Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

All store exclusives and freebies - 9/28/08 to 10/04/08

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 08:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
All store exclusives and freebies - 9/28/08 to 10/04/08

These weekly threads are for the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Thursday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; We'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
tons of free movie deals at various retailers, see the above linked thread for full details

Best Buy -
Iron Man Ultimate 2 Disc Edition - bundled in Limited Edition DVD Gift Set which also includes a collectible mini-bust and a $50 giftcard for use at sideshowcollectibles.com
paper-thin lithograph with any Iron Man purchase
a couple of Warner Brothers double feature horror titles are BB exclusive for a few months, see thread devoted to them
Nick Fury, Agent of Shield - BB exclusive for now
Crash (new Starz series) screener DVD of two episodes free with any purchase

Target -
Doris Saves the Snow Princess - tiara
Iron Man Ultimate 2 Disc Edition - exclusive clamshell packaging, mini print inside case, ad mentions "bonus content" but I'm guessing this is nothing exclusive
from last week I Carly Season 1 Volume 1 - Neopets CDRom that has been offered on other kids titles in the past

Circuit City -
Iron Man Ultimate 2 Disc Edition - digital access card with online access to 6 comics

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
Iron Man - 1 disc version bundled with bonus DVD containing digital comics, soundtrack sampler, and stills
Iron Man Ultimate 2 Disc Edition - comic book prequel packaged on back

K-Mart/Sears -
buy Iron Man and $25 worth of Craftsmen tools and save $5

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
Iron Man - steelbook

Barnes and Noble -
I searched and found nothing new

Borders -
Iron Man Ultimate 2 Disc Edition - book with comic covers and sketches
The Rebel 2 disc - poster

Costco -
Iron Man Ultimate 2 Disc Edition - bundled with 3 bobbleheads, including one only available at Costco (battle damage mark 2 head)

GameStop / MovieStop - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster -
Iron Man Ultimate 2 Disc Edition - free bobblehead (pre-orders only possibly), available with a lenticular card packaged on the back

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -
I searched and found nothing new

The Disney Store -
Sleeping Beauty - FREE 4-lithograph set w/ pre-order of DVD ($19.99) or Blu-Ray ($29.99)
Wall-E - FREE 4-lithograph set w/ pre-order of DVD ($19.99) or Blu-Ray ($29.99)

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives -
Bestbuy Canada
* Iron Man Blu-Ray 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ Iron Man best, 2 comics and $50 slideshow gift card
* Iron Man Blu-Ray 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ 2 comics

Blockbuster Canada
* Iron Man 2 disc Ultimate edition w/ 3-D cover

Futureshop
* Iron Man DVD 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ steelbook packaging and exclusive disc art
* Iron Man Blu-Ray 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ steelbook packaging and exclusive disc art

HMV
* Iron Man DVD 2 disc Ultimate Edition with mask case

WalMart Canada
* Iron Man single disc DVD + bonus disc
* Iron Man 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ fanboy comic book

Zeller
* Iron Man bobblehead/headknocker, looks the same as the one Blockbuster is giving away with pre-orders

Last edited by Trevor; 10-26-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-27-08, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Exclusives

Bestbuy Canada
* Iron Man Blu-Ray 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ Iron Man best, 2 comics and $50 slideshow gift card
* Iron Man Blu-Ray 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ 2 comics

Blockbuster Canada
* Iron Man 2 disc Ultimate edition w/ 3-D cover

Futureshop
* Iron Man DVD 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ steelbook packaging and exclusive disc art
* Iron Man Blu-Ray 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ steelbook packaging and exclusive disc art

HMV
* Iron Man DVD 2 disc Ultimate Edition with mask case

WalMart Canada
* Iron Man single disc DVD + bonus disc
* Iron Man 2 disc Ultimate Edition w/ fanboy comic book

Zeller
* Iron Man bobblehead/headknocker, looks the same as the one Blockbuster is giving away with pre-orders

Last edited by johnsun; 10-01-08 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-27-08, 10:53 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Target has that Iron Man special head casing.
Old 09-27-08, 01:42 PM

FYE(TWEC) is having the 2-Disc Steelbook Exclusive

Target also has the Blu-Ray Head Case
Old 09-27-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blockbuster US is also having the lenticular cover. I just checked at the store. $24.99 though.
Old 09-28-08, 09:08 PM

It looks like Costco has Iron Man bobbleheads in all 3 suits.
Old 09-30-08, 06:56 PM

Wow, "Iron Man" is really socking it to us with exclusives. It's like "Transformers" or "Spider-Man 3" all over again. In addition to those listed above, here's what I found today...

Wal-Mart has a bonus disc with the single-disc edition of the film (shrinkwrapped side by side, as is customary for them). The bonus disc contains an episode from the upcoming new "Iron Man" animated series, an image gallery from the film, soundtrack album samples and some digital comic book content.

Also at Wal-Mart, certain copies of the 2-disc edition come with a squarebound comic book shrinkwrapped to it, featuring a prequel (of sorts) to the film, along with movie photos and other stuff.

