TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CSI: -- Season 9 Premiere -- "For Warrick" -- 10/9/08

Old 10-09-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
CSI: -- Season 9 Premiere -- "For Warrick" -- 10/9/08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

The ninth season opens with Grissom and his team shocked to learn that Warrick has been shot. They immediately begin to investigate the crime and learn a stunning secret about their colleague. When Sara hears the news, she returns to the lab to help with the probe.

Really looking forward to this Thursday night!
Old 10-09-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if there ever could be a CSI tearjerker episode this could be it.
Old 10-09-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

I read this episode is probably Petersen's best performance in the series to date.
Old 10-09-08, 01:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I am unbelievably hyped for this episode. Excited to see what happens, but i was geeked up thanks to the use of "The Funeral" in the previews. What a great use of a song.
Old 10-09-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's nothing I ever look forward to more than when CSI comes back each season. More than LOST, more than anything. I say LOST because that show is, well, LOST. The anticipation for that is often excruciating, but this one series trumps that each year. I guess I'm saying they make great cliffhangers.
Old 10-09-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good episode but way too rushed.

This needed to be two hours.
Old 10-10-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Good episode but way too rushed.

This needed to be two hours.
But then they would have had to pay Gary Dourdan for another episode.

Seriously, I did like this episode. I think the performances were more genuine because the actors were aware of Dourdan's real life problems.

Obviously the revelation about Warrick's son will play out over the season.

Now, do you think Catherine sounded a little defensive when she explained why she had a key to Warrick's place?

Finally, anyone know if Peterson going to stay on as executive producer even after he leaves the cast?
Old 10-10-08, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Finally, anyone know if Peterson going to stay on as executive producer even after he leaves the cast?
Yes we will.

He will be there from time to time behind the scenes, but not acting on the show. He will appear from time to time, most likely when William Friedkin returns to direct the 200th episode.
Old 10-10-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought this was a really good episode, but the whole resolution felt way too rushed.

I also would have rather seen this fleshed out over 2 hours. I thought the whole chase and capture of McKean felt a little cliched.

The performances were great especially Petersen and his opening scene with Dourdan.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they introduce Lauren Lee Smith as the new CSI.
Old 10-10-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great episode but like a few of you guys, thought it could've been stretched out more.
Old 10-10-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Agreed, definitely rushed. Powerful performance by Petersen. That speech at the end even had me a bit choked up.
Old 10-11-08, 05:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
yep, i concur with everyone else. Should have been at least a 2-parter. Maybe have them chasing down Pritchett for most of episode 1, then have them get onto the trail of McKeen toward the end.

But definitely a tear-jerker. My wife was bawling during the last scene at the church. It got dusty for me as early as the scene where Gil was in the office covered in blood and Greg walked up to him. And then the scene of Warrick on tape talking about Grissom definitely got me.
Old 10-11-08, 06:39 PM

They summarized 9 years of that friendship, mentor/protege, teacher/student, father/son into 40 minutes and wow, did it ever hit home hard.
Old 10-12-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I nearly cried watching this episode. I've never cried watching a TV show. I'm very happy that this wasn't dragged out. I didn't want to see a mini arc of having McKean elude the police and not get caught for a few episodes.

The scene with Nick and McKean was just like Seven only it ended happier.

Great episode.
Old 10-12-08, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this one might make me cry (I just caught it on On Demand), and it was very powerful but no tears (the only episodes of TV shows I remember crying at were Greene's Death in ER and The last scene of Quantum Leap), so I guess I'm not the best indicator.

Peterson gave an award-worthy performance in this episode, and the feel of the show was a lot different than normal, with some majestic (and well-done) sweeping shots of the team staring into space with their own thoughts.
Old 10-12-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Yes we will.
Good, because I think it's been Peterson's influence that has kept this show head and shoulders above the other two CSI shows.

He will appear from time to time, most likely when William Friedkin returns to direct the 200th episode.
Gosh, I hope they don't write Peterson out of CSI the same way they did in
Spoiler:
To Live and Die in L.A.
Old 10-12-08, 10:26 AM

Well, there's a LOT of speculation about why Grissom will leave, and the most credible idea so far seems to be this:

Spoiler:
Grissom and Sara, after finding out about Warrick's son (who is seen at the funeral) will somehow gain custody and raise him together as a family. No idea if that's why they mention Warrick had a son to begin with and make it clear that Warrick truly wanted to raise him, as well as make it clear how well Grissom inspired and cared for him in that tape, but it makes sense.

A very minor spoiler (not really a spoiler at all but I'll tag it anyway) about Grissom and the new character played by Laurence Fishburne:

Spoiler:
One thing that is confirmed is that Grissom and Fishburne's character, Dr. Raymond Langston will work together in order to make a nice transition for Petersen to leave and Fishburne to stay, and Fishburne will NOT be the leader of the team, he will simply be the 'big name' on the show, the way Petersen is.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 10-12-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-12-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Good episode. I'm kinda mixed on the pacing. On one hand it definitely felt rushed, but I also wouldn't have wanted it dragged out for multiple episodes. I think a 90 minute episode would have probably been just right.

As for Fishburne, I just hope they don't go down the usual route of everyone clashing with the new guy. I hope he fits in from day one.
Old 10-13-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A very minor spoiler (not really a spoiler at all but I'll tag it anyway) about Grissom and the new character played by Laurence Fishburne:

Spoiler:
One thing that is confirmed is that Grissom and Fishburne's character, Dr. Raymond Langston will work together in order to make a nice transition for Petersen to leave and Fishburne to stay, and Fishburne will NOT be the leader of the team, he will simply be the 'big name' on the show, the way Petersen is.
Hopefully, they make the obvious choice for once and
Spoiler:
Catherine is promoted to lead CSI.
Old 10-13-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the episode. Great to have Sarah back too.
Old 10-13-08, 02:23 PM

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Hopefully, they make the obvious choice for once and
Spoiler:
Catherine is promoted to lead CSI.
While I agree that the choice may be obvious, I'd hate it; I just cannot stand the character.
Old 10-13-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh ohhh. We starting the Catherine bashing again.
I don't know why people would hat her. Because she is an older Woman and is sexy?
She is not portrayed as a shrew or anything like that.
Never understood the hate for her or Sarah.
Old 10-13-08, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I don't know why people would hat her. Because she is an older Woman and is sexy?
I have always liked Sara, and never had any kind of issue with her.

As for Catherine, watch last season's (out on DVD tomorrow) episode "A Thousand Days on Earth", and that will illustrate just what people like myself (and I would assume most who dislike the character) have a big problem with.

Age, looks, and all that superficial garbage has NOTHING to do with this, and never has...not to me, anyway. Can't speak for the rest of the non-fans of hers out there.
Old 10-13-08, 03:06 PM

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I liked Catherine in season 1, but the changes the character has gone through since then have caused me to change my opinion of her. The same thing applies to Sarah.