Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Whatever happened to Tom Clancy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever happened to Tom Clancy?

granted his last few books were not all that great but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth...
I really miss the military thrillers he put out in the old days..seems the new breed of thriller writers are really lame..
Old 09-26-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't say, but you're right, he hasn't had a new novel since '03.

Clearly he doesn't need the money, so maybe he's just sitting back on a beach and enjoying life.
Old 09-26-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This came up in a previous thread -- you might do a search for it. (I'm too lazy to find it or type up the answers I gave in that one.)

There are a lot of writers working today though who are at least as good, and many who are better, than Clancy. (Although the technothriller has fallen way out of favor as a sub-genre.)

What was it about his books that you especially liked? Maybe I can give some recommendations. Just to throw out 2 names: Vince Flinn and Brad Thor. They seem to be popular with a lot of Clancy fans.
Old 09-26-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by djmont
This came up in a previous thread -- you might do a search for it. (I'm too lazy to find it or type up the answers I gave in that one.)

There are a lot of writers working today though who are at least as good, and many who are better, than Clancy. (Although the technothriller has fallen way out of favor as a sub-genre.)

What was it about his books that you especially liked? Maybe I can give some recommendations. Just to throw out 2 names: Vince Flinn and Brad Thor. They seem to be popular with a lot of Clancy fans.
I did do a search..did not see anything in regards to what I asked..as far as new writers I did just read Brad Thor's latest (The Last Patriot)and it did not impress me at all..besides a blatant ripoff of DaVinci Code the writing just did not grab me..seemed a little too simplistic..also read Body Of lies
It seems the few newer authors in the genre Ive read just did not grab me the way the vintage Ludlum and Clancy did when I first read them
Vince Flynn was recommended to me as well but i have not read any of his yet
Old 09-26-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried Brad Thor's latest and didn't care for it. But he seems popular with a lot of Clancy fans.

Quick answer on Clancy... He's rich and remarried and his ex owns half of Jack Ryan (and all his other established characters). So if he writes one of those books, she gets her cut. Of course, that doesn't stop him from writing something completely new... But perhaps he doesn't feel like it.

Here are some recommendations of thriller authors writing today:

Assassin: Barry Eisler, Daniel Silva
Adventure: James Rollins
Action: Lee Child, Gregg Hurwitz
General: David Morrell
Russia: Brent Ghelfi
Supernatural: F. Paul Wilson
Domestic (Family): Harlan Coben
Corporate/Business: Joseph Finder

I recommend all of the above. There are many more...If there's a particular type of book you're looking for, I can try to narrow it down a little.

Oh, and if you haven't read anything by the late Ross Thomas, he wrote rings around just about everyone else.
Old 09-27-08, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried Brad Thor's latest and didn't care for it. But he seems popular with a lot of Clancy fans.

Quick answer on Clancy... He's rich and remarried and his ex owns half of Jack Ryan (and all his other established characters). So if he writes one of those books, she gets her cut. Of course, that doesn't stop him from writing something completely new... But perhaps he doesn't feel like it.

Here are some recommendations of thriller authors writing today:

Assassin: Barry Eisler, Daniel Silva
Adventure: James Rollins
Action: Lee Child, Gregg Hurwitz
General: David Morrell
Russia: Brent Ghelfi
Supernatural: F. Paul Wilson
Domestic (Family): Harlan Coben
Corporate/Business: Joseph Finder

I recommend all of the above. There are many more...If there's a particular type of book you're looking for, I can try to narrow it down a little.

Oh, and if you haven't read anything by the late Ross Thomas, he wrote rings around just about everyone else.
thanks for the list and info..James rollins was was I was thinking of starting..Ill have to check out Ross Thomas as well..
I did try Lee Child starting with Killing Floor and could not finish it..I know there is some suspension of disbelief in fiction but i found it was a bit much in Killing Floor
Old 09-27-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
thanks for the list and info..James rollins was was I was thinking of starting..Ill have to check out Ross Thomas as well..
I did try Lee Child starting with Killing Floor and could not finish it..I know there is some suspension of disbelief in fiction but i found it was a bit much in Killing Floor
Child's novels are male action fantasies -- they're like superhero stories in that sense.

