Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : SNL 10/04/08 - H: Anne Hathaway - MG: The Killers

Goldberg74
10-04-08, 08:45 AM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3360/annexk0.png

The next three hosts are on the list below, with hosts TBA (?; 10/18), Jon Hamm (Mad Men; 10/25), and Josh Brolin (W.; 11/1).

09/13/08 - H: Michael Phelps - MG: Lil Wayne (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/539593-snl-09-13-08-h-michael-phelps-mg-lil-wayne-season-34-premiere.html)
09/20/08 - H: James Franco - MG: Kings of Leon (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/540093-snl-09-20-08-h-james-franco-mg-kings-leon.html)
09/27/08 - H: Anna Faris - MG: Duffy (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/540532-snl-09-27-08-h-anna-faris-mg-duffy.html)
10/04/08 - H: Anne Hatahway - MG: The Killers
10/18/08 - H: Josh Brolin - MG: Adele

mdc3000
10-04-08, 11:20 AM
Hopefully this will be good... I love Anne and The Killers!

astrochimp
10-04-08, 01:33 PM
Actually looking forward to this one.

OldBoy
10-04-08, 01:53 PM
what happened to 10/11? i thought they were doing like 7 original runs in a row? and how do they not know who will be on 10/18?

Goldberg74
10-04-08, 02:23 PM
what happened to 10/11? i thought they were doing like 7 original runs in a row? and how do they not know who will be on 10/18?I thought we were getting 4 in a row...

Here's the press release (no mention of the 10/11 show... but I put it in there anyways):

http://www.hollywood-newsroom.com/casting/anne-hathaway-josh-brolin-and-jon-hamm-heading-to-saturday-night-live/

... and here's some other news/rumor:

Saturday Night Live has royal plans for a possible vice presidential debate sketch: they’ve booked Queen Latifah to play moderator Gwen Ifill.

“If we do a VP debate sketch, Queen Latifah is lined up to play Gwen Ifill,” an SNL rep confirmed to PEOPLE Friday.

Ifill, who moderated Thursday’s vice presidential debate between Governor Sarah Palin and Senator Joseph Biden, is managing editor of PBS’s Washington Week and senior correspondent for The News Hour with Jim Lehrer.

Brent L
10-04-08, 10:41 PM
I really let SNL have it last week, so this week I must say that they're doing a great job at poking fun at both sides so far. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brent L
10-04-08, 10:53 PM
OMG, that Barney Frank is awesome. :lol:

skatefan20
10-04-08, 11:09 PM
rotfl Extreme Activities short

MaxMFP
10-04-08, 11:10 PM
So far its as bad as ever. worst digital short ever. and what was the point of that stupid dance skit?

Achtung
10-04-08, 11:14 PM
Geez, seems like Brandon Flowers almost looks too normal without the makeup. Facewise at least. Can't speak for the outfit.

tommyp007
10-04-08, 11:16 PM
Has Anne lost some boobs?

So far, great debate skit....the rest, pretty blah

Rypro 525
10-04-08, 11:37 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtZ_cRo6hOo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtZ_cRo6hOo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
the debate sketch

Coral
10-04-08, 11:40 PM
Samberg does a great Mark Wahlberg impression.

Jimmy James
10-04-08, 11:41 PM

Yes indeed.

MaxMFP
10-04-08, 11:54 PM

Pretty good Julie Andrews impression from Anne too.

Brent L
10-04-08, 11:59 PM
I actually liked the show tonight for the most part.

I also approve of Casey Wilson's cleavage. ;)

Charlie Goose
10-05-08, 12:29 AM
Palin is the best thing to happen to SNL in a long time, I guess Fey will be back on almost every week. Beating into the ground though. The pre-credits opener was more than 10 minutes long.

Obviously nobody in the audience remembers The Lawrence Welk Show, but the deformed sister was pretty funny.

Wiig was also great as Nancy Pelosi in the bail-out sketch. I loved her facial expressions.

The digital short was one of the better ones.

Bill Maher came on, and I immediately turned it off.

I'm still trying to decide if Hathaway is pretty.

CKMorpheus
10-05-08, 12:46 AM
Palin is the best thing to happen to SNL in a long time, I guess Fey will be back on almost every week. Beating into the ground though. The pre-credits opener was more than 10 minutes long.

