Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo looking to release HD console before 2011

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nintendo looking to release HD console before 2011

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...tendo-hardware

Speculation mounts on new Nintendo hardware

A fresh round of speculation about new hardware from Nintendo has been reported this morning, ahead of the company's autumn press presentation tomorrow.

According to What They Play, Nintendo is currently showing new Wii hardware to developers and publishers, with a view to releasing a high-definition console before 2011.

The new console is currently dubbed Wii HD and would be a true successor to the Wii, rather than a simple hardware refresh, in a similar move to Nintendo's migration from Game Boy to Game Boy Advance.

It's suggested that the new console will feature high-definition visuals, a greater emphasis on backwards compatibility and digital distribution, and a large storage solution.

The report notes that Nintendo has more than tripled its internal research and development spend since the release of the Wii back in 2006.

And following reports earlier in the week that Nintendo is due to announce a new DS tomorrow, complete with built-in camera, music playback and improved wireless functions, analysts have told Bloomberg that the company is also likely to release new Wii hardware bundles rather than cut the price of the current market-leading home console.

"Nintendo has no need to cut the Wii's price,'' said Takashi Oka, of CSK Institute for Sustainability.

"If Nintendo cuts prices now, people who already bought the Wii will feel they've lost money. Nintendo won't do such a thing," he said.

This all makes sense to me. The next generation Wii should be high definition, should include a large storage solution and most importantly should distribute its games via digital download. There is no reason to keep the same methods of purchasing a game via physical media which can be damaged or lost. By 2010 or so, most people will be buying their music, movies & games via digitial download. That is my prediction!

Also, since the Wii will still be hard to find thru this holiday season, it makes perfect sense to create Wii bundles where Nintendo can sell more games and accessories at a lower price. There is no need in the near future to lower the price of the Wii.

Chris
Old 10-01-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
This will probably be the first console I skip. The Wii has done nothing but sit in my entertainment center waiting for my niece and nephew to visit every 12 months. If the quality of Nintendo games don't improve then I'll never purchase another Nintendo product again... but, if they can give me some high quality sporting events (ie golf or tennis) in HD, I might bite.
Old 10-01-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes! 3 more years until Mario Galaxy HD, Mario Party HD, Zelda HD, and Metroid HD
Old 10-01-08, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by discostu1337
yes! 3 more years until Mario Galaxy HD, Mario Party HD, Zelda HD, and Metroid HD
Well, the story said before 2011, so I'm predicting Sunday November 7th or 14th, 2010.

Chris
Old 10-01-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with Rob - I only touch my Wii when I get games that I have to review. It's sad really. Poor little thing, sitting there all sad and mopey. But at least it has the PS3 to commiserate with.
Old 10-01-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Makes sense. They were five years late with online play, so another five years to go HD seems about right.
Old 10-01-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I'm with Rob - I only touch my Wii when I get games that I have to review. It's sad really. Poor little thing, sitting there all sad and mopey.
Heh...touch your wii
Old 10-01-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The real sad part is that I have, metroid, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, paper mario(s), all sitting waiting to be played.
Old 10-01-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It'll be interesting to see how much they improve the hardware. Will it be, in processing power, something close to the Xbox 360 and PS3? below them?
With all the advancements in hardware they should be able to fit hardware that does near HD in the current case.
Old 10-01-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Nintendo has all this momentum in sales but the creative side are running around like chickens without heads.
Old 10-01-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no interest at this point in time for Wii 2. I have no interest in Wii 1 that I spent 16+ hours waiting in line for at launch.

Eventually Metroid, Zelda, and Mario could bring me back in, but I might just end up borrowing someone else's for the time.

They're going to have to seriously revamp their entire view on appealing to gamers like me. Gamers that grew up with and love Nintendo and hate to see their potential not even approached, let alone fully realized.
Old 10-01-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I dunno. I love Nintendo. But the Wii is the most expensive paperweight I own. The last time I touched it was for Kart, prior to that Galaxy and prior to that Wii sports that came with it.
Old 10-01-08, 01:03 PM
Suspended

If they can do some of the enhancements that we have seen with 3rd party tools, I'd be definitely interested. Hell, I'm already interested.
Old 10-01-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm interested but I think I've played Oblivion more than I have my Wii.
Old 10-01-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
If they can do some of the enhancements that we have seen with 3rd party tools, I'd be definitely interested. Hell, I'm already interested.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Word is that
Spoiler:
there will still be no Pilot Wings.

Old 10-01-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I am truly surprised at everyone that doesn't play the Wii anymore. I am on mine at least 3-5 days per week. Mostly for Kart or Brawl, but also for a lot of VC Games (just beat Super Metroid last night!) and WiiWare games (MM9 kicks my ass). The biggest disappointment for me is about to happen when they don't release jacksh*t this Christmas. WiiMusic is a joke IMO, and they have nothing else that appeals to me for this holiday

At least I bought a PS3 not too long ago
Old 10-01-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So it'll be 720p and have a 10gb hard drive, then?