If you're interested in thrillers that emphasize realism, I'd recommend John leCarre and Frederick Forsyth. Ross Thomas would fall into category as well, as would Thomas Perry. (Although Clancy and Ludlum would not.) If you're willing to move a little more into the mystery genre, there are many authors I can recommend who don't require as much suspension of disbelief. Michael Connelly immediately comes to mind (and is highly recommended).
Old 09-28-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Child's novels are male action fantasies -- they're like superhero stories in that sense.

If you're interested in thrillers that emphasize realism, I'd recommend John leCarre and Frederick Forsyth. Ross Thomas would fall into category as well, as would Thomas Perry. (Although Clancy and Ludlum would not.) If you're willing to move a little more into the mystery genre, there are many authors I can recommend who don't require as much suspension of disbelief. Michael Connelly immediately comes to mind (and is highly recommended).

I have some Connelly samples dl'ed to my Kindle actually based on a friends recommendation..
Old 09-28-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Connelly's an excellent writer. I'd recommend starting with The Black Echo (the first book in the Harry Bosch series), The Poet or The Lincoln Lawyer.
Old 09-29-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Connelly's an excellent writer. I'd recommend starting with The Black Echo (the first book in the Harry Bosch series), The Poet or The Lincoln Lawyer.
the sample I have is actually his first three books in one
Old 09-29-08, 01:39 PM

You should also give David Baldacci a try.
Old 09-30-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
If you thought Child's books were outlandish, make sure you avoid anything by Matthew Reilly. Just silly beyond belief.

I would second Harlan Coben, Vince Flynn, and maybe some James Rollins, although he can be a little out there as well.

I would also recommend David Ellis and Nelson DeMille.
Old 10-02-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like James Lee Burke but thats more police type than thriller
Old 10-03-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Clancy made a way to much money putting his name on video games. Now he doesn't have to write to put food on the table. But the joke is on him, with the economy in the toilet he'll be back soon.
Old 10-04-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Somehow I doubt that Clancy is hurting for money, even after his divorce. Unless, of course, he took his hundreds of millions and put them all into Fannie Mae stock.
Old 10-05-08, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really liked Clancy's stuff up through Debt of Honor, but after that everything seemed to go downhill, both in terms of plot and the quality of writing.

I'm definitely interested in reading some of the recommendations here though. Working a night job with 12 hour shifts, I have a LOT of time to read that right now is spent surfing the net...
Old 10-22-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Djmont-just started on Black Echo..great so far!
Old 10-22-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool. If you like the book, there's plenty in the series. Connelly's an excellent writer. (New one, The Brass Verdict, just came out this week.)
Old 10-22-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

actually i have his frst three in a bundle ..came that way in the Kindle version
Old 10-25-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Somehow I doubt that Clancy is hurting for money, even after his divorce. Unless, of course, he took his hundreds of millions and put them all into Fannie Mae stock.
As I recall, prior to publishing "The Hunt for Red October" Tom Clancy was a real estate agent. Just sayin'.
Old 10-26-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Insurance agent -- but not for AIG, I don't think.
Old 10-26-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Insurance agent -- but not for AIG, I don't think.
Ah, yes. I stand corrected.
Old 10-14-09, 08:36 PM

Re: Whatever happened to Tom Clancy?

granted his last few books were not all that great but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth...
I really miss the military thrillers he put out in the old days..seems the new breed of thriller writers are really lame..

If I am not mistaken, Tom Clancy had a very nasty divorce and his wife was after his Jack Ryan Enterprises institution. She may have won the Jack Ryan Enterprises institution in the divorce and that is why we hear no more Jack Ryan stories. That is too bad. They were very interesting. Now he is only writing Op Center and other stuff, but those stories are nowhere near as captivating as the Jack Ryan material.