Obviously nobody in the audience remembers The Lawrence Welk Show, but the deformed sister was pretty funny.

Wiig was also great as Nancy Pelosi in the bail-out sketch. I loved her facial expressions.

The digital short was one of the better ones.

Bill Maher came on, and I immediately turned it off.

I'm still trying to decide if Hathaway is pretty.

That's easy. Yes. She is.

RichC2
10-05-08, 12:55 AM
She isn't bad looking, though the photo in the first post made me think of Where The Wild Things Are.

Giantrobo
10-05-08, 01:55 AM
"The Lawrence Welk Show" bit was a great example of a funny bit that was a perfect length. :up: If they had gone any longer the comedy would've been worn.

That said, does Fred Arminsen even listen to the people he has to do? It seems to me more and more of his impersonations sound less ans less like the the real deal. I know that he doesn't have to if the writing is good, but it would still help.

JeffTheAlpaca
10-05-08, 04:30 AM
I don't remember but has there been a Robert Smigel TV Funhouse sketch this season?

This show was ok

Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals and Weekend Update were good.

the Lawrence Welk was lame and slowed the momentum from the opening sketch.

It might be me but I thought the Katy Perry sketch at the end was underrated :)

LorenzoL
10-05-08, 08:13 AM
The opening skit along with WU and the Katy Perry skit were good. The rest were forgettable...

RichC2
10-05-08, 09:02 AM
<!--[if IE]><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id=W4727a250e66f972348e8c8dc0af5deaa" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/48e8c8dc0af5deaa/48e8755957bd9f8c/d5903d1e/-cpid/c65a699d69fd1eca/clipID/727421/video_title/Saturday+Night+Live+-+VP+Debate+Open%3a+Palin+%2f+Biden?storeInPid=true" /><![endif]--><!--[if !IE]>--><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/48e8c8dc0af5deaa/48e8755957bd9f8c/d5903d1e/-cpid/c65a699d69fd1eca/clipID/727421/video_title/Saturday+Night+Live+-+VP+Debate+Open%3a+Palin+%2f+Biden?storeInPid=true" id="W4727a250e66f972348e8c8dc0af5deaa" width="384" height="283"><!--<![endif]--><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object>

mdc3000
10-05-08, 09:33 AM
With the exception of a few skits that went on too long, I thought this was easily the best show of the season and was actually pretty damn good.

Goldberg74
10-05-08, 10:20 AM
The only sketches I didn't like last night were the "Fake Gay" and the "Guest Room."

Once again the show was great because Samberg was limited (but I LOL'ed when he took the drink from the slow-mo guys in the "Guest Room" sketch.

I liked the Opening Debate and the Bailout Bill.

... and for some reason I still have Forte's WU song stuck in my head and would like to have the full version as an MP3 download.

:up: to Queen Latifa.

JasonF
10-05-08, 11:04 AM
... and for some reason I still have Forte's WU song stuck in my head and would like to have the full version as an MP3 download.

:eek: With all 535 legislators!?

(I have the song stuck in my head too. Stupid Will Forte song!)

calhoun07
10-05-08, 11:35 AM
:eek: With all 535 legislators!?

It's the new "bottles of beer on the wall" song.

OldBoy
10-05-08, 11:46 AM
I don't remember but has there been a Robert Smigel TV Funhouse sketch this season?

no, there hasn't and i've been wondering why myself...

Gizmo
10-05-08, 01:11 PM
WTF was that dance skit?

Eh...Hathaway looked hot in those skinny jeans.

Jimmy James
10-05-08, 01:11 PM
Say hello to your mother for me.

Jack Straw
10-05-08, 01:33 PM
After watching it a 2nd time, they just NAILED it in that debate opener, and exceeded my expectations.

mdc3000
10-05-08, 02:54 PM
Damn, I forgot to mention the Forte song...one of the funniest things he's ever done on the show...just brilliant... YAY! NAY! and I thought Samburg's Wahlberg skit was excellent...

Achtung
10-05-08, 03:26 PM
I didn't realize that Forte's actual given name is Orville Willis Forte IV. Awesome. :lol:

mike7162
10-05-08, 03:49 PM
I actually liked the show tonight for the most part.

