Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

POLL: Do you 'recycle' your Columbia House accounts?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House
View Poll Results: Do you 'recycle' your Columbia House accounts?
Yes, all the time - as quickly as possible.
12.00%
Most of the time, whenever I get around to it.
26.00%
Once in a while, but not frequently.
40.00%
No, it's not worth the hassle to me.
22.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like whenever someone posts that they (happily) used a code to get DVDs at $8 apiece, they invariably get blasted from a 'die-hard recycler', as if not recycling accounts was a form of mental illness.

Just curious to see what the real percentages are here.

Last edited by Al_Tahoe; 09-20-08 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-20-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't cycled in a LONG time. There just isn't much I want to get, so I've just been keeping my one account open for special deals or occasional new releases.
Old 09-20-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Used to, I've had at least 40, but now it's hard for me to find enough I really want there--my enrollments would be a bunch of stuff I only kind of want.

I do keep an account for when there's an especially good deal (usually stuff I can't do as an enrollment anyway, and usually at least 2 for 1 with free shipping).
Old 09-20-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
Nice idea for a thread/poll - I'm curious what the results will show.

I understand the value of cycling, though I've never done it myself.
Old 09-21-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't cycled anything since the new site. I took a break until we saw how the new site would work with codes and everything. Lately I've been planning to cancel a couple fulfilled accounts and cycle through some new ones, I just haven't got around to it. Unless they suddenly start offering Blu-Ray as enrollments (with a decent code I mean) I don't see myself cycling through more than two or three more accounts.
Old 09-21-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back in the days of b1g1+fs or 3for21+fs which iirc was all the way back in Fall 2004 I was going through accounts as fast as I could. Mainly because I didn't have a very large collection. Nowadays, there aren't that many enrollments that I want to get on DVD so I don't cycle through them as fast. It comes down to whether or not I have 7 movies I want to get for DVD and then 2-4 Blu-Rays. With that B1G1 Blu-Ray sale I just went through another account, hopefully my other one will come through so I can get in on another account before the B1G1 BR goes away.
Old 09-21-08, 07:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
As others have said, I used to cycle fairly often, but now I've built my collection to the point where I have most of what CH offers (that I want).

I still cycle occasionally, but I'm not in the "rush to build my collection" mode anymore.
Old 09-21-08, 08:30 AM

I'm like many of you, not much on Columbia House that I really, really want left. I have been trying to get more 2-disc sets to replace some of the titles I already have, but even those are slim pickens. I have been cycling through the tv club lately. You can pick up Young Indiana Jones - Volume 3 as an enrollment. It retails for around $80 so it's a sweet deal. I only wish I had picked up the Planet Earth set when it was an enrollment.
Old 09-21-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I chose "once in a while," because like others, my collection is now pretty large, and there aren't all that many new ones I want from CH. But I'm patient enough that I don't have to have something the week it's released, so I can wait the couple months or so for it to become an enrollment, or to get it as a fulfillment.

I'll cycle again as soon as there are about 10 $19.95 or above movies I'd like to get, or a box set I think is a good deal and am ready to spend the money on.
Still planning on cycling in the next few months to get:
Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection
Shogun

And if they drop the price on the complete Friends, and I can get a "take an extra 20% off" code to work with that, I might get that, too.

Also, the TV accounts have some good enrollment selections (for me), so as soon as I fulfill one of my open ones, I'll be closing it and trying to start another.

I'm not sure that "blast[ing] from a die-hard recycler" happens all that much. Maybe you think I do that--I'm not sure--but I tend to be a little surprised when I see somebody buying something for more than they had to. After all, the description of this forum is that it's the place to "Discuss & Strategize."

I, for one, regret having spent too much money on certain things--particularly from CH. And I would appreciate somebody jumping on me to give me advice about how to better optimize my spending if they see me doing something inefficiently. It's the eternal balance of money and time. If you're impatient, you spend more money. If you take your time, you can save money. That's why the verb "spend" works with both.
Old 09-21-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still cycle a new account about every two months, just did again last week and got an email welcome letter for the first time in a long time. That's pretty much been my way since I started CH. Cycling accounts is like a guaranteed way to get titles for $4.80 or less, and is always going to be cheaper than waiting for other deals that may or not happen, although on occasion I do take advantage of those deals with the account I keep open, (when the other account is in recycle mode).
Old 09-21-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still cycle through about two accounts a year, after having done more than 75 accounts over the years.

Like others above, I already have most of the DVDs I want. I am primarily interested in Blu-ray Discs nowadays and the selection is too poor and the cost is too high (my limit is $10 net for a BD) for it to be worth the time and effort to cycle accounts rapidly.

For those who are still interested in building SD DVD collections, not cycling accounts strikes me as a waste of money and defeats the purpose of this forum. But I am aware that some feel that cycling accounts is more hassle than it is worth and don't mind paying much higher prices for their DVDs than is really necessary.

People are free to do as they wish. But if they get their backs up when someone points out, correctly, that they could have bought DVDs for less using well-established strategies, they might be happier elsewhere. Sharing ideas about getting the best deals from Columbia House (and Disney) is the purpose of this forum.
Old 09-21-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
I used to do more but now I only do 1 or 2 a year. Lately I've focused more on the TV on DVD club as there have been too many good B1G1 sales from DD (as well as the $3 BL titles) and I've had little $$ left for CH. I just bide my time and wait for the *really* good codes to fulfill and do then it again... I just try to be sure and purchase titles elsewhere that I can't get through CH for less. That's a hard discipline to learn and adhere to.

Plus I have to make time to actually *watch* these DVDs I've been accumulating!
Old 09-21-08, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
whenever ... they get DVDs at $8 apiece, they invariably get blasted from a 'die-hard recycler', as if not recycling accounts was a form of mental illness ...
Al,

As you can see from most of the replies here, the "theme" running thru them is *fundamental*---that we have essentially completed our DVD collections.
That we have fewer and fewer "holes" to fill on our shelves.

When we were 'die-hard recyclers' (and most here were at one time), we "recycled" because that was the least expensive way to build up our collections.

Perhaps your poll question should read:
  • 1. How complete (1% to 100%) is your DVD collection?
  • 2. Do you 'recycle' your Columbia House accounts?

...or sometin' similar.

As to the "...get blasted ... if not recycling..."

In most of the posts I've read along these lines, the folks getting "blasted" had previously stated (sometimes boastfully) that they had purchased numerous DVDs (not just one or two). I seem to recall one where the person paid around $85.00 for nine items---all 9 of which were available via enrollment.
This may, indeed, count as "a form of mental illness."

My two ¢ ...

PS; I, myself, am at around 95% and have opened only two accounts this year (both HDLs); one of which is now closed.

Old 09-22-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I said most of the time, but that doesn't mean I do it a lot. Basically, if there are a couple of releases coming out that I will probably buy on release day, I will go ahead and start up an account to buy them (maybe 2 times a year).
Old 09-22-08, 01:32 PM

Once in a while....

My last 12 or so online line apps have disappeared, I did have a successful phone app around April. I keep one account open for great deals or a quick fix but I've been spending most of my DVD money at B&N. It's online or elsewhere for me.
Old 10-09-08, 09:27 AM

I'd like to answer.. "all the time".. but.. I am like Watson2.. I haven't been able to get an app through in 2 months or more.

I've resorted to used DVD's at BB.. yaaaack.. I hate that.

I'm trying again today with a phone call.
Old 10-09-08, 12:20 PM

My first online app this year was approved 10/1, second overall this year.
Old 10-09-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always keep an account open to make sure I can get in on deals ASAP, and I have a second account that I recycle every now and then. There should've been an option for that sort of thing.

I also have a third account that they reopened for me that never gets Director's Selections that I have to respond to. No, I still haven't asked them to close that account up for good.
Old 10-09-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to do 4 or 5 a year. I've had one ch and one columbiahouse account open for more than a year. I have taken advantage of some of the great deals lately, but haven't felt the need to cycle. Probably has more to do with blu-ray than anything else.