Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone suggest good Ipod earphones?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I finally gonna get an Ipod. Started working out again and it will come in handy.

Now I have small ears and the earbuds headphones always pop out of my ears right away.

Can anyone suggest any good non-earbud headphones that are lightweight?

Thx.
Old 10-08-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No one?
Old 10-09-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know some brands fit into your ear canal, seal it up and won't pop out. Shure and Etymonic earbuds are both brands I have used and liked. The Shures have a thicker cord. They can get pricy (like $100 +) so I never use them at the gym. Here's some info on both.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102...164761&start=0

I know it's not what you asked about, but I dont think I could go back to full size headphones at this point.
Old 10-09-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
They can get pricy (like $100 +)
$100 on the low end. My Shures sell for about $350, and they have models ranging up to $500 or maybe a little more.

I recommend ear buds, but ones that come with a fit kit so you can chose the right ear piece to fit your ear. Shure, Etymotic and Ultimate Ears are all highly recommended and have good models below $100.

For over-the-ear headphones, Sony makes some good ones, as does Sennheiser. Grado are great, but they leak sound, so if you're not wanting to bother other people those would be out of the question.

Poke around at www.earphonesolutions.com and read some reviews. They have pretty good prices, too, and excellent customer service.
Old 10-09-08, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
$100 on the low end. My Shures sell for about $350, and they have models ranging up to $500 or maybe a little more.
Yeah I'd love to try out the $350 or $500 models. My Shures and Etymonics were both $150. After leaving the Etymonincs on a plane with my 160GB iPod like a total dumbass, I dont think I could spend much more than that ever.
Old 10-09-08, 10:15 AM

The Shures are indeed nice, but if you are looking for something a little cheaper in the $30 to $50 range, I've had good luck with my skullcandys. I really like the volume control on the wire that they have.
Old 10-09-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks all, I have tried lots of earbuds but they do pop out and I really don't wanna stick anythinh to deep in my ears.
Old 10-09-08, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateEars.com
Old 10-09-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a couple of Sennheiser, one that fits tightly in the ear canal and another that locks in place with a twist. The latter sounds OK but I mainly got it because it stays on when I'm running on a treadmill.
Old 10-09-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thx will check it out
Old 10-09-08, 07:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I second the vote for Ultimate Ears, I have a clear pair of the SuperFi 5 Pro's and they are so good that you just have to hear them for yourself. Now they might cost more than the device you are playing them on, but they are pretty much the quality standard for in-ear monitors. I can only imagine what a set of the custom molded drivers must sound like.
Old 10-09-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea they look nice.... Gonna do some more research. thx
Old 10-10-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I suggest Sennheiser as well. They make good headphones of all styles, and are decently priced.
Old 10-10-08, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Thanks all, I have tried lots of earbuds but they do pop out and I really don't wanna stick anythinh to deep in my ears.
its not as bad as it sounds. you will be doing your eardrums a favor too. i have the shure e2c's and they sound great.

heres a trick for anyone with canal phones...boil some water in a pot and stick a philips screwdriver in the foam adapters. then place in boiling water. swish around for a bit and presto! clean and wax free!
Old 10-11-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
You know some brands fit into your ear canal, seal it up and won't pop out. Shure and Etymonic earbuds are both brands I have used and liked. The Shures have a thicker cord. They can get pricy (like $100 +) so I never use them at the gym. Here's some info on both.
SONY makes a pair of in-ear headphones that i've had for a few years now. They're much cheaper than the Shures (about $40 i think) - they may not be as high quality, but the sound is always good.

Found them. They're the Fontopia series. Amazon actually sells the same pair i bought for $19 bucks now!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX51L...3786905&sr=8-1
Old 10-12-08, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have this pair of Sony Noise Canceling headphones and love them. I haven't used them to work out in, but I do use them when I mow the lawn. They work great. They are snug but not too tight and they fold up for easy storage(comes with a case).
Old 10-12-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cant stand the ones you shove into your ears either plus i wear mine at work and i do need to be able to hear outside noises a bit or im jumping outta my skin

Best ear buds ive found and they actually cost the same as the crappy ones you get with your Ipod are Sennheiser MX-560's.
Old 10-12-08, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

I guess I'm lucky in that the iPod ear phones fit my ears perfectly. Especially the new version, the original ones didn't fit so well. Unfortunately, my dog broke the pair that came with my 160 gb Classic so I had to get a new pair. Since I had heard so many people say that other brands sounded better I decided to try a couple of other types. The one I remember the most was Skull Candy. I can't believe people like those things. They may look cool but they sound like crap. Anyway none of the brands I tried sounded as good as the iPod brand so I ended up going back to them. I just wish replacement pairs didn't cost so much.
Old 10-12-08, 07:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The phones that come with the Ipod sound SO BAD. They distort with hardly any volume especially if you use any of the EQ settings. By comparison, the Ultimate Ears play loud and crisp with hardly any volume at all. In fact you have to be careful because the sensitivity is so high, you can get to dangerous volume levels with no effort. Ipod buds are like putting 4 "donut" tires on a fast car.
Old 10-12-08, 08:49 PM
Cool New Member

Well, for $75 to $300, I would sure hope the Ultimate Ears sound better than the $40 iPod ear phones. My point was that none of the different brands I've tried in the $40 price range don't sound nearly as good as the iPod brand. Maybe one day I'll be able to splurge on the Ultimate Ears or something even better.
Old 10-13-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been using Skull Candy for a couple years now, and I love them. I have no idea what all the negative reviews on them are all about.

Whenever I'm lounging at home, I like to pull out the Bose Triports.
Old 10-13-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS...mco=MTU0MDAxNw

Seems to be love or hate with these. I listened to them at the Apple store thought they sounded pretty good.
Old 10-17-08, 12:17 PM

Creative EP-640 $12.97

Don't own them, but if they're of decent quality it looks like a good price.
Old 10-17-08, 03:16 PM

I have Shure e3c earbuds (could probably do better for the ~$120 range), and Sennheiser HD280 pro full headphones.