Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Rob Liefeld...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob Liefeld...

I've read about Rob Liefeld, a famously bad comic book artist who was none the less successful and popular back in the mid to late 80s and early 90s, but fallen out with fandom in recent years and a couple years back out with Moore, and is now being seen as a low benchmark for hack mediocrity.

I found this article very funny and I myself have taken piss out of Liefeld's drawing style in these drawings:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

How was he so popular, even though there is relatively little craft behind his work? But his style is certainly distinctive and drawing like that is rather addictive.
Old 09-26-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts
I suppose that, when we were thirteen years old and accustomed to the Marvel and DC "house" styles of art, it was teh awsum.
Old 09-26-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think this was posted before as I remember reading it. Funny stuff though
Old 09-26-08, 03:20 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL. That article was great. I never really understood how he got popular in all honesty. The foot thing was funny, but I think the one that got me the most was the Human Torch and Thing drawing w/ commentary. I always thought those things any time I saw one of his comics back in the day. I just never understood how someone like him can become a success and other, much better artists live in obscurity.
Old 09-26-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
I loved it when Peter David ripped Liefeld's Captain America revamp to shreds. Think it was in Comic Buyer's Guide or something. Classic stuff...
Old 09-26-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think we had a thread on this about this time last year...but it's funny again, none-the-less. What a douche that guy was.
Old 09-26-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,553 Posts
I think he had a pretty dynamic style when he first broke in (though at the time, I didn't know just how much of a pain he was to work with on Hawk and Dove)... unfortunately, it always seemed to me like he got too famous too quickly, and never really had to hone his art. I mean, at a relatively young age, when he started Image, he had a whole studio built around aping his style. And that's not even including the New Mutants --> X-force, or the 501 Jeans commercial.
Old 09-26-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts
Wow! When I saw the thread title and all the responses I figured this was the old thread! Nothing like trashing Liefeld to get this forum so active in one day!
Old 09-26-08, 07:14 PM
Banned

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...tist-ever.html
Old 09-26-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
...is a talentless douche who can't draw?
Old 09-27-08, 11:04 AM

Jesus Christ, why is his crap so easy to parody?

Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7 (which is directly lifted out from this Akira pic)

I'm really having fun mocking Rob Liefeld's drawing style and the blatant plagiarism he always seems to get away with.
Old 09-27-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Is he still feuding with Rags Morales?
Old 09-27-08, 07:12 PM

Some of his artwork is pretty neat. I enjoyed what he did with the Avengers.
Old 09-27-08, 11:08 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Way back in the day I didn't think he was "too" bad, but as I became older than, you know, 13? 14? I realized that his stuff was crap and that I could draw better than he could.

On a side note I was going through my comic collection the other day and found an X-force #1 autographed by him. LOL. I had forgotten all about that. The sad part is it was right next to my Amazing Spider-Man #300 autographed by McFarlane.
Old 09-28-08, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts
In the new Previews, there is the following little gem:

ARMAGEDDON NOW: WORLD WAR III HC
story PHIL HOTSENPILLER & ROB LIEFELD
art & cover ROB LIEFELD & MIKE CAPPROTTI
An ancient prophecy is awakened. New York and Los Angeles are destroyed. Devastating earthquakes are felt as far as Jerusalem and Tokyo. America is devastated as armies across the globe prepare for final battle. One military officer, Lt. Col. John Corbin, is dispatched to find the source of the attacks on the U.S. The trail will take him as far as Israel in search of the mysterious artifact known as the "Corinthian.” What secrets does the constellation of Orion hold and what role does Corbin play in the End of Days?
DECEMBER 3 • 120 PAGES • FC • $24.99
Solicited for December 3, but God only knows when it will really come out. (Pun intended on the "God only knows.") If the past is any prologue, Jesus will be appearing on Fox News before this thing hits the shelves of your friendly neighborhood Android's Dungeon.

(It sounds like he's ripping off "Left Behind" and "The DaVinci Code" using a title cribbed from "Apocalypse Now," and a character name from "Sandman." )
Old 09-28-08, 03:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember back when he was with Image that there were rumors that all he ever did was stand by the copy machine and photocopy Jim Lee's stuff and trace over it with his style. Not sure if it's true but I still liked his stuff at that time.
Old 09-28-08, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by pelenor
I remember back when he was with Image that there were rumors that all he ever did was stand by the copy machine and photocopy Jim Lee's stuff and trace over it with his style. Not sure if it's true but I still liked his stuff at that time.
Judging from this blatant swipes, you do wonder if he using tracing paper and why he hasn't been sued or/and fired yet (especially when working at Image).

And look at me butchering the female form Liefeld style (note the pigtails writhing around, bizarre body proportions, genitals on the one of the women, no feet and of course pouches).

By drawing Rob Liefeld style characters I've learned to appreaciate what a genuinely untalanted ass Rob Liefeld is and that he is really at the bottom of the barrel. Sure TV sci-fi writers like Brannon Braga, Russell T. Davies or other comic book writers/artists like Frank Miller could be decried as overblown hacks, but they seem to have more talent in their little finger than Liefeld has in his entire worthless carcass.

Why the fuck did an artist who not only stole original (& superior) works of comic book art, but with such fundamentally repetitive, garish, derivative and scrappy drawing skills become so successful?!
Old 09-28-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe it's just me, but your "parodies" look pretty silly. I don't know why you keep posting them
Old 09-28-08, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Maybe it's just me, but your "parodies" look pretty silly. I don't know why you keep posting them
That's whole point, I'm drawing characters Liefeld style and mocking his drawing flaws. At least I've not been paid millions or be given a studio for churning out my crap.

Liefeld Check List

*Giant codpieces, even on some of the women

*No feet or badly drawn feet

*Oversized legs and arms

*Tiny female waists

*Tiny head relative to size of body

*Oversized swords/knives/guns sticking out the back with no straps

*Magic crayon background

*Tiny faces with small pointed noses, slanted eyes and high cheekbones

*Lots of pouches around the waist

*Oversized elbow and shoulder pads

*Obvious copies from other people's artwork

*Poorly drawn hands masked by holding a lazer rifle or sword

*Too many teeth and no facial expressions apart from scowling

*Stiff oversized 80s hair styles

*Female torsos snapped in two and weighed down by giant boobs
Old 09-28-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh trust me, I know what you were trying to do.
Old 10-10-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cancer Man
That's whole point, I'm drawing characters Liefeld style and mocking his drawing flaws. At least I've not been paid millions or be given a studio for churning out my crap.
And you never will be!

Sure Liefeld is a hack, but my kid draws better than you!
Old 03-31-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld...

Not to resurrect this thread, but... Liefeld was in Houston this weekend signing autographs at a comic book show. For some reason I was still surprised at the lack of interest (absolutely no line) in getting his autograph among conventioneers. I told my kid that at one time he was like the Backstreet Boys of comics. My 10 year-old son, said "who the heck are the Backstreet Boys?"

Good times... good times.
Old 03-31-10, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by madcougar
Not to resurrect this thread, but... Liefeld was in Houston this weekend signing autographs at a comic book show. For some reason I was still surprised at the lack of interest (absolutely no line) in getting his autograph among conventioneers. I told my kid that at one time he was like the Backstreet Boys of comics. My 10 year-old son, said "who the heck are the Backstreet Boys?"

Good times... good times.
Is he still in the business?
Old 04-01-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Is he still in the business?
Yup, this months issue of Cable. Still no hands!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=24473
Old 04-05-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts

Oh, that's just awful. How do Deadpool's legs even support his weight? At least Liefeld gives credit to Perez for the rip-off pose.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.