Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

...but what about the FIRST half of the 1950's? [Recommendations?]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually when you talk about music from the '50's, you think about the hits from 1955 through 1959. You can't help it, mainly because that's the only 50's music you were exposed to from the Oldies radio stations. All the Rock 'N Roll, Motown/R&B and Soul hits were primarily from the latter half of the decade.

But what about the first half? I have a notion that between the years 1950 and 1954, the dominating forces were Big Band (which had carried over from the 40's) and Jazz. And while I like some of it, a lot of it can be fairly boring (unless you consider the cool Swing Jazz belted out from the MGM Cartoons).

I know Rock 'N Roll "officially" began in 1955 with Bill Hailey & The Comets and the First Number One Hit of the Era, "(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock", but was there anything noteworthy and sadly overlooked prior to that imergence?

I'm interested in upbeat tunes between 1950 and 1954 - not something by The Fontaine Sisters (which I find rather boring) or the like, but something you can shake your leg at. Something you can snap your fingers to; something you might find yourself whistling to yourself long after the song has finished.

Even though Mitch Miller was a little corny, I did dig his #1 smash remake of "The Yellow Rose of Texas" in 1955 (I believe this song followed Bill Hailey to be only the 2nd No.1 of the R&R Era). So even something like that is worth checking out.

Anything?
Old 09-30-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great thread. although i dont have any recommendations i highly approve.
Old 09-30-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Hate to say it but I know very little about this period of music.

I listen to the XM 50's station from time to time but it completely jumps to '55 and up (and even plays a lot of lower 60's songs to just irritate me, I guess) and rarely plays music below '55.

I can definitely recommend the first disc of The Doo Wop Box by Rhino which covers "The Birth of Doo Wop" from 1948-1955. It is a fantastic collection with a lot of great music.

Of course you have the Rat Pack stuff which I have recently discovered. You can't go wrong with some Sinatra, Martin and Davis and they had several songs during this time.

I wish I had more answers to be honest and look forward to some knowledgable responses.
Old 09-30-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fats Domino released his first song in 1949, and had several hits that could be classed as rock and roll before Bill Haley and Elvis set foot in a recording studio. Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, and Ella Mae Morse are less rock-like, but were big prior to '55.
Old 09-30-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking into it a little, I'm shocked that Sh-Boom was not a part of the Rock and Roll Era, but actually was a #1 hit one year prior. That song, the version by The Crew-Cuts, is great.
Old 09-30-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Clifford Brown — Brown and Roach
T-Bone Walker — The Complete Imperial Recordings: 1950-1954
Old 10-01-08, 12:42 AM
cck

I know it's convenient numerically to say the Rock era began in '55, but '54 is actually more accurate. First of all "Rock Around the Clock" was from '54. The original and BETTER version of Sh-Boom was by the Chords in '54. And Elvis recorded "That's All Right" and much of his Sun Sessions material in '54.

Anyway, the timetable doesn't quite fit what you are asking for, but if you have never heard the great Louis Jordan, you are in for a treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZvbOBG-y-0

Perhaps an easier introduction to his music is through the soundtrack to Five Guys Named Moe, a musical that was derived from his works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYwgYYeCieM
Old 10-01-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
There is lot of blues from that period. Chess Box sets are really good. Big Joe Turner, T-Bone Walker, Wyonnie Harris, John Lee Hooker among others.
Most Sun Records have pre-55 recordings in them. The Sun Blues set would most probably be more focused on pre-55. Hip-O has a set called The Roots of Rock n Roll.
Bill Haley recordings can be divided into three periods. 1. Pre 54/55, the Essex label. Mostly hillybilly swing but there are a few songs in the Rock Around The Clock style dating back to 52/53. 2. The Decca Recordings 1954-59. This is Haley's Rock n Roll period. 3. 1960 on up on Warner Bros. Pure country.
Plenty of early, pre-55 Doo Wop stuff out there.
There is a UK label that specializes in this stuff, Proper Records. Their box sets are fantastic. 4 discs with usually 30 tracks/disc. Can get them for around $25 each. Includes awsome booklet with artist/track details. They have one calledWe're Gonna Rock, We're Gonna Roll. I would recommend it above anything else. Disc One:Blues and Rhythm, Disc Two:Jumping and Doowoping, Disc Three:Hillbilly Bopping, Disc Four:It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.
Old 10-06-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts
http://www.popculturemadness.com/Mus...Songs-50s.html

I only know a few of those songs from before 1955. I recognize a lot of the names: Guy Lombardo, Percy Faith, Perry Como, and Tony Bennett, but haven't heard any of their music.

I've heard some Rosemary Clooney songs on YouTube. She was impressive.
Old 10-11-08, 11:38 AM

Country was HUGE and influential on rock 'n roll of the 50s...
Bob Wills' Faded Love (1950)
Honky Tonk - Webb Pierce, Hank Locklin, Lefty Frizzell, George Jones, Hank Williams, Hank Thompson, Ray Price
Bluegrass - Stanley Brothers, Foggy Mountain Boys
Other Giants - Hank Snow, Kitty Wells, Jim Reeves, Eddie Arnold

Late 50's - Louvin Brothers, Faron Young