Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please Recommend/School me on HDTVs

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story, short, my 32 inch tube tv pooped out over the summer and now I'm down to a 13 inch tube tv on the floor, so needless to say I'm in dire need of an upgrade.

Have a 1bdrm. apt, but looking to buy a house within the next year or two, so I figured, rather than stair step from a medium size tv to larger one, just get a larger one now.

So, for the question, I'm totally illiterate when it comes to hdtvs, should I go with lcd or plasma? Any good sites that compare and contrast? Also, I want something that I can hook my computer up to, do most of them do that these days?

I think I want something in the 46 to 50 inch range, which I know will eat up a 1bdrm. apt with size of room, viewing distance, etc., but looking to buy for the future. Also, probably want 1080p, if possible, is there noticable difference for casual viewing between 1080 and 720? My price range would be between $1500 and 2k.

I'm just starting to look and may be limited to some Black Friday offers anyway, but always received good advice and recommendations from the dvdtalkers, so thought I would start here.

ETA: I think I covered most of the standard questions, but if you have any others for me to clarify, please post and I will answer them.
I know that is a lot of questions, but any help is greatly appreciated, even if it is just telling me what brands/models you guys have liked and had good luck with.

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 10-09-08 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-09-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Go to several stores and look at the various displays. Ask what they are using to view the tv's. What kind of source material will you be viewing? 1080p will be useful for blu ray disc.

View the tv's from your viewing distance to give you some idea of sizes.

Personally I find the Panasonic plasma tv's hard to beat but everyone needs to find what suits them, just like audio speakers.
Old 10-09-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
What kind of source material will you be viewing? 1080p will be useful for blu ray disc.
Thanks for the advice, as for source material, haven't upgraded to Blu ray yet, but probably will within the next few years depending on where I'm sitting financially after buying a house.

Also, I know it's blasphemous, but I will probably also just watch standard cable through it for a few years and then eventually upgrade to digital/dish with HD. But again, kind of looking to buy for the future, rather than stair step up with a mid level tv.
Old 10-09-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Then just buy a 50" Panasonic 720p plasma. You can get one for around $1k and it is a spectacular set. Dont kill yourself and wait for a black Friday deal because I can't see the price being much different than what you could find one for now anyway.

I have the TV and use it for Blu-ray and still don;t see the need for 1080p since I sit 14' away from it anyway. With a 50", if you sit further than 7', you won't see the difference between 1080p and 720p.
Old 10-09-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Also, I know it's blasphemous, but I will probably also just watch standard cable through it for a few years and then eventually upgrade to digital/dish with HD.
I don't know about that, but you're certainly going to look at it and quickly tire of how poor SD cable looks on an HDTV. DVDs will look great, and even that would likely be enough to sort of make the decision for you to get an HD cable/Satellite service.

Standard television looks disgusting on an HD set, and you won't feel you're getting much out of your TV by keeping that.
Old 10-09-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the market for a new tv this past summer. Previous to that I immersed myself in online reviews, magazine reviews, and what ever else I could wrap my head around for the purchases I was about to make. Having expierience with rear projection, and dlp sets ultimately that's where I decided to go. I purchased a 65" mitsubishi dlp 835 diamond series. It didn't have some of the problems that I found with lcd or plasma. Plus I was able to get it at the size I wanted which plasma and lcd can't do without taking a second mortgage out on your house to pay for it. Both dlp and the other two have their faults. I found dlp had fewer than the others. So if you have time, do your research.
Old 10-09-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Then just buy a 50" Panasonic 720p plasma. You can get one for around $1k and it is a spectacular set. Dont kill yourself and wait for a black Friday deal because I can't see the price being much different than what you could find one for now anyway.

I have the TV and use it for Blu-ray and still don;t see the need for 1080p since I sit 14' away from it anyway. With a 50", if you sit further than 7', you won't see the difference between 1080p and 720p.
This is all that needs to be said.

This is THE answer.
Old 10-10-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Go to several stores and look at the various displays. Ask what they are using to view the tv's. What kind of source material will you be viewing? 1080p will be useful for blu ray disc.

View the tv's from your viewing distance to give you some idea of sizes.

Personally I find the Panasonic plasma tv's hard to beat but everyone needs to find what suits them, just like audio speakers.
If you truly are buying for the future, buy the 1080p. Count me in as another that strongly recommends the Panasonic. For price v. quality they're hard to beat.