I also approve of Casey Wilson's cleavage. ;)

I'd love to see those cans in their own sketch-wink-

Pretty good show overall - the debate sketch was way too long and (like so many potentially good sketches) the big laughs were diluted.

I've been a big digital shorts fan from the start - they're a breath of fresh air, and even if you don't end up liking what you see, it's nice to not know what you're gonna get.

This is a really good, likable cast that's being let down by the writing.

Big Boy Laroux
10-05-08, 03:58 PM
easily the best of the season. The dancing sketch and the gay roommate sketch were iffy, but still had funny moments (like samberg taking the drink from the slo-mo guys).

thought the mary poppins sketch was a great idea, but why say it's a liver disease? You could leave that out, still allude to the fact that it's an STD, and it would be funnier, at least to me.

Alyoshka
10-05-08, 04:27 PM
Was it a good episode? Yay.

I liked the opener, the short film, and Mary Poppins (must have been your cooking, Mary Poppins) the best.

Jimmy James
10-05-08, 06:06 PM
The writing this year has been a lot stronger than it was last year, IMHO. Last year was a low point for the show -- it probably wasn't that bad since the early 80s.

Josh-da-man
10-06-08, 01:38 AM
Kind of an uncomfortable opening monologue, eh?

Patman
10-06-08, 08:21 AM
Kind of an uncomfortable opening monologue, eh?

Hey, that which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. At least she's able to poke fun at the situation and move on, instead of just feeling like a victim.

Groucho
10-06-08, 08:25 AM
Wow, surprised to see all the praise heaped upon this show. With the exception of a couple sketches, it was terrible. The dance club sketch in particular -- what was the joke supposed to be here?

movieking
10-06-08, 09:29 AM
The show was uneven, but I thought that Hathaway was a great host. I hope she hosts many more times in the future.

Snowmaker
10-06-08, 09:39 AM
With the exception of a couple sketches, it was terrible. The dance club sketch in particular -- what was the joke supposed to be here?

Who cares? Anne looked good in the blonde wig. :D

Patman
10-06-08, 10:45 AM
Anne must be able to quickly scan cue cards and then deliver her lines with good inflection to elevate the material written for the skits because I watched how she'd sneak peeks at the cue cards, but then deliver the lines as naturally as possible. It was appreciated since many other guests would just stare at the cue cards with nary any connection to their character was saying. Sudekis was also doing a good job on his lines in the "Not-so-gay roommate" sketch.

Groucho
10-06-08, 10:47 AM
No question that Hathaway is a good actress and this is her year. It's too bad the material wasn't there.

harpoonipa
10-06-08, 11:41 AM
anyone know the names of the songs the Killers did?

uteotw
10-06-08, 12:30 PM

Not sure--they're off their not-yet-released CD. That first song was just weird: "Are we human or are we dancers"--over and over and over. I'm a big Killers fan, but I just don't get that one...

DRG
10-06-08, 12:33 PM

"Human" and "Spaceman", both from their upcoming album.

An uneven show (as usual) but the Mark Whalberg thing was the type of silliness I love. The debate was also great.

But the dance club thing... to steal a line from the Katy Perry sketch, "No." They are really trying desperately to push the new guy. He just seems like a Jonah Hill wannabe so far.

My Other Self
10-06-08, 02:04 PM
Loved the opening sketch and the Mark Wahlberg skit. Hilarious.

big whoppa
10-06-08, 04:33 PM
The impressions were good. Digital skit was another loser. Anne, indeed, was a excellent choice for a host. This wasn't a great episode but it had its moments.

Rogue588
10-06-08, 04:51 PM
With the exception of a few skits that went on too long, I thought this was easily the best show of the season and was actually pretty damn good.I thought so too. Particularly the opening debate skit - since I watched the actual one. And I loved the "maverick" drinking game zinger at the end. :lol:

... and for some reason I still have Forte's WU song stuck in my head and would like to have the full version as an MP3 download.Glad to see it's not just me.

Eh...Hathaway looked hot in those skinny jeans.:up: However, she was hit 'n miss for the entire ep.

