Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How Durable is a Blu-Ray Disc?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend accidentally ran over his Batman Blu Ray. Afterwards it still played fine. Damn these suckers are durable, here's his full story:

So there it was, my Batman: Gotham Knight Blu-ray, alone on a small street in Orange County. I stopped my car to go pick it up. Pieces were everywhere. I went straight for the disc to see if it was still intact. By the luck of the gods, Batman came out in one piece. But…the same can’t be said about the cover.

You can blame it on my stupidity, but I was tired from a friend’s kickback. My friend borrowed my movie, so I was able to get it back from him. I was heading back to my car, and I put the Batman Blu-ray on top of my car so that I can put my other stuff inside first. I forgot to take the movie inside the car as I drove all the way home. I came home and realized my beloved Batman wasn’t there to entertain me.

I realized it must have been back at my friend’s place, but as I traveled back, I see a shiny object on the road, not realizing it was my movie. I hear a crunching sound as I drove over it and realized that it was my beloved Batman movie. I stopped the car and used my mini flashlight to look for any remaining survivors. The only thing left was the disc and the back cover and back case. The front cover is still MIA.

As I looked at the disc, I was amazed to see that it was not messed up and it was scratch-free. I headed straight home and popped it in my Playstation 3. And to my surprise, IT STILL WORKS! Now with that said, I’ll never doubt the power of Blu-ray and I, without question, will remain to “Do Blu.”
Old 09-29-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe all Blu-ray discs have TDK coating that makes them extremely durable. I remember this was a key feature note when the format was being launched.
Old 09-29-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
I believe all Blu-ray discs have TDK coating that makes them extremely durable. I remember this was a key feature note when the format was being launched.
Man, The Dark Knight never fails!
Old 09-29-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anytime I ever purchased a DVD that wasn't on the spindle, scrapes and scuffs. I've purchased blu-rays that were off their spindle, and I couldn't find a single mark on them. I LOVE the protective coatings.
Old 09-29-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Always go with protection.
Old 09-29-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Man, The Dark Knight never fails!

Sony should use the OP's story in their next marketing campaign.
Old 09-29-08, 07:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Always go with protection.
Man, I should diss way too many people with that line. I'll just say "Yeah"
Old 09-29-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe all Blu-ray discs have TDK coating that makes them extremely durable.
That's what I thought as well, but apparently some studios have decided not to use this coating. A friend of mine who works in the industry said he thought Universal was one of these, but he wasn't entirely sure.
Old 09-29-08, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I thought the coating was mandatory or else the laser couldn't read the disc?
Old 09-29-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought a scratch-resistant coating was mandatory, too, so I'm not sure my friend's information is correct. But he's been right about everything else he's told me, and let's face it, if any studio was going to pull a stunt like this it would be Universal.
Old 09-29-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That's what I thought as well, but apparently some studios have decided not to use this coating. A friend of mine who works in the industry said he thought Universal was one of these, but he wasn't entirely sure.
The protective coating is essential, it is part of the manufacturing process and the manner in which data is stored on the disc.

I am unsure I understand your friend's claim.

Pro-B
Old 09-29-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've had Universal discs that were loose in the case as I said, no scratches or scuffs. I think your friend is wrong, especially since one of them was a very recent one, too.
Old 09-29-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
The protective coating is essential, it is part of the manufacturing process and the manner in which data is stored on the disc.

I am unsure I understand your friend's claim.

Pro-B
The coating is not "the manner in which data is stored" on Blu-rays. The coating is just that: A layer designed as added protection for the fragile data that is much closer to the disc surface than it is on DVDs. But it is not, itself, how the data is stored.

The coating is spun onto the surface of the disc in two layers, and was a late addition to the format. Early (pre-release) Blu-ray discs were held in protective caddies. And now, different disc manufacturers use different type of protection. TDK's system was the first, but Sony and Panasonic each have proprietary systems and formulations.

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I've had Universal discs that were loose in the case as I said, no scratches or scuffs. I think your friend is wrong, especially since one of them was a very recent one, too.
As I wrote above, my friend wasn't sure it was Universal. And, it's possible for a disc that's loose in its case to escape scratches, even without the added layer.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 09-29-08 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-29-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
From my rental experience Blu-rays can definitely be scratched and even minor ones can make them unplayable. However, for those of us that buy them and use them normally I doubt you will scratch one and I like the coating. Much better than HD DVDs that seem to get scratched very easily.
Old 09-29-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Depends on where the scratch is. You could scratch a disc to hell, but it would play. Place one small scratch on the inner "silver" circle of the disc, and you're fucked.
Old 09-29-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, I looked into this further and found this:

It should be noted that while Blu-ray mandates the use of a scratch-resistant coating, it does not specify what coating is used, and both Sony and Panasonic have their own independent hard coating technologies that are primarily in use on Blu-ray pre-recorded discs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis
Old 09-30-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The coating is not "the manner in which data is stored" on Blu-rays. The coating is just that: A layer designed as added protection for the fragile data that is much closer to the disc surface than it is on DVDs. But it is not, itself, how the data is stored.
It certainly isn't as that is not what I wrote. It is part of the manufacturing process and the manner in which data is stored on the disc, not how. And that specific part I referred has to do with the description you offer - the data layer being too close to the surface thus requiring the protective coating.

In any event, I am not aware of any such new alterat6ions being initiated by Universal as the one suggested by your friend.

Pro-B
Old 09-30-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ok, I looked into this further and found this:

It should be noted that while Blu-ray mandates the use of a scratch-resistant coating, it does not specify what coating is used, and both Sony and Panasonic have their own independent hard coating technologies that are primarily in use on Blu-ray pre-recorded discs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis
It is TDK actually that has been the strongest party. Hence the reason why they went on a tour with Panasonic to promote Blu-ray during the war.

Pro-B
Old 09-30-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm more comfortable buying used Blu-rays just because of this.
Old 09-30-08, 06:30 AM

When I buy used PS3 games at Gamestop, the people there say they don't know why kids who trade in their discs take such good care of them. Several locations have told me that the PS3 discs are the only ones which never come back damaged. I am not sure they know there is a protective coating on these discs.
Old 09-30-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
My discs cut right through a tin can and were still sharp enough to slice a tomato.
Old 09-30-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
My discs cut right through a tin can and were still sharp enough to slice a tomato.
Ginsu-Ray!