Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection $14.95 @ Wal-Mart

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection $14.95 @ Wal-Mart

Just saw this today at Wal-Mart, located in the non-new release aisle.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/18284...te-collection/
Old 10-11-08, 09:55 PM

thank you, i might go pick this up
Old 10-11-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems by many accounts this is the best-looking R1 release of the 3 films in it anyone cares about
Old 10-11-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been needing to replace my crappy non anamorphic versions for years. Now might be the time.
Old 10-12-08, 03:11 AM

get this and the special edition of enter the dragon, and your bruce lee collection is complete
Old 10-12-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About the same price on Amazon Marketplace too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...Q&linkCode=asm

First two sellers are DVDPlanet and DeepDiscount.
Old 10-12-08, 05:23 PM
Banned

A very good deal and worth picking up to give as gifts this Christmas.
Old 10-12-08, 07:23 PM
Cool New Member

I'm sorry I'm a BL newbie, how many total films did he make, and were they all based on the martial arts genre? What was that early-mid '90s Bruce Lee documentary-esque film called again? Sorry, I know I'm way out of the loop regarding Mr. Lee. Other than bits of Enter The Dragon, I've never sat down to watch his films before.

I might be picking this up at Walmart though, and a bag of Skittles and enjoy
Old 10-12-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
The completed films Bruce Lee starred in before his death were:

The Big Boss (aka Fists of Fury)
Fist of Fury (aka The Chinese Connection)
Way of the Dragon (aka Return of the Dragon)
Enter the Dragon

He had shot some of Game of Death before he died, but never completed it. A few years after his death, the footage he'd shot was cobbled together with newly shot scenes using a lookalike and in some cases, even a cardboard cutout of his head (i'm not kidding). The real scenes he shot are absolutely electric, but the rest is an abomination. It bares little resemblance to the conception that he had for it.

All of these films are in the martial arts genre. Any other films that are supposed to be about Bruce Lee or have him in it are generally films that exploited his fame after his death and are not true Bruce Lee films.

Prior to those films, Bruce appeared in some television shows in the U.S., most famously as Kato in The Green Hornet (and a few episodes of Batman) and Li Tsung in Longstreet.

A biopic about Bruce Lee was made in the 90s, entitled Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. It takes some pretty significant liberties with the facts of his life, but most biopics do. If you're really interested in his actual life, there are some great documentaries. One of my favorites is his A&E Biography Episode, which is available on DVD as Bruce Lee: The Immortal Dragon.
Old 10-13-08, 01:21 PM

Interesting... might order it from Amazon if I don't see it at Wall-Mart
Old 10-13-08, 02:22 PM

Didn't find the set in Plaistow, NH or Haverhill, MA......

Has anyone else been able to find it?

Last edited by Tardo317; 10-13-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-13-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found it in Virginia Beach
Old 10-13-08, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
As corny as it is, my favorite is "Way of the Dragon" for the final fight scene with Norris. I use to have one of the older collections but sold all the others off. But I might pick this up for a cheap price so I can get the better transfers. Now that the price seems officially down from $50 to $20 I don't think there is a great hurry. DD has it for just under $16 no tax, no shipping costs. I may just wait until the November sale and see if it is even lower, like say $13.
Old 10-14-08, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by bsmith
As corny as it is, my favorite is "Way of the Dragon" for the final fight scene with Norris. I use to have one of the older collections but sold all the others off. But I might pick this up for a cheap price so I can get the better transfers. Now that the price seems officially down from $50 to $20 I don't think there is a great hurry. DD has it for just under $16 no tax, no shipping costs. I may just wait until the November sale and see if it is even lower, like say $13.
sometimes when you see a heavy price drop like this, it means it is going to go out of print. if you wait too long, it might be, you snooze-you lose
Old 10-14-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank

Enter the Dragon

He had shot some of Game of Death before he died, but never completed it. A few years after his death, the footage he'd shot was cobbled together with newly shot scenes using a lookalike and in some cases, even a cardboard cutout of his head (i'm not kidding). The real scenes he shot are absolutely electric, but the rest is an abomination. It bares little resemblance to the conception that he had for it.

