Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great World of Sound - Anyone else a fan?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or heck, anyone else here watched it period?

Back when all of those Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores were closing down, I picked up Great World of Sound on DVD for just a buck or two, a Magnolia release. I didn't know anything about it, only that the cover and description on the DVD seemed interesting.

The other day I was going through some of my DVDs to ship to DVDPlanet, and I came across this one again. I never did watch it, so I decided to watch the trailer on YouTube:

greatworldofsound.com An audience-pleasing riff on the dirty underbelly of the American Idol phenomenon, GREAT WORLD OF SOUND stars Pat Healy and Kene Holliday as Martin and Clarence, two normal southern guys who get caught up in the excitement of a record industry talent scouting scheme. Real people performed in the audition scenes without knowing it was actually a film shoot. With hidden cameras, the interaction was recorded between the lead actors and the unsuspecting musicians. This documentary-style process was integrated into the final narrative, creating a unique blend of fact and fiction.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6G609-TgDE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6G609-TgDE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And that instantly hooked me, and I ended up watching it last night. Wow! I'm actually shocked at how much I enjoyed it. It's done in the same style as Borat, only with far more narrative. The two leads are great (Pat Healy and Kene Holliday), and Charlotte from Lost (Rebecca Mader) is even in it. I would go on about how great she looked in it, but ever since that one goof in a Lost thread compared her looks to someone else (Lost fans who read the thread, surely you remember what I'm talking about), I just can't see her the same way.

Tricia Paoluccio steals a scene late into the flick as well, you'll know what I mean when you see it. To be honest, I didn't really dislike any of the performances, and that's pretty rare for such a low-budge indie flick for me.

All in all, it's one of the best directorial (Craig Zobel) and writing (Zobel and George Smith) debuts that I've seen in years. Highly recommended!