in the wrong direction. It would be a far more interesting (to me anyway) if they were to develop Chuck's university storyline. Make him a computer science/electronics genius type who accomplishes stuff with his brain rather than by ridiculously turning him into another generic 007 type. And although I would stare at a test pattern with Sarah's lovely face for hours on end, story-wise the dynamic between Chuck and Bryce is far more interesting. Hopefully, with the Sarah relationship stuff on hold, the writers will explore this area more.
Old 10-14-08, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Flave
The thing they've done to Chuck this season that really bothers me is how he's now magically become a world-class secret agent. Just like that. WTF?
When did they show him being a world class secret agent? In the first episode he was pretty smart with the calling of Morgan, but even that was him using his brain and bluffing more than any sort of secret agent skills. This episode featured Chuck as a bumbling idiot that screwed up his role as waiter, almost got Sarah killed, screwed up the initial exchange of the money for the chip and then finally managed to get the chip. World class secret agents don't screw up constantly and make a fool of themselves at their job, someone like Chuck does.
Old 10-14-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
When did they show him being a world class secret agent? In the first episode he was pretty smart with the calling of Morgan, but even that was him using his brain and bluffing more than any sort of secret agent skills. This episode featured Chuck as a bumbling idiot that screwed up his role as waiter, almost got Sarah killed, screwed up the initial exchange of the money for the chip and then finally managed to get the chip. World class secret agents don't screw up constantly and make a fool of themselves at their job, someone like Chuck does.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. In the start of the season Chuck wants to be a secret agent so he can be with Sarah. In this episode he sees Bryce in action as Sarah's partner and realizes he is clearly out of his league... leading him to drop both the agent endeavor as well as pursuing anything with Sarah, fearing that her romantic feelings for him paired with his bumbling knack for getting into perilous situations may get both of them killed. Chuck WISHED to "magically become a world-class secret agent", but he never really WAS one.
Old 10-14-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The female Fulcrum agent in this episode was eerily familiar, but I haven't been able to find a name for her. It's driving me mad.
Old 10-14-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bianca Chiminello
Old 10-15-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
Okay, thank you. I guess I was going crazy, because I certainly didn't see her in any of the works listed on IMDB.
Old 10-15-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
I want more John Larroquette!

Bianca Chiminello could def get it
Old 10-15-08, 06:36 PM

I think Brice actually helped keep Chuck and Sara together. He now has the updated intersect and the only copy that the CIA was trying to get. They still have to use Chuck for the data longer and that keeps Sara close by to keep his secret.
Old 10-19-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm all caught up on the fabulious show. Anybody have an idea how I can give feedback to NBC? Next to Lost this is easily my favorite show.

Captain Awsome is just awsome.

The Buy More crowd always brings the laughts.

Casey is the bomb, and birngs the funny with the grunts and weapons.

Chuck and Sarah have such great chemistry together I think my tv is going to burn a hole right through whenever they share a moment. It will definitely be interesting to see where they take their relationship from here after Chuck "dumping" her. Everything that is still left on the table showed between their exchange before going in the door, the fake smiles and the look across the room.

Granted I've blown through the series to date over the course of 2 weeks, but I did enjoy a lot of the "getting to know you" scenes back towards the beginning of the series. The anchovie bit from the pilot was particuarly telling.

Also, I'm sure we'll be getting an Ellie and Awsome wedding come sweeps. Perhaps February?

Whoever called out Bomer from Traveler damn you. Now I'm gonna remember that. I liked him on that as well as the show. Here, half the time he's a-hole for getting to Sarah, but then he turns around and is Chuck's best pal with his interests up front.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.