All of these films are in the martial arts genre. Any other films that are supposed to be about Bruce Lee or have him in it are generally films that exploited his fame after his death and are not true Bruce Lee films.

Prior to those films, Bruce appeared in some television shows in the U.S., most famously as Kato in The Green Hornet (and a few episodes of Batman) and Li Tsung in Longstreet.

A biopic about Bruce Lee was made in the 90s, entitled Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. It takes some pretty significant liberties with the facts of his life, but most biopics do. If you're really interested in his actual life, there are some great documentaries. One of my favorites is his A&E Biography Episode, which is available on DVD as Bruce Lee: The Immortal Dragon.
The documentary Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey which is available separately and on the 2-disc Enter the Dragon re-constructs how Game of Death was actually supposed to be according to Lee's script and some incomplete footage re-added. If your going to pick up this collection, then the 2-disc Enter the Dragon DVD is also a must for that documentary. Robert Clouse's version in this collection is almost unwatchable.
Old 10-14-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
The documentary Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey which is available separately and on the 2-disc Enter the Dragon re-constructs how Game of Death was actually supposed to be according to Lee's script and some incomplete footage re-added. If your going to pick up this collection, then the 2-disc Enter the Dragon DVD is also a must for that documentary. Robert Clouse's version in this collection is almost unwatchable.
I'd like to add that if you want to make your collection complete and you are region free get "Bruce Lee in G.o.D". It is a Japanese release which is similar to WJ except it tries to make a movie out of the Bruce Lee footage. It is not informative like WJ but it gives you an anamorphic cleaned up version of the same footage. It makes the WJ footage look like a washed out non anamorphic bootleg.

I hope with this price drop and eventual OOP status maybe there's a BD release around the corner.

Last edited by mrhan; 10-14-08 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-15-08, 08:10 AM

I thought about buying this last year or so. But decided against it since the box wasn't too descriptive. And I didn't buy the special edition of "Enter the Dragon," because it didn't have the cantonese track like I saw on tape.
Does this have the two Chinese tracks for each film, except for the ones he didn't do?
Old 10-15-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is definitely a YMMV situation - the folks at my Wal Mart looked at me like I had a third head when I asked them about the set.
Old 10-15-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SonicScrewy
I thought about buying this last year or so. But decided against it since the box wasn't too descriptive. And I didn't buy the special edition of "Enter the Dragon," because it didn't have the cantonese track like I saw on tape.
Does this have the two Chinese tracks for each film, except for the ones he didn't do?
Why would you want the Cantonese track on ETD when the original language is English? What they should have done was put the U.S. version of ETD with the international version on the SE. You can't find it anywhere except on LD.
Old 10-15-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank

Enter the Dragon

You didnt mention that he was in Marlowe. He didn't have a big role in the movie, but it is worth mentioning that Gardner's character asks Lee's character if he is a homsexual and Gardner actually lives through the resultant fight.

An amusing if somewhat far-fetched scene.
Old 10-15-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MScottM
You didnt mention that he was in Marlowe. He didn't have a big role in the movie, but it is worth mentioning that Gardner's character asks Lee's character if he is a homsexual and Gardner actually lives through the resultant fight.

He was also in Ironside, Longstreet, Here Comes the Brides and Blondie. Their all available on DVD except for the Blondie episode. There's also HK DVDs of his work as a child actor.
Old 10-15-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkb
This is definitely a YMMV situation - the folks at my Wal Mart looked at me like I had a third head when I asked them about the set.
As a rule, if Wal-Mart doesn't have it on display, you're better off not asking them where certain titles are or if they have them. They won't know.
Old 10-15-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by MScottM

yeah, i was just giving an overview of his starring roles (thus the wording i used). i wouldn't consider his appearance in Marlowe a starring role.
Old 10-15-08, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dmkb
I'm not even going to ask about your second head.......
Old 10-15-08, 03:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
As a rule, if Wal-Mart doesn't have it on display, you're better off not asking them where certain titles are or if they have them. They won't know.
Exactly. No offense to the employees there, but I can't imagine a scenario where asking them a question would be worth the trouble.

The DVDs are stocked by an outside company, the Walmart employees are rightfully clueless about what they have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.