Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men--"The Jet Set"--10/12/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad Men--"The Jet Set"--10/12/08

Spoiler:
On a business trip to Los Angeles, Don becomes acquainted with some exciting new friends. Peggy looks for romance at work. Duck starts thinking about the future of Sterling Cooper.
Old 10-12-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Had to laugh at Pete having absolutely no game in LA.

Don just slips in and out of situations with aplomb. Joy had this Grace Kelly look about her in the pool. Tasty. Laura Ramsey (Joy) was a blonde in "Ruins" recently. The Jet Set do live a different life.

Cosgrove's reaction to Curt was abrupt and to the point, but in the time period, political correctness hadn't quite sensitize people to Curt's sexual orientation. Sal pretty much had to hold in a gulp or two, as his closeted sexualitiy was bursting to free itself, but not with the reaction of his co-workers on display, nor his own acceptance of who he is. Had to smile at Curt's hairdressing skills (not sure if they were trying to prop up a stereotype or simply update Peggy's hairstyle).

Duck finally succumbed to the bottle again, got a bit of his bravado back, and has payback on his mind. Roger won't see it coming, but he is a man in love with a woman young enough to be his daughter.

Glad to see Don's suitcase make it to Betty's home, now, will Don make it back, or will he confront his Dick Whitman past and have residual damage from dredging up the past?

Last edited by Patman; 10-12-08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-12-08, 11:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Don just ditching Pete was funny, but I didn't really care for the rest of his story.

Looking forward to see what happens with Duck's plan.
Old 10-13-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Something about a woman's bare back that just does it for me.
Old 10-13-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Well that was an interesting group of nomads that Don found himself hanging out with.
Old 10-13-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who did Don call as "Whitman?"
Old 10-13-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if Pete Campbell will reveal Don's past to anybody else. The only other person who knows is Cooper, and he's a nimkompoop. I wonder if Sterling or Don's wife would dismiss the news as easily as Cooper. "Who cares?"
Old 10-13-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
This reminded me of one of those Sopranos episode where you watch it on Sunday and think "what the fuck was that" then about two days later it all makes sense. After reading a few comments here, that just happened.

This show is (and will probably) going to pass Dexter as the best show on TV right now.
Old 10-13-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Right, I always love the care and attention that the writers pay to subtext, and using the past to bridge to the present, by confronting overt expressions of the past that have been turned into covert thoughts and feelings of the present due to political correctness and "social progress".
Old 10-13-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The actress who played Joy sounded so much like January Jones, for a minute I was wondering if they were pulling a Vertigo and having her play a different character.
Old 10-13-08, 04:31 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's amazing how different some of the actors and actresses look when you put them in the clothing and hairstyles of this period. Seeing Rich Sommer as a preppy college student in The Office was crazy, and if it wasn't mentioned in this thread, I would've never placed Joy as the blonde girl from The Ruins.

Anyway, great episode. I can't believe the season is almost over.
Old 10-14-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so the group Don fell in with..swingers or what?
Old 10-14-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What Don fell into is almost every unsatisfied man's fantasy: to be taken in by beautiful people with money, and fawned over. Frankly, Betty is very annoying...and she's not giving Don any incentive to return home. Shit, she keeps kicking him out...what, exactly, does she expect? Will she be surprised if he stays in California? She'd only have herself to blame - after all, she wouldn't even let the man take a shower in his own house! The hell with her!

Edit: I think Pete would have loved to be in Don's shoes.

Speaking of Pete and how he holds the secrets of Don's past...how can Don sit back and abide Pete knowing this sensitive information about him? I'm not saying Don should bump him off or anything...however...how can Don just not even discuss the situation with Pete, come up with ground rules or something? I mean, what's the keep Pete from telling anyone else? After all, "Whitman" would be in trouble with the United States Government - a) for taking someone else's identity; b) for possibly "deserting" the armed forces? Don could go to jail for what he did. That would be more leverage for Pete, as opposed to just telling Mr. Cooper...

