Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Run D.M.C., Metallica lead 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominations

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CLEVELAND — Run-D.M.C. could "Walk This Way" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The 1980s rap act, along with Metallica and the Stooges are among the nine nominees for next year's hall of fame class, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced Monday.
The other nominees are guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic, the only nominee back from last year's ballot.
The five leading vote-getters will be announced in January and inducted April 4, 2009, in Cleveland.
The ceremony typically has been held in New York but is returning to Cleveland after more than a decade-long absence. Tickets will be made available to the public for the first time.
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five opened the door for rap at the Rock Hall as the first hip-hop act to be inducted in 2007. Now, Run-D.M.C., nominated in the first year of its eligibility, has the chance to follow on the strength of rock and rap blends such as the 1986 cover of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" and classics like "It's Tricky" and "My Adidas."
Metallica jumped on the heavy metal wave of the '80s and 25 years later is still selling out arenas. This month the group released "Death Magnetic," which marks a return to its early speed metal days.
The Stooges, recently given props in the film "Juno," get another shot after last appearing on the ballot two years ago.
Left off the ballot were Stevie Ray Vaughan and Bon Jovi. Both had been eligible for the first time. To be nominated an act must have released its first single or album 25 years prior.
More than 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.
Old 09-22-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Run D.M.C.?

As if the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame hadn't lost enough credibility already... there goes the rest of it.
Old 09-22-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still no Alice Cooper, Deep Purple or Kiss
Old 09-22-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Run D.M.C.?

As if the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame hadn't lost enough credibility already... there goes the rest of it.
Next thing you know they'll be putting Madonna in there
Old 09-22-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
The Hall never had credibility...

However, I still believe Run DMC deserve the nomination. They were one of the first acts to merge rock and rap together and made Aerosmith cool again.

Metallica seems like a no-brainer.

The Stooges all I can is about fucking time. The Stooges, in my opinion, invented punk rock.
Old 09-22-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Iggy and the Stooges, Metallica and Run DMC essentially defined their genres (punk, speed metal and rap) so they deserve to get in.
Old 09-22-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Stooges and Chic would get my vote. If hip-hop is now allowed, Public Enemy better be on the ballot next year. Responsible for the greatest rap album of all time, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, they blow Run DMC out of the water artistically.
Old 09-22-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Run D.M.C.?

I am not a hip hop fan, but those guys definately belong in there. Walk This Way almost singlehandedly brought hip hop to the mainstream.
Old 09-22-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am glad the Bon Jovi rumors were exaggerated. I know a lot of rock snobs thumb their nose at the idea of "pop stars" like Madonna and Michael Jackson being in the HOF (even tho there are more r&b artists in the HOF than rock), but at least Madonna and MJ were influencial and trendsetters and were two of the biggest icons of their era. Bon Jovi getting into the HOF before Def Leppard, Rush or KISS would be the biggest joke ever because BJ have never been critically respected and what "respect" they do get now seems to be more based on the fact that they have been able to last as long as they have. I think KISS at their most reviled gets more critical respect than Bon Jovi does.
Old 09-22-08, 04:58 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by NoirFan
The Stooges and Chic would get my vote. If hip-hop is now allowed, Public Enemy better be on the ballot next year. Responsible for the greatest rap album of all time, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, they blow Run DMC out of the water artistically.
I think you have an apples to oranges comparison there, but it is an awesome record to say the least. PE deserves to be in the Hall just as much as Metallica.

I do suppose opinions differ on The Stooges...some will say The Velvet Underground is more important, Television (who came later) and The MC5's. Either way The Stooges belong there.

EDIT - Something dawned on me, can you believe the MC5's and Stooges came from the same place (Detroit Rock City) at the same time (1969)? Fucking incredible. I was born way too late.
Old 09-22-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe SRV was left off the ballot. The most influential blues artist of the last 25 years and the guy responsible for the '80s blues revival doesn't get a nod? Wow.
Old 09-22-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I'll just post my yearly disgust and move on. Honestly, it's just a joke anymore.
Old 09-22-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
A yearly post to remind folks:

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
ABBA
Albert King
Alice Cooper
B-52s
Ben E. King
Billy Idol
Billy Preston
Blue Öyster Cult
Boston
Burt Bacharach
Cat Stevens
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Donovan
Doobie Brothers
Duran Duran
Electric Light Orchestra
Foreigner
Genesis
Hall & Oates
Heart
Iggy Pop
Iron Maiden
Jeff Beck
Jethro Tull
Jimmy Buffett
Joan Jett
Joe Cocker
Journey
Judas Priest
Kiss
Linda Ronstadt
Los Lobos
Lou Reed
Metallica
Neil Diamond
Ozzy Osbourne (solo)
Pat Benatar
Pete Townshend (solo)
Peter Frampton
Peter Gabriel
Roxy Music
Rush
Ry Cooder
Sonny and Cher
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
Steve Winwood (solo)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Sting (solo)
Styx
Supertramp
T. Rex
The Cars
The Cure
The Doobie Brothers
The Go-Go's
The Hollies
The Jam
The Moody Blues
The Replacements
The Smiths
Thin Lizzy
Three Dog Night
Todd Rundgren
Tom Waits
Yes
Old 09-22-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Without Rush in there they can go f*** themselves.
Old 09-22-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm sure PE will get in but they are still several years away from eligibility. It has to be 25 years since an artist's first record before they can become eligible.
Old 09-22-08, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I am not a hip hop fan, but those guys definately belong in there. Walk This Way almost singlehandedly brought hip hop to the mainstream.
so they are to blame!
Old 09-22-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
No Rush=I don't care.
Old 09-23-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm good with Metallica, The Stooges, and Wanda Jackson. Couldn't care less about the rest of the list. Chic? Seriously?
Old 09-23-08, 07:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For their sound and impact on the emerging late 1960s heavy rock scene one would think that Vanilla Fudge might get a mention while some of the guys are still alive and playing.... I gather a version of the band still plays from time to time.
Old 09-23-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Run D.M.C.?

Well, they are the Kings of Rock, after all...

Honestly, I do see a problem with including them. Between the guitars and beats (Billy Squier comes to mind), rock was a big part of their sound from the get-go.

Last edited by DJLinus; 09-23-08 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-23-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
ALL of these artists deserve to get in before Run DMC and Metallica

ABBA
Albert King
Alice Cooper
B-52s
Ben E. King
Blue Öyster Cult
Boston
Chicago
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Doobie BrothersGenesis
Iggy Pop
Iron Maiden
Jeff Beck
Jethro Tull

Jimmy Buffett
Journey
Judas Priest
KISS

Lou Reed
Ozzy Osbourne (solo)
Peter Gabriel
Roxy Music
Rush

Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
Stevie Ray Vaughan
T. Rex

The Cure
The Moody Blues
The Smiths
Thin Lizzy
Three Dog Night
Tom Waits
Yes

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame continues to be a bad joke. It's still the Rock and Roll Hall of Sham.
Old 09-23-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I'm good with Metallica, The Stooges, and Wanda Jackson. Couldn't care less about the rest of the list. Chic? Seriously?
This is 2008. The "disco sucks" mentality ended a long time ago.

Why not Chic? Nile Rodgers was one of the most successful producers of the 1980's, producing some of the biggest hits for people like David Bowie, Madonna, Carly Simon and many other successful artists. I know Madonna's status in the HOF is a controversial one... but she's in there before the man who gave her Like A Virgin and Material Girl?

The Chic sound is very influencial in funk and dance music, and hip hop as well. They weren't "just some disco band".
Old 09-23-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
My nominees are :

The Damned & Joy Division
Old 09-23-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
This is 2008. The "disco sucks" mentality ended a long time ago.

Why not Chic? Nile Rodgers was one of the most successful producers of the 1980's, producing some of the biggest hits for people like David Bowie, Madonna, Carly Simon and many other successful artists. I know Madonna's status in the HOF is a controversial one... but she's in there before the man who gave her Like A Virgin and Material Girl?

The Chic sound is very influencial in funk and dance music, and hip hop as well. They weren't "just some disco band".
How many hit albums did Chic have? How long were they around? Are they really HOF worthy? IMO, the answer is a resounding, "NO!"

And, clearly, the bands I listed above deserve to get in BEFORE Chic or anyone else on this year's nominees list.
Old 09-23-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
How many hit albums did Chic have? How long were they around? Are they really HOF worthy? IMO, the answer is a resounding, "NO!"

And, clearly, the bands I listed above deserve to get in BEFORE Chic or anyone else on this year's nominees list.
How many hit albums did The Velvet Underground have? Let's just put any band with a bunch of hit albums in there no matter what their artistic merit is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.