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed my time with the Wii, but it peaked way too early. The release slate is anemic at best. They've already put out most of their heavy-hitters, and many of those, while good, were simply more-of-the-same (Kart, Brawl, Galaxy). Meanwhile, third-party support seems almost entirely limited to kid-friendly shovelware.

Regardless, I'll be skipping the Wii HD. Sad to think that there will be a Nintendo system that I'll be skipping, but their glory days are behind them as far as serious gaming is concerned. I'll be picking up a PS3 in the near future to meet my gaming (and blu-ray) "needs" that Nintendo has failed to satisfy.
Old 10-01-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought a Wii again on Friday to see if the things have changed. They haven't. I did enjoy going through some of the Zapper games (like Ghost Squad), but that was short lived.

Mario Kart is coming in the mail and it is my last ditch effort to keep my Wii. If I don't get into it, I will sell the whole thing, which I probably will anyway as I can't justify $300 for one game.

But my biggest complaint with the Wii is still.....the Virtual Console SUCKS! There is just no other way to say it. All those games at their disposal with numerous systems and they release a title or two a week to cover the entire portfolio of options.
Old 10-01-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll

This all makes sense to me. The next generation Wii should be high definition, should include a large storage solution and most importantly should distribute its games via digital download. There is no reason to keep the same methods of purchasing a game via physical media which can be damaged or lost. By 2010 or so, most people will be buying their music, movies & games via digitial download. That is my prediction!

Chris
I really hope they don't do digital distribution only. Physical media can be damaged or lost, but hard drives can also fail, and I shudder to think what kind of DRM Nintendo will use. Not to mention the time it'll take for an HD game to download/install.
Old 10-01-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by steebo777
I am truly surprised at everyone that doesn't play the Wii anymore. I am on mine at least 3-5 days per week. Mostly for Kart or Brawl, but also for a lot of VC Games (just beat Super Metroid last night!) and WiiWare games (MM9 kicks my ass). The biggest disappointment for me is about to happen when they don't release jacksh*t this Christmas. WiiMusic is a joke IMO, and they have nothing else that appeals to me for this holiday

At least I bought a PS3 not too long ago
If my choices were Wii & PS3 I'd probably be on the Wii 3-5 days a week as well. Pick up a 360 and you'd be singing a different tune. Seriously. I don't have a problem with the Wii, I finished Okami a few weeks ago and put about 60 hours into it, but I wouldn't have if my 360 hadn't RROD'd on me. I have Metroid 3 and RE4 still sitting there staring at me, but as long as my 360 is kickin', the Wii is a paperweight.

As for Wii2, Nintendo is going to have to seriously prove that they are going to support the 'core' gamers instead of chasing the casual gamer money train. I doubt those casual consumers that ate up the Wii will be on board a Wii2 so soon.
Old 10-01-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If my choices were Wii & PS3 I'd probably be on the Wii 3-5 days a week as well. Pick up a 360 and you'd be singing a different tune.

"Hey guys! Watching PBS isn't that boring!" (When your alternative is watching paint dry)
Old 10-01-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I haven't played it as much as my 360, but I still wouldn't consider money wasted. I spent a LOT of time playing Galaxy, No More Heroes, Zelda, Strikers, Metroid, and I made pretty much all my money back selling some of those games. I sold WarioWare for 45 bucks just a month ago!
Old 10-01-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still haven't played Mario, finished Zelda, finished Rayman RR, unlocked everything in Mario Kart or Brawl, etc. We still haven't bought RE4 or Metroid either.

My buddy and I are busy cracking out on Soul Calibur IV

There's plenty of Wii gaming for folks that don't put in hours upon hours every week.

The only people that are griping are those that blow through a game every few days or weeks...and want to know what's next. Nintendo is never going to be able to keep you happy.

You know how many 360 games I've finished since I got it in Feb 2007? 2. Gears and DMC4. Maybe you can count Soul Calibur since I've finished the the main Tower mode.

Sure, I spent a lot of hours playing multiplayer Gears online. Lots of hours. I could probably have finished another handful of games if it wasn't for the Gears addiction. I'd still have a massive backlog.

Hell I've got about 3 dozen PS2 / Xbox / GC games still backlogged. Tons of 'em.
Old 10-01-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I now already feel as if I've lost money in the Wii. This is horrible. They should have waited instead of jumping the gun.
Old 10-01-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Seems about right. I bet it would sell tons since the Wii name is so popular now and throw in HD behind it and by 2010 even more casual folks will buy into it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.