Last edited by Buttmunker; 10-14-08 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-14-08, 09:08 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
The actress who played Joy sounded so much like January Jones, for a minute I was wondering if they were pulling a Vertigo and having her play a different character.
I thought that, too. Interesting episode but seemingly off-kilter -- I'll wait to see if it comes together better with future developments.
Old 10-14-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
What Don fell into is almost every unsatisfied man's fantasy: to be taken in by beautiful people with money, and fawned over. Frankly, Betty is very annoying...and she's not giving Don any incentive to return home. Shit, she keeps kicking him out...what, exactly, does she expect? Will she be surprised if he stays in California? She'd only have herself to blame - after all, she wouldn't even let the man take a shower in his own house! The hell with her!

Edit: I think Pete would have loved to be in Don's shoes.
The guy did cheat on her with multiple partners for god knows how long.
Old 10-14-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Big deal. Women have to weigh the options: what's worse? Having no husband and being alone, or having a husband who cheats?

Let's break it down a little further: what's better, a guy who doesn't cheat but maybe beats you up or insults you all the time and is a bad father to your children? Or, a guy who cheats but treats you nice and is a good father to your children?

What is sex, after all, but a human function? If a guy does something with someone for 15 minutes, but brings all his love home to you, and provides for you - you're going to kick him out? That's silly. What Betty (and the rest of you) need to learn is - there's no such thing as a "perfect man." Cheating is the least of your problems. Your husband could have a serious drug habit, or a gambling problem, or an abuse issue.

I always say: weigh your options. You throw out the devil you know, and the devil you don't know could be a thousand-times worse.
Old 10-14-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

It was a man's world. How dare she be such an annoying bitch!!!!
Old 10-14-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
what's better, a guy who doesn't cheat but maybe beats you up or insults you all the time and is a bad father to your children? Or, a guy who cheats but treats you nice and is a good father to your children?.
Is that the only two options you see?
Old 10-14-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Big deal. Women have to weigh the options: what's worse? Having no husband and being alone, or having a husband who cheats?

Let's break it down a little further: what's better, a guy who doesn't cheat but maybe beats you up or insults you all the time and is a bad father to your children? Or, a guy who cheats but treats you nice and is a good father to your children?

What is sex, after all, but a human function? If a guy does something with someone for 15 minutes, but brings all his love home to you, and provides for you - you're going to kick him out? That's silly. What Betty (and the rest of you) need to learn is - there's no such thing as a "perfect man." Cheating is the least of your problems. Your husband could have a serious drug habit, or a gambling problem, or an abuse issue.

I always say: weigh your options. You throw out the devil you know, and the devil you don't know could be a thousand-times worse.
So, how long have you have been cheating on your wife?
Old 10-14-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Is that the only two options you see?
the third option, which is really unmentionable, involves cereal.
Old 10-14-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, ok. Staying with a Man who cheats on you or beats you just as long as long as he comes home "After" is a good thing.
Old 10-14-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
so the group Don fell in with..swingers or what?
Jet set
Old 10-14-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, ok. Staying with a Man who cheats on you or beats you just as long as long as he comes home "After" is a good thing.
No, I said "beating" is unacceptable. I said "cheating" is the least of a woman's problems.

As far as Betty and Don are concerned, Betty's biggest problem is not her husband's cheating. Her biggest problem is how distant he can be with her and with the kids. If Don came home "happy" (which he don't), Betty wouldn't have a problem.

And she's basing it all on what that douche said. She has no "real evidence," and Don did the smart thing and denied everything.
Old 10-14-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, I said "beating" is unacceptable. I said "cheating" is the least of a woman's problems.

As far as Betty and Don are concerned, Betty's biggest problem is not her husband's cheating. Her biggest problem is how distant he can be with her and with the kids. If Don came home "happy" (which he don't), Betty wouldn't have a problem.

And she's basing it all on what that douche said. She has no "real evidence," and Don did the smart thing and denied everything.
No real evidence but he was sleeping around.
Old 10-15-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
thanks..i never knew that was the actual definition ..and im old enough that I should have

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.