Regular cable is going to look pretty crappy on a 50" TV. You may decide to go DLP and use the money you save for HD cable or a Blu Ray player
Old 10-10-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
It didn't have some of the problems that I found with lcd or plasma.
Like what kind of problems?

Also, thanks so much for all the suggestions, any good sites on plasma vs. lcd vs. dlp? Does plasma still have the burn in problem?

ETA: Is $1400 shipped good price for a 50" 1080P Panasonic plasma?

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 10-10-08 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-10-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
No plasmas do not have burn in issues.

Yes, $1,400 is a good price for a 1080p 50" Panny plasma.

IMO "Future Poofing" is not a reason to get 1080p unless you plan to get eye transplants in the future.

I have nothing against 1080p. If it is within your budget and you buy into the "Full HD" or want to tell your buddies you have 1080p, go for it. It won't be a worse picture. I just don't believe you will see the difference in 720p v 1080p in this sized set sitting at a reasonable difference to pay extra for 1080p or pay outside your budget.

And there maybe other reasons to get the 1080p version. Maybe it has other features you will want/need.

As for Plasma v LCD v DLP....ummm you can google, but watch the dates of the articles. Much of what is out there is old. And really it has "almost" gone to where you need to talk about specific sets. For example, I would get a Panny or Pioneer plasma, but not many others. I'd look at Sony or Samsung LCD's but not Visio, Westinghouse, etc.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 10-10-08 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
For example, I would get a Panny or Pioneer plasma, but not many others. I'd look at Sony or Samsung LCD's but not Visio, Westinghouse, etc.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everybody. Are there any other brands you guys would go with or stay away from?
Old 10-15-08, 03:12 PM

I would throw Mit's into this list. We have a 57" DLP Mit's that's great and will consider their new LCD's but our big drawback is that they only make a 52" version . My GF likes it big
Old 10-16-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know a Mits that's just under $2K that would be bigger than 52".
Old 10-17-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I've done my homework and feel like my head is going to explode, but I am now much more knowledgable on hdtvs. One thing I found that I wanted to ask, I have a dvr on my pc, so I really want to hook up my pc to my new tv, is the bolded input the only way to do that or can you hook up a pc via the hdmi inputs as well?

Just curious as the 1080p has the bolded input, but not the 720p model.

1080p
Inputs/ Outputs:

HDMI Input x3 (1 front)
Analog Audio Input (for HDMI)
Component Video Inputs (Y, PB, PR) x2
S-Video Input x2 (1 front)
Composite Video Input x2 (1 front)
Audio Input (for Video) x2 (1 front)
PC Input Mini D-sub 15-pin x1 (rear)
SD Memory Card Slot (SDHC Compatible)
Audio Input (for PC) Stereo M3 ( 3.5 mm) Jack
Audio Input (for Component Video) x2
Composite Video Output x1
Analog Audio Output x1
Digital Audio Output x1

ETA here are the inputs for the 720p, just wondering if it has everything I want/need for the price difference with the 1080p above.

HDMI Input x2
Component Video Inputs (Y, PB, PR) x2
S-Video Input x2 (1 front)
Composite Video Input x2 (1 front)
Analog Audio Input ( for HDMI)
Audio Input (for Video) x2 (1 front)
Audio Input (for Component Video) x2
SD Memory Card Slot (SDHC Compatible)
Composite Video Output x1
Analog Audio Output x1
Digital Audio Output x1

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 10-17-08 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends. A very few PCs now have HDMI output. Or, you should be able to use DVI-HDMI. But I'll warn you, that can be quite a headache. There's nothing wrong with analog VGA if you do have difficulties with DVI. Or maybe it'll work just fine.
Old 10-17-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Depends. A very few PCs now have HDMI output. Or, you should be able to use DVI-HDMI. But I'll warn you, that can be quite a headache. There's nothing wrong with analog VGA if you do have difficulties with DVI. Or maybe it'll work just fine.

That makes some sense, my computer if a couple years old, so I doubt I have the hdmi output, so would I still be able to hook it up to the 720p tv above and if so using what input?

thanks again for all your help, I've done a lot of research but still trying to figure out all the inputs/outputs.
Old 10-17-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Using the VGA shouldn't be a problem, they should sync on a PC resolution that the TV can handle. If you want to try digital, first check whether your PC is able to output standard TV HD resolutions. IE: 720p.
Old 10-28-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, went just window shopping and was looking at some of the 120Hz LCDs and the pictures looked really nice, but if Plasmas already have a better picture for motion/action and the below quote is true, why get an LCD other than lower power consumption because for a comparable model at 120Hz, they are about twice the price of the plasma?

Any other personal experiences with pros and cons with LCD vs Plasma?

Please note that most plasma's run at about 480Hz so, do not be fooled in buying a 120Hz TV if you're going to watch sports or fast action movies, PLASMA is the way to go."
Old 10-28-08, 11:00 AM

So, went just window shopping and was looking at some of the 120Hz LCDs and the pictures looked really nice, but if Plasmas already have a better picture for motion/action and the below quote is true, why get an LCD other than lower power consumption because for a comparable model at 120Hz, they are about twice the price of the plasma?

Any other personal experiences with pros and cons with LCD vs Plasma?

You just opened a can of worms.

The ONLY reason I would buy an LCD over a plasma is...well....there isn't any anymore.

Maybe if you will be using it for 50% games and 50% computer.

For any normal viewing (70/20/10 - tv/movies/games) I would always go plasma.
Old 10-28-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You just opened a can of worms.

The ONLY reason I would buy an LCD over a plasma is...well....there isn't any anymore.
Didn't mean to, but I just couldn't find any logical reason to get an LCD anymore since Plasmas offer better picture at a better price, I guess maybe power consumption and glare from a glass screen.

People with plasmas, is the glare that bad? Again buying for future so don't know if my future living room with have a lot of windows.

Maybe if you will be using it for 50% games and 50% computer.
Is this just because of the possible burn in issue with static computer screen or paused video game?
Old 10-28-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where is that quote about 480Hz from? That doesn't make sense to me.
Old 10-28-08, 01:50 PM

Didn't mean to, but I just couldn't find any logical reason to get an LCD anymore since Plasmas offer better picture at a better price, I guess maybe power consumption and glare from a glass screen.

People with plasmas, is the glare that bad? Again buying for future so don't know if my future living room with have a lot of windows.

Is this just because of the possible burn in issue with static computer screen or paused video game?

I have a plasma and it would take a lot for me to go LCD. I own 2 LCDs but not for my main viewing area.

My main viewing area has 3 huge windows. I manage. I have blinds and curtains so if the glare is bad I just close them.

Burn-in has come a long way. I don't even think there really is burn-in anymore unless you are completely careless and go to Hawaii for a week with the TV paused on CBS.

Power consumption is a stupid argument as well (and i know it isn't YOUR arguement). Plasma power consumption is listed PEAK, not continuous. LCD consumption is continuous.

Plasma power would reach max if you were playing a super bright, fast motion video game with the setting all maxed out. In reality, you run your plasma with the settings somewhere around the middle of the road and the screen is usually fairly dark, even in well-lit scenes. Actual power v. peak power is very different. Plasmas will rarely, if ever, hit that peak.

Go plasma and stop thinking about it.
Old 10-28-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Where is that quote about 480Hz from? That doesn't make sense to me.
Just from a user review from one of the plasmas I'm looking at so I have no idea if it's true, but even when talking with some of the tv sales people, atleast one that I talked to said that he has plasmas and that basically they 120hz movement with lcds is lcd manufacturers just basically trying to do with action/movement what plasma already does.
Old 10-28-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had an LCD at my apartment on Long Island. I liked the picture and you truly don't have to worry about lighting however it did tend to "float" during action sequences or sports.

When I remodeled my Family Room in Rochester I went Panasonic Plasma and have been very happy. There is a lot of glare, and in my room, the window faces the wall the TV is on so it's really bad. I have a room darkening shade that takes care of everything. The Panasonic did have a setting for bright rooms. It basically cranked up the all the settings to overcome competing light sources. It worked however I'm sure I wouldn't want my TV on that setting very often or for too long.
Old 10-28-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Burn-in has come a long way. I don't even think there really is burn-in anymore unless you are completely careless and go to Hawaii for a week with the TV paused on CBS.

Go plasma and stop thinking about it.
I read up on that and that seems almost eliminated with the pixel refresh technology on most plasmas now, I was just wondering why you said an lcd would be good for a tv if you used it 50% gaming/50% computer?

Nice, direct and to the point, I will stop thinking about it, but I do have tendencies to over analyze - so now to try to nail down features and models *sigh*. Any recommendations on models?

In my short time shopping I'm looking at TH 50PZ800U, TH 50PZ800U, and TH-C50FD18.

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 10-30-08 at 12:50 PM.