Anne must be able to quickly scan cue cards and then deliver her lines with good inflection to elevate the material written for the skits because I watched how she'd sneak peeks at the cue cards, but then deliver the lines as naturally as possible. It was appreciated since many other guests would just stare at the cue cards with nary any connection to their character was saying.Definitely. I wouldn't mind if they brought her back. She's got a nice singing voice too.

Shannon Nutt
10-07-08, 12:50 PM
Not sure--they're off their not-yet-released CD. That first song was just weird: "Are we human or are we dancers"--over and over and over. I'm a big Killers fan, but I just don't get that one...

What's even weirder is that the lyric is "are we human or are we dancer" (singular). WTF does that mean? Still, it's a catchy tune.

That was easily the best SNL I've seen in a year or two...only a couple skits didn't "work" for me. And Will Forte's song is a classic. I want to thank you bastards for popping it back into my head - now it won't go away. :)

starman9000
10-07-08, 12:54 PM
And Will Forte's song is a classic. I want to thank you bastards for popping it back into my head - now it won't go away. :)

Does anyone have a link to this? I can't seem to find it (was there a title?)

fujishig
10-07-08, 04:54 PM
Looks like they pulled the economic bailout skit from the website, saying that it didn't meet their standards. They're saying that the Sandlers (not Adam), the older couple who sold Golden West Financial to Wachovia, and who had a caption on them during the skit saying "people who should be shot" were upset about it. Has this happened on SNL before?

Giantrobo
10-07-08, 05:00 PM
Anne must be able to quickly scan cue cards and then deliver her lines with good inflection to elevate the material written for the skits because I watched how she'd sneak peeks at the cue cards, but then deliver the lines as naturally as possible. It was appreciated since many other guests would just stare at the cue cards with nary any connection to their character was saying. Sudekis was also doing a good job on his lines in the "Not-so-gay roommate" sketch.

Anna Farris was good at not looking like she was reading the cue cards too.

JasonF
10-07-08, 05:29 PM
What's even weirder is that the lyric is "are we human or are we dancer" (singular). WTF does that mean? Still, it's a catchy tune.

That was easily the best SNL I've seen in a year or two...only a couple skits didn't "work" for me. And Will Forte's song is a classic. I want to thank you bastards for popping it back into my head - now it won't go away. :)

"Are we human or are we denser."

Not that it makes too much sense, but it makes a little more sense.

Patman
10-07-08, 10:22 PM
It's like confusing "Tiny Dancer" with "Tony Danza". :D

daddydaryl
10-08-08, 12:44 AM
From Amazon:

"Those familiar with the band’s oeuvre will recognize their signature in the synth-heavy “Human,” four minutes of sweeping, epic rock, on which Flowers sings: “My sign is vital/ My hands are cold/ And I’m on knees, looking for the answer/ Are we human, or are we dancer?” He says the lyrics were inspired by a disparaging comment made by Hunter S. Thompson about how America was raising a generation of dancers. But the song also had some help from album producer Stuart Price (aka Jacques LuCont), known for his work with Madonna and Missy Elliot, and who’d previously remixed “Mr. Brightside.” “He was the icing on the cake,” says Stoermer.

Sometimes we force our ears to hear something the way it makes sense to us. Instead, we ought to look for the sense in what we actually hear. You can force it to be “denser” all you want, but it isn’t."

movieking
10-08-08, 01:38 PM
Entertainment Weekly had an article about this confusing lyric as well, quoting "Are we human, or are we dancer?"

dhmac
10-08-08, 05:25 PM
the debate sketch

It's better to link to Hulu.com which legally has the clips and won't pull them off after a few days.

The Hulu.com link for the Palin/Biden debate skit:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/37730/saturday-night-live-vp-debate-open-palin--biden

B.A.
10-09-08, 10:25 AM
Samberg does a great Mark Wahlberg impression.Holy Crap, his voice was spot on.

Shannon Nutt
10-09-08, 11:42 AM
From Amazon:

Sometimes we force our ears to hear something the way it makes sense to us. Instead, we ought to look for the sense in what we actually hear. You can force it to be “denser” all you want, but it isn’t."

Thanks for backing me up. Now, "Scuse me while I kiss this guy"... ;)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5193WJHE5XL._SL500_AA240_.jpg