Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray.com now offers cataloguing on its site. Thanks, 2008!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blu-ray.com has just added a cataloguing feature to it's site to keep track of your blu-rays. I had used the filtering function of DVDSpot to list my BD's but now that it's defunct, this will work fairly well. They pretty much have every U.S. release though their foreign listings are almost nonexistant unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1887
Old 10-08-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just set up my list there as well. I think it's a pretty good set up since it's free.
Old 10-08-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That'll work, much better than going back to DVDAf, thanks for the heads-up.
Old 10-08-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Since DVDSpot went belly-up....

Pro-B
Old 10-08-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Since DVDSpot went belly-up....

Pro-B

Yes -- an important clarification, I'm sure.

This is a good idea, and one can't argue with "free", however it's also totally single-minded and self-promotional in its execution. Of course that's to be expected -- why would Sony want to help you keep track of your old DVDs (or -- gasp! HD DVDs)? But given that I still have need of a service that offers such antiquated accommodations, I believe I'll pass.
Old 10-08-08, 12:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by applesandrice
Yes -- an important clarification, I'm sure.

This is a good idea, and one can't argue with "free", however it's also totally single-minded and self-promotional in its execution. Of course that's to be expected -- why would Sony want to help you keep track of your old DVDs (or -- gasp! HD DVDs)? But given that I still have need of a service that offers such antiquated accommodations, I believe I'll pass.
Blu-ray.com is a 100% fansite. It is not run by Sony or any members (that we know) of the BDA.
Old 10-08-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You are terribly misinformed!

Pro-B
Old 10-08-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Blu-ray.com is a 100% fansite. It is not run by Sony or any members (that we know) of the BDA.
Gotcha. Even so, I guess I wouldn't expect it to include the option to catalog DVDs along with Blu-ray titles. It'd be fantastic if they did, as I've found the services offered through DVDSpot to be extremely useful.
Old 10-08-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
You are terribly misinformed!

Pro-B
And you are ever the diplomat. I truly appreciate your candor and profusely apologize for my mistake.
Old 10-08-08, 12:52 PM

Why doesn't dvd talk do something like this? Too expensive?
Old 10-08-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Is there any protocol for adding titles? I have some imports which are not showing up (the UK release of Assembly for one).
Old 10-08-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Is there any protocol for adding titles? I have some imports which are not showing up (the UK release of Assembly for one).
These are not in the system yet.

Pro-B
Old 10-08-08, 01:12 PM
Suspended

And you are ever the diplomat. I truly appreciate your candor and profusely apologize for my mistake.
Your shocked by his response? I am not.
Old 10-08-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Gotcha. Even so, I guess I wouldn't expect it to include the option to catalog DVDs along with Blu-ray titles. It'd be fantastic if they did, as I've found the services offered through DVDSpot to be extremely useful.
I'm no fan of the site, but let's be fair here. The site is called Blu-ray.com. It's not DVDHDDVDandBlu-ray.com. They are 100% a Blu-ray fan site dedicated to nothing but Blu-rays, now offering their members a free Blu-ray collection tracking service. Asking them to add DVDs and HD DVDs is rather ridiculous. If you need that, there are other options available to you.
Old 10-08-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'm no fan of the site, but let's be fair here. The site is called Blu-ray.com. It's not DVDHDDVDandBlu-ray.com. They are 100% a Blu-ray fan site dedicated to nothing but Blu-rays, now offering their members a free Blu-ray collection tracking service. Asking them to add DVDs and HD DVDs is rather ridiculous. If you need that, there are other options available to you.
I totally understand that, and in my previous posts I tried to make that very point; this seems like a good service for what it does provide, but it doesn't work for my needs. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Mainly I'm just upset over the sudden and unexpected loss of DVDSpot. It's left me a broken shell of a man.
Old 10-08-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, DVDSpot going away was bad. I had my stuff at DVDAF before switching over last year, but it's crap in comparison.

You can put in a request to have the titles added in the Feedback section in the My Collection thread. I asked for the UK discs of Escape From New York & I Still Know What You Did Last Summer and posted a few specs a few hours ago and they have already been added. I would imagine they'll probably set up a formal procedure for adding foreign titles eventually, but it seemed to work pretty quickly for me.
Old 10-08-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool thanks matome. Pretty sad - I'm #6 on the list for quantity. I think I'm spending too much on Blu-Ray.
Old 10-08-08, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by videoguy
Why doesn't dvd talk do something like this? Too expensive?
I was asking myself the same thing. It would seem natural that DVDTalk, one of the world's biggest DVD website, have a cataloguing feature. Is this something that we have to bring up to the new Internet Brand overlords in the Feedback forum?
Old 10-08-08, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dx23
I was asking myself the same thing. It would seem natural that DVDTalk, one of the world's biggest DVD website, have a cataloguing feature. Is this something that we have to bring up to the new Internet Brand overlords in the Feedback forum?
Eh. I'd like it, but to be honest, after now putting my collection in both DVD Profiler and DVDSpot, I'm done. DVDProfiler started charging (screw that) and DVDSpot closed down. Lame. At this point, I'll make an excel of it and be done with it.
Old 10-08-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm using Profiler add DVDAf. I like Profiler with its offline abilities and its movie recomendations and DVDAF for its simplicity. I don't need another one though.
Old 10-09-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool thanks matome. Pretty sad - I'm #6 on the list for quantity. I think I'm spending too much on Blu-Ray.
I hear what you're saying. My measly 229 got me in the Top 20 for about an hour yesterday, before I got bumped for even more insane people. I'm definitely going to begin to be more picky on my purchases. I'm running out of storage space again, and I'm beginning to get purchasing remorse after all these years of blind buying.
Old 10-09-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
I hear what you're saying. My measly 229 got me in the Top 20 for about an hour yesterday, before I got bumped for even more insane people. I'm definitely going to begin to be more picky on my purchases. I'm running out of storage space again, and I'm beginning to get purchasing remorse after all these years of blind buying.
Well I'm at 7 for now and expect to be bumped further as more people list stuff.

I haven't really tried to have that many. It's just happened between replacing every DVD possible with Blu-Ray and blind buying stuff as well.

I'm sure I could trim 50 today that I wouldn't miss, but used prices aren't worth it vs. what I spent. For some reason one day I felt I had to see Walk Hard and 6th Day RIGHT NOW, and bought them both at Fry's. Should have just rented them. Oh well.
Old 10-09-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
Same here. I am starting to try and slow down on my purchases. I need to be more selective on what I buy. I've bought way too many movies that I won't watch again. And I need to start waiting for sales on some of these titles. It's hard to swallow paying over $25 for some of them.
Old 10-09-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used DVDProfiler for a very long time, and I have been extremely happy with it. Did briefly use Guzzlefish and DVD Aficionado years back, but never got beyond adding 10% or so of my collection to them.

My issue with DVDProfiler is that I want to separate my Blu-ray list from my DVD list. I know how to filter it though the DVDProfiler application, but I want people to be able to view just my Blu-rays in my online DVDProfiler collection. Not sure if that functionality is available.

Until I figure that out, Blu-ray.com's catalogue feature will work just fine for me. I'm slowing down with my purchases (at least I keep telling myself that) as I watch my stock and 401K become chump change ... maybe Blu-rays could be a good investment that would be more resistant to the economic slowdown.
Old 10-09-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by flix1
My issue with DVDProfiler is that I want to separate my Blu-ray list from my DVD list. I know how to filter it though the DVDProfiler application, but I want people to be able to view just my Blu-rays in my online DVDProfiler collection. Not sure if that functionality is available.
I love DVDProfiler, but that bothers me as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.