The 2-disc version at Circuit City comes with a card good for a digital download of 6 "Iron Man" comic books, valid thru 12/31/08.

Best Buy is giving away a free, exclusive "lithograph" (aka "small poster") with purchase of the 2-disc edition.

Also, Best Buy has an exclusive version of the 2-disc edition that comes packed with a miniature Iron Man helmet replica, much like previous masks/helmets they've done (300, V for Vendettal, Harry Potter, Heroes, etc.).

Best Buy even has an exclusive new DVD of "Nick Fury: Agent of Shield," that awful TV movie from 1997 with David Hasselhoff in the title roll. Sells for $16.99, with seemingly no extras to speak of.

K-mart had an odd exclusive offer... buy "Iron Man" (2-disc) along with $25 in Craftsman tools and save $5.00 total! Er... wow?

Both Toys "R" Us and Barnes & Noble seemingly had no "Iron Man" exclusives, but I only checked one store each (and often results vary by location). Can anybody report otherwise?

Lastly, has anybody checked Borders? I have a feeling they may have gotten something for "Iron Man" but there's not one terribly nearby for me to check.

Anyway, that's what I found today!
Old 09-30-08, 07:04 PM

Oh, and FYI... the exclusive bobblehead pack at Costco would appear to be nothing more than 3 retail Iron Man bobbleheads, shrinkwrapped together with the 2-disc version of the film, so the only thing "exclusive" about this item is their grouping (and the sticker on the wrap labeling the collection as a Costco exclusive, of course).

Also, the Blockbuster version does not have a lenticular cover per se, rather a DVD- package-sized lenticular image shrinkwrapped to the back cover, which is actually separate from the package itself.

Finally, can anyone tell me if the 2-disc version of "Iron Man" comes with any literature or other inserts? I ask because it doesn't appear as if the Target helmet version contains anything (because it wouldn't fit) and if so, I'll likely be passing on purchasing it.
Old 09-30-08, 09:33 PM

Disney Store
Sleeping Beauty - FREE 4-lithograph set w/ pre-order of DVD ($19.99) or Blu-Ray ($29.99)

starting tomorrow 10/1
Wall-E - FREE 4-lithograph set w/ pre-order of DVD ($19.99) or Blu-Ray ($29.99)
Old 09-30-08, 09:42 PM

I was at Target today and passed on the Helmet case. It looked kind of tacky. However, I did notice that the display said special packaging and bonus footage. Can anyone confirm if there is any more footage here than on the regular 2-disc set?

Also, I went to Blockbuster to pre-order Indy IV and I got a cool comic. Its full size. However, its incomplete. Its basically the first half of the movie.
Old 09-30-08, 10:47 PM

RD, I've observed that Target is often less than accurate in describing their exclusive DVDs (and their sales associates are even less accurate when asked for clarification). I saw the same display you did (as well as the sales circular listing), and decided it likely referred to the same bonus footage as the regular 2-disc edition. I don't think Target realizes how misleading their language is to die-hards like us. I could be wrong, but that's my take, based on experience.

Curiously, I saw the Indy comic behind the counter at Blockbuster and it looked to me to be the same first issue of the movie adaptation that was sold in shops back when the movie came out, with seemingly no alterations for this giveaway. However, I couldn't look inside the cover to confirm this. Any word on whether the content is somehow unique to this promotion? Updated dates, new ads, etc? I bought the comic when it was new and it's always nice to NOT have to chase a new exclusive.
Old 09-30-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
FYE Steelbook

I would go with the steelbook.
Old 09-30-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajay C
Finally, can anyone tell me if the 2-disc version of "Iron Man" comes with any literature or other inserts? I ask because it doesn't appear as if the Target helmet version contains anything (because it wouldn't fit) and if so, I'll likely be passing on purchasing it.
No it doesn't. But if you get the steel book you can use the back label as an insert.
Old 09-30-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice pics, thanks for posting them. I bought the Target one, but I might so switch...
Old 10-01-08, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay C
RD, I've observed that Target is often less than accurate in describing their exclusive DVDs (and their sales associates are even less accurate when asked for clarification). I saw the same display you did (as well as the sales circular listing), and decided it likely referred to the same bonus footage as the regular 2-disc edition. I don't think Target realizes how misleading their language is to die-hards like us. I could be wrong, but that's my take, based on experience.

Curiously, I saw the Indy comic behind the counter at Blockbuster and it looked to me to be the same first issue of the movie adaptation that was sold in shops back when the movie came out, with seemingly no alterations for this giveaway. However, I couldn't look inside the cover to confirm this. Any word on whether the content is somehow unique to this promotion? Updated dates, new ads, etc? I bought the comic when it was new and it's always nice to NOT have to chase a new exclusive.
Well, I never saw the original comic. All I know is that its issue 1 of 2 and it covers the first half of the movie.

By the way, can someone post a picture of the mini Iron Man